What's new

What beginner Razor go buy?

My Slim is a 62' and it's probably my favorite vintage razor right now. I love my 63' flare tip too! I just received my first 195 today (a 59') and I'll be shaving with it tonight. The old Gillette's are awesome and they've made me ignore (and sell some) of my modern razors.

Edit: Can't ignore my Schick in this post. My Krona is fantastic as well, Lol!!
I have zero interest in all the new razors that so many here are focused on. My current flair tip is a '64 and I have a '54 Super Speed as well. 8 out of my 10 razors are vintage Gillettes. I'd put the quality of my shaves with those old razors up against anyone else's.

Rockwell or GC 68 and I would say just by the 84 GC plate also so you have it and can play

never used a Rockwell but the idea of the plates I do think is good since so many know them and you get to play with various gaps and starts you down the road of this great hobby :)

IMHO just embrace it and get both and compare them :) hahahaha

had a 34c as my first if I could do it over would skip it just not the same class as the two above IMHO I did pass it forward to a friend wanting to try DE shaving though

I have my dads old Vintage and I can see folks liking them but to me rather have a newer one YMMV :)

Do you think the gamechanger 0.84 would be okay for a beginner?

Good question, and it might depend on how you shave.

The GC is a thing of functional beauty (thin, agile head compared with the bulkier Rockwell), but my .68 felt more like R4 than R5 (.69mm).

Soon enough, I got a GC.84P on ebay, and it was much more effective for a basic N to S (down your face) shave, but "a bit much" to use S to N (against the grain), which is probably where a newbie (or anyone) is going to experience the worst of their user error.

When I set out deliberately to either make friends with it or get rid of it, the GC.84P "became docile" (= I improved my shaving) after a week or so, and is now my favourite. Get a lighter handle, though, before you attempt to S to N with it.

When I bought my Game Changer I bought both. The extra plate is $30, no need to buy a second complete Game Changer.

Yes, budget and the weirdnesses of ItalianBarber permitting, get yourself both plates up front.

I still use the .68P if I want what I used to call a "work shave".

I have zero interest in all the new razors that so many here are focused on. My current flair tip is a '64 and I have a '54 Super Speed as well. 8 out of my 10 razors are vintage Gillettes. I'd put the quality of my shaves with those old razors up against anyone else's.
Definitely!
Stinks that it took me so long to find out. I think I'm down to like 7 moderns and up 8 vintage (and growing).

I have the GC 68-P and 84-P. The 84 is definitely a step up in aggressiveness and efficiency. How heavy/thick/coarse is your beard? Unless it's very heavy/thick/coarse I'd suggest the 68-P for a newbie. When I bought my Game Changer I bought both. The extra plate is $30, no need to buy a second complete Game Changer. And then it qualifies for free shipping as well.

Maybe I'll just buy both then and go from there.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money, but it's probably better to spend a bit extra and get a razor that is good quality vs buying a bunch of cheaper razors.

Is the open comb one good or just get the regular one?

I don't know if I have a heavy/coarse /thick beard or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20220818_214052.jpg
    IMG_20220818_214052.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 8

If all you want to do is a basic N-S, then the GC.84OC would be OK. It's not pleasant to use ATG though, IMHO.

If you want to do a multi-pass shave, stick to the safety bar editions of Game Changer, which are much more comfortable for that.

If you like to shave once a week, then open combs would be a good option, they work better on long stubble.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
When I first started wet shaving I used half DE shavettes only. My first DE razor was a Merkur Progress. I figured if they had been selling this design from around the 1950s they must have got something right. It's adjustable with a turn of the knob so no extra expense in buying plates. You can dial it it in and just leave it at the same number or start at a higher number and go down or up with each pass. I'm just a Noob myself and only have a few razors but my progress is still one of my favorite razors out of my small collection.

I'd throw a vintage Gillette Ball End Tech into your equation. But I prefer vintage razors in the first place. Here's a photo from pinterest of a gold one. I've got one like this and it's nickel equivalent.

proxy.php

Any of the above Vintage razors would be a great choice. In addition to my favorite open comb models, I'm a big Tech fan. Today's shave was a Fat Handle Pre War Tech vs a Parker Semi Slant. Theparker is one of my few non-vintage razors. It shaves well, but the Tech is better. And it comes im a multitude of styles - even the clones work well.
View attachment 1507450
View attachment 1507447

One overlooked and under appreciated razor is the cheap and lowly Schick Krona. i have several and thyey give a superior shave with almost all blades. in fact, I use mine most recently with blades that have done several shaves, and are at the end of their best shaves in other razors - in the Krona they have several smooth and close shaves left.
View attachment 1507448
Definitely agree that a tech is a good choice for anyone. If you like a TTO razor then I would recommend a Gillette aristocrat
68AA6612-B179-46DA-BA1C-D718407B2DDA.jpeg

Got one of those too but they may be a bit more expensive and aggressive than a ball end Tech although I LOVE my '48-50ish Aristocrat.
The 1948-50 in my experience is more aggressive than the tech but not by much. I would consider both of them on the mild end of the spectrum

The 1948-50 in my experience is more aggressive than the tech but not by much. I would consider both of them on the mild end of the spectrum
As I have no "aggressive" razors, I'll take your world for it. All of mine are mild to medium mild IMO save for the two adjustables which go to 9. ;)

I'm always curious, when someone says something is a "game changer", it's a game changer for who, exactly?
Can't tell if you were kidding or serious so my response might sound silly.
But here goes:
I think he means a Henson and also a Razorock Gamechanger. 2 different razors!
Henson for daily shaving and the RR Gamechanger for when he's got more stubble on non daily shaves.

Can't tell if you were kidding or serious so my response might sound silly.
But here goes:
I think he means a Henson and also a Razorock Gamechanger. 2 different razors!
Henson for daily shaving and the RR Gamechanger for when he's got more stubble on non daily shaves.
No, I wasn't kidding. It's just that I have no idea what these boutique shavers are talking about half of the time. So "Gamechanger" is also a brand which, had I understood, might have suggested to keep my mouth shut. ;) Boy, I love the old school world of shaving so much more.

I'm always curious, when someone says something is a "game changer", it's a game changer for who, exactly?
I did not mean the Henson was a game changer. I was referring to the Game Changer.
The Henson can just be a good beginner razor. It can also lead to developing "bad" habits, because it might be a little too forgiving.

No, I wasn't kidding. It's just that I have no idea what these boutique shavers are talking about half of the time. So "Gamechanger" is also a brand which, had I understood, might have suggested to keep my mouth shut. ;) Boy, I love the old school world of shaving so much more.
LOL!
Gamechanger is a model of a razor made by Razorock. They are made in Canada (and so are the Henson's which is a different company).

As I have no "aggressive" razors, I'll take your world for it. All of mine are mild to medium mild IMO save for the two adjustables which go to 9. ;)
No adjustables yet though I have thought about getting a fatboy if I can find one in decent shape for a reasonable price. The only razor I have that I would call “aggressive” is my Gillette old type. The rest I would call mild

Aggressive:
7D4F13D0-D34C-4E52-A250-CB7CB11DD158.jpeg

Mild:
395D067A-6372-46AB-9390-F0CD6AD250CB.jpeg

Maybe I'll just buy both then and go from there.

I didn't want to spend a lot of money, but it's probably better to spend a bit extra and get a razor that is good quality vs buying a bunch of cheaper razors.

I don't know if I have a heavy/coarse /thick beard or not.

Your beard looks average to me. I would suggest the regular safety bar unless you only shave every 3 or 4 days/once a week, then in that case the open comb may be a better choice.

Top Bottom