What's new

What beginner Razor go buy?

My apologies to the thread! -embarrassed emoji-
This is from their site.
"Why did we call this razor the Game Changer? It's really simple! This razor was produced to a standard that is superior to razors which typically costs 4-8 times the price, yet in usual RazoRock fashion, we are bringing you the highest standards of quality at a price everyone can afford. The RazoRock Game Changer is built to last a lifetime, machined from marine grade billet stainless steel, the same way a Swiss watch case is machined. This is a razor you can depend on forever!"

I also would suggest a Game Changer I have 3 heads the .68P .84P & .68OC. Rarely use the .68OC but my favorite is the .68P. Never disappoints me. I can use it with my eyes close & still get a great shave with no drama. But I don't find the .84P to be dramatically that different & can also use it every day. I find the .84P a little more efficient but prefer .68P because on my face it's smoother & not too far behind the .84P.

I have a 6C was the second razor I bought. It's a great razor. But I prefer compact heads like the Game Changer uses for getting under your nose. Have not used my 6C in a long time but hope to pass it to one of my kids.

I would not buy a "beginner" razor...whatever that is....all DE safety razors
are built on the same principle and the guard will protect you unless
it is an inherently aggressive design...these are a handful (ikon tech, Muhle 41 etc)
and can be weeded out quickly.

If I had hindsight, I would do things very differently....I would go straight for the
best razor I could afford. Something I would use for a few years, possibly keep for life.
In todays market I would choose the Athena. Not super expensive, made by a pro engineer
who knows what he's doing....great price/performance ratio.

The alternative would be buy the cheapest razor...then keep upgrading, tossing, buying, trading
until you run through a few thousand $... maybe more. Some people love the chase
and that's cool....no judgements...I only speak for myself, and to the question the OP posed.

Based on my 50 years of shaving I recommend that you go slow w buying new stuff until you’ve perfected your technique. Maybe 6 months of good shaves.
I must disagree w the endorsements of some of my B&B brothers. The Weishi model you are using is a poor performer. If you can get a decent shave out of it you are using good technique, but I doubt you’re getting the best shave you could get.
Likewise the Krona would be a bad choice. Very finicky with a very narrow angle of attack. It can shave well but it is difficult.
I recommend the Gillette Tech or SuperSpeed. Super user friendly, well made, inexpensive, they shave 90% of all faces well. They are the most popular razors of all time for a reason.
If you must have a new razor, I’d choose the Lord L5 (a Tech clone) or Lord L6 ( Merkur style). Wonderful shavers; less than $8 on the web.
The ultimate for great shaves in a user-friendly design are the Schick injectors. So easy to use and best shaves possible. The E, G and J models are the best IMHO.
In the Schicks, use only Chinese made “Schicks” in the yellow package. In the DE’s I prefer the Lord Platinum or other Lord family blades.
So there’s my 2 cents. Best wishes and great shaves!

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My razor journey is a bit odd, based on reading posts here for the last 6 months. I did a lot of research on YouTube. I hadn't found B&B at this point. I ended up really enjoy the videos Brian Mulreany, the former owner of Executive Shaving Company in Scotland, had on YouTube. I had decided to buy one of their Outlaw razors so I started up an email conversation with him. In one of the emails, Brian suggested I buy one of their newly released Claymore Evolutions. He had been using one himself since they had received their first shipment.

It was far more expensive than I thought I'd be willing to pay for a razor. I watched his videos on YouTube... chatted with him on their site for a while. I'm so glad I did. In case the OP isn't aware, the Claymore Evo is an Artist Club (AC) razor. It uses longer and thicker blades than a double edge razor... and only has a "single edge". As always, YMMV (your mileage may vary), but for me, it's been a perfect fit. It was very intuitive for me. That's all I used for the first 5+ months of my wet shaving journey.

Finding B&B has been the next best thing for me. I've had a blast here this past 6 months. I've learned sooooo much, thanks to the gentle guidance by the very fine people here.

I just stuck my toe into the Gillette Vintage razor genre a few weeks ago. I bought a British Flat Bottom Tech and have really enjoyed shaving with it. It's a bit more mild and less efficient than my Claymore Evo but it's been a joy to use something a bit different. I have one more Vintage Gillette being delivered today, i.e., the British NEW Raised Bottom razor.. manufactured in 1933. It should be fun as well.

I totally agree with Fiddler, with one caveat.... I'd do a lot of reading here and try to find people with a lot of experience with different razors at different price points. I would then engage them in conversation and benefit from their collective knowledge. I'm doing that right now myself, so I'm following my own advice. I'm still deciding if I'm going to add modern DE razor. I've been talking to several people here or just reading their posts... people like @Fiddler, and many others. So many people here have shaved with a variety of different razors, it only makes sense to learn from their experiences. The most challenging thing might be finding people who share the same whisker types, shaving habits, face contours, etc., but it can be done through observation, interaction on various threads and PMs as well.

Sorry for the long post, but I think the best advice for a newbie is.... do a LOT of reading before you start buying stuff. Make sure to check out the journal threads. They don't show up on "new posts" so you have to access them through the Forums list. You can read how other people learned along the way.

Most of us show up here with at least one razor. Learn to use it unless you just aren't getting along with it and it is the razor, not your technique. But when you are a newbie, you don't know what the problem is.... razor, blade selection or technique.... You don't know what you don't know until you know. So..... read a lot... ask lots of questions.... read a lot more... Then make changes slowly.... the same goes with brushes, soaps and every other related thing here.

I have a Rockwell 6S, which is apparently the same as the 6C but in a different material. Unless you have money to spare on the 6S, I suggest you get the 6C. And if you have skin like mine -- slightly more delicate than undercooked Jell-O -- get one now.

I have a 6S and I love it. My only complaint are the exposed blade tabs.

When I switched to DE shaving, I spent years using garbage Edwin Jagger and similar razors. I thought bleeding and pain from shaving was normal all that time. I don't even want to tell the story of the time I tried a Feather blade with an Edwin Jagger razor. Ugh. I'm surprised police weren't called. An ambulance nearly was.

You shouldn't spend a fortune when starting out, but you can't "perfect your technique" with a grossly imperfect tool.

Yeah, I know, 5,000 people will chime in saying they used Edwin Jagger without problems. Great. I'm envious. But my skin is like well-soaked rice paper, but not as tough.

Eventually, you will learn to be wary of razor finishes as well. I had the chrome plating on one of the Edwin "Freddy Kreuger" Jagger razors start coming off. While examining it with my thumb, the detached flake of chrome actually cut me. Good stuff.

I would not buy a "beginner" razor...whatever that is....all DE safety razors
are built on the same principle and the guard will protect you unless
it is an inherently aggressive design...these are a handful (ikon tech, Muhle 41 etc)
and can be weeded out quickly.

If I had hindsight, I would do things very differently....I would go straight for the
best razor I could afford. Something I would use for a few years, possibly keep for life.
In todays market I would choose the Athena. Not super expensive, made by a pro engineer
who knows what he's doing....great price/performance ratio.

The alternative would be buy the cheapest razor...then keep upgrading, tossing, buying, trading
until you run through a few thousand $... maybe more. Some people love the chase
and that's cool....no judgements...I only speak for myself, and to the question the OP posed.
Or, one could buy any number of the vintage Gillettes already mentioned. The ones I own have been working for a half century or more built by men who'd figured it out decades ago. If those aren't "lifetime" razors, I don't know what is.

Hey everyone,

I ordered the RazoRock Gamechanger 0.68; 0.84 P with the HD handle.

I'm in Canada so I might as well support a product made in Canada.

The vintage razors looked interesting but seemed stressful on which one to choose and how to go about buying them. There are so many options to choose from.

The Rockwell 6c/6s seems like a good buy too, but tedious to adjust razors. Also, the 6s is too expensive and the 6c is better priced, but the material on the 6c is questionable for long term sustainability.

Some of the Razors where located in USA and I didn't want to deal with import fees, shipping, etc...

Hopefully this will be the good beginner friendly razor. I didn't want to dive too deep into the rabbit hole of DE razors.

Thanks for all the insight and advice everyone!

Hey everyone,

The vintage razors looked interesting but seemed stressful on which one to choose and how to go about buying them. There are so many options to choose from.

The Rockwell 6c/6s seems like a good buy too, but tedious to adjust razors. Also, the 6s is too expensive and the 6c is better priced, but the material on the 6c is questionable for long term sustainability.

Some of the Razors where located in USA and I didn't want to deal with import fees, shipping, etc...

Hopefully this will be the good beginner friendly razor. I didn't want to dive too deep into the rabbit hole of DE razors.

Congrats on a good choice! Let us know how it goes. I suggest staying with the .68 for several shaves (at least 6 or 7) before giving the .84 a try.

Or, one could buy any number of the vintage Gillettes already mentioned. The ones I own have been working for a half century or more built by men who'd figured it out decades ago. If those aren't "lifetime" razors, I don't know what is.
"... built by men who'd figured it out decades ago." THIS is the soul of American innovation, and says it all.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Hey everyone,

I think that's a great start. I don't own any Razo Rock razors but they are sure loved here by many.... and as you stated, being in Canada, you'll get yours right away...

Since you would like to support Canada, take a look at Canada Shaving Soap... what a great unscented product. We're going to be traveling for a month and that's the only soap I'm taking unless I find some extra space. <eg> (evil grin) ;)

Hello everyone,

I bought a cheap qshave razor to try and see how double edge razor is.

So far I like it, but thinking I should get something better quality.

It looks like this

I was thinking of getting the game changer 0.68 or perhaps the rockwell 6c because I can try different heads.

WWhat's a good beginner Shaver to recommend?

I really only use the Shaver for my neck and don't let it grow out too much. I also have sensitive skin.

Thanks!
New eet shaver for last dic months and started off with GC .68 and liked it alot. It is is a mold re azor and easy to use. I upgraded to a Lupo .72 and will add a open comb for the GC soon. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Some vintage razors fm Gillette are great....for me its the #15,16,21 sets.
UK RedTip, RFB #77 (these are titanic achievements)

However, I do believe that given the advances in equipment and materials, contemporary
brands are pushing the envelope with modern day razors. With advanced materials,
manufacturing, design and smoother head geometries

Some Gillettes still stand out in this day and age. But the modern offerings have started
to pull ahead by quite a bit.

Some vintage razors fm Gillette are great....for me its the #15,16,21 sets.
UK RedTip, RFB #77 (these are titanic achievements)

However, I do believe that given the advances in equipment and materials, contemporary
brands are pushing the envelope with modern day razors. With advanced materials,
manufacturing, design and smoother head geometries

Some Gillettes still stand out in this day and age. But the modern offerings have started
to pull ahead by quite a bit.
So some people claim. Not the least of whom are those trying to reinvent the wheel and profit from it. If that's your belief, enjoy the shave.

I can't offer much advice on new razors, as I only have 1 - a Parker that my wife bought me when I told her I wanted to try DE shaving 6 years ago. Since then, I've acquired a pretty good sized vintage razor collection, and I'd say you can't go wrong with a vintage Gillette. Their earlier 3-piece models were more aggressive, but around the late 30s/early 40s, they started putting out some pretty smooth razors, the most popular being the Tech. The early TTO models, the Ranger Tech, and '46-'47 Aristocrat, are my favorites. After that, the head style change ever so slightly, when they introduced the notched T-bar for pulling the blades out of their blade pack dispensers, but they're all great.

If you find and purchase vintage razors online, you're probably going to end up paying more, especially if you get into bidding wars, but my experience has been that if you visit antique stores and estate sales, you can find some really great bargains.

Good luck!!

So some people claim. Not the least of whom are those trying to reinvent the wheel and profit from it. If that's your belief, enjoy the shave.

Im not quoting claims

Merely my opinion that is shaped by using 20-30 highly acclaimed vintage razors
and a whole raft of modern offerings.

Vintage? Modern? The world is our oyster.

There are razors that suit every budgeting philosophy.

Ive moved on from vintage...altho I remember them as I would
an old lover. Out with Ursula Andress, in with Scarlet Johannson.

Welcome to B&B.
What's a good beginner Shaver to recommend?
There is no such thing as a "biginner" razor as technique is more important. With good technique you can use many razors but also how often ypou shave is just as important.
Your choice of the GameChanger .68 will serve you well and is ideal for daily shavers. The .84 plate will punish poor technique so stick with the .68 for a while.

Top Bottom