What's new

What beginner Razor go buy?

Hello everyone,

I bought a cheap qshave razor to try and see how double edge razor is.

So far I like it, but thinking I should get something better quality.

It looks like this

I was thinking of getting the game changer 0.68 or perhaps the rockwell 6c because I can try different heads.

WWhat's a good beginner Shaver to recommend?

I really only use the Shaver for my neck and don't let it grow out too much. I also have sensitive skin.

Thanks!

Welcome!

Your qshave razor is actually a Weishi 9306, they are sold under several different brand names.

You've made two excellent choices with the Game Changer .68-P and the Rockwell 6C.

Another razor I will suggest for you is sold under two brands: The Razor Company (sold on their website) and Simple Clean Shave (sold on Etsy).

If you'd like to try vintage razors, I'd suggest a Gillette Slim.

All of these are in the $50 and under price range.

As @Big_T said above, your razor is very likely a Weishi 9306 rebrand. I have one with the Van Der Hagen branding. It's a pretty good clone of a 1960s-1970s era Gillette Super Speed. Provided your razor doesn't have any manufacturing defects it should work pretty well. Before succumbing to RAD ("razor acquisition disorder" if you're not familiar) I would recommend practicing getting good shaves with it before buying other razors. The important parts are 1) Use good slick lather, 2) Don't press the razor to your skin, and 3) find the proper angle for the razor.

The Game Changer 0.68 or the Rockwell 6C would probably be the two that would get my vote for something around $50, even if you hadn't mentioned them.

Out of the two, I'd lean towards the Game Changer since I think it's one of the best values out there. Beautifully made, 316 Stainless, and great performance all for $55 is a pretty hard to beat.

The Game Changer 0.68 or the Rockwell 6C would probably be the two that would get my vote for something around $50, even if you hadn't mentioned them.

Out of the two, I'd lean towards the Game Changer since I think it's one of the best values out there. Beautifully made, 316 Stainless, and great performance all for $55 is a pretty hard to beat.

Do you think the gamechanger 0.84 would be okay for a beginner?

I'd throw a vintage Gillette Ball End Tech into your equation. But I prefer vintage razors in the first place. Here's a photo from pinterest of a gold one. I've got one like this and it's nickel equivalent.

proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would of recommended not to long ago a Razorock SLOC 3 pc for a good starter razor, comes with a stainless steel handle and is a mild to tame mid range.
But a very impressive adjustable I own and enjoy a lot + very nice for a Newbie or seasoned shaver would be a Yaqi adjustable TFC based off the famous Gibbs 1930's adjustable razor. setting #1 is mild range and #3 mid range #6> upper mid range and gives a person some choice of finding his or her sweet spot with out buying all kinds of different razors looking for your razor + affordable IMO. I used one this morning and had a wonderful shave.

DE SOTD, Thursday August 18th 2022

Razor : Yaqi adjustable the final cut(AKA TFC)- Mfg 2021, excellent all range adjustable razor, well built and designed similar to the 1930's Gibbs razor but takes regular standard Gillette blades. I get close shaves with this head design with the scalloped safety bar that lifts those flat laying whiskers + allows lather to blade edge better IMO.
Blade : Gillette Polsilver SI(3) sharp & smooth with great longevity.
Soap :Tabac, clean flowery scent with excellent lather qualities. Tripled milled and get my whiskers prepared better than a lot of soaps. More alkalised possibly? It is a thirsty soap also but results are good!
Brush : Yaqi Ferrari 24mm boar bristle, Excellent lather generator, super soft split end bristle tips, nice splay scrub + great lather painter. I really enjoy this brush and took a inexpensive chance on this brush because of damaged handle sale.
Pre shave : (Dedicated Cashmere synthetic)Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser with a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep : Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG(3) + ATG(3) + pickups setting(4).
Post shave : Razorock Emperor with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizing lotion(scentless).
Results :CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers=:a17: Excellent shave with my Yaqi adjustable TFC with a Polsilver SI blade.
SOTD August 18 2022.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Do you think the gamechanger 0.84 would be okay for a beginner?

I have the GC 68-P and 84-P. The 84 is definitely a step up in aggressiveness and efficiency. How heavy/thick/coarse is your beard? Unless it's very heavy/thick/coarse I'd suggest the 68-P for a newbie. When I bought my Game Changer I bought both. The extra plate is $30, no need to buy a second complete Game Changer. And then it qualifies for free shipping as well.

My starting razor was the Rockwell 6s. And I'm still using it (though I bought a Leaf Twig and really like it). It's taken me a while to get used to the R5 plate, but I'm a slow learner.

Rockwell 6s/c blade gaps:
Rockwell-Blade-Gap.png

Any of the above Vintage razors would be a great choice. In addition to my favorite open comb models, I'm a big Tech fan. Today's shave was a Fat Handle Pre War Tech vs a Parker Semi Slant. Theparker is one of my few non-vintage razors. It shaves well, but the Tech is better. And it comes im a multitude of styles - even the clones work well.
Fat Handle Techs.jpg

All Techs to post.jpg

One overlooked and under appreciated razor is the cheap and lowly Schick Krona. i have several and thyey give a superior shave with almost all blades. in fact, I use mine most recently with blades that have done several shaves, and are at the end of their best shaves in other razors - in the Krona they have several smooth and close shaves left.
Krona 2.jpg

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I bought a cheap qshave razor to try and see how double edge razor is.

So far I like it, but thinking I should get something better quality.

It looks like this

I was thinking of getting the game changer 0.68 or perhaps the rockwell 6c because I can try different heads.

WWhat's a good beginner Shaver to recommend?

I really only use the Shaver for my neck and don't let it grow out too much. I also have sensitive skin.

Thanks!
When I started DE shaving, I went through tons of modern razors that eventually led me to find my preferences. But my method was an expensive start for a beginner! I soon discovered that their are many factors involved that you'll eventually discover: Blade gap, blade exposure, razor weight, head size, handle length, etc..
And then there is the vintage stuff (which I'm currently into).
It can all seem rather complicated for someone new!
So here's my take on what I would do if I'd have to do it all over again:

I would buy a standard adjustable first!
A Pearl Flexi, Parker Variant or a Merkur Progress. And if you like Vintage, you can get a Gillette Slim or a Super adjustable.
and I'd buy a blade sampler that brings different blades to try out. The blades that you use are also an important component to your preferential shave.

With an adjustable, you'll be able to start with the lowest setting and incrementally go up with subsequent shaves till you find a preferred setting. That different gap setting isn't everything but it will get you in the ballpark for knowing what will work for you. And you can try the different settings with different blades. I'm personally not a fan of razors like the Rockwell. With the Rockwell you need to change plates. With a standard adjustable, you just have to turn a knob. It's easier and you don't have other plates lying around. That's just my preference though.
Anyways, this is just another suggestion for you to look at!
I wish you luck,
LRod

Last edited:
When I started DE shaving, I went through tons of modern razors that eventually led me to find my preferences. But my method was an expensive start for a beginner! I soon discovered that their are many factors involved that you'll eventually discover: Blade gap, blade exposure, razor weight, head size, handle length, etc..
And then their is the vintage stuff (which I'm now into)
It can all seem rather complicated for someone new!
So here's my take on what I would do if I'd have to do it all over again:

I would buy an adjustable!
A Pearl Flexi, Parker Variant or a Merkur Progress. And if you like Vintage, you can get a Gillette Slim or a Super adjustable.
and I'd buy a blade sampler that brings different blades to try out. The blades that you use are also an important component to your preferential shave.

With an adjustable, you'll be able to start with the lowest setting and incrementally go up with subsequent shaves till you find a preferred setting. That different gap setting isn't everything but it will get you in the ballpark for knowing what works for you. And you can try the different settings with different blades. I'm personally not a fan of razors like the Rockwell. With the Rockwell you need to change plates. With a standard adjustable, you just have to turn a knob. It's easier and you don't have other plates lying around. That's just my preference though.
Anyways, this is just another suggestion for you to look at!
I wish you luck,
LRod
Good point on the adjustable! I love both my old 195 (1961) and my new Slim (1963). Just got the Slim yesterday and have used it twice. Great idea for a new shaver. When I started shaving in the mid-60's, the Slim was a current model but I think I started with a regular flair tip Super Speed. The Slim would have been better.

Good point on the adjustable! I love both my old 195 (1961) and my new Slim (1963). Just got the Slim yesterday and have used it twice. Great idea for a new shaver. When I started shaving in the mid-60's, the Slim was a current model but I think I started with a regular flair tip Super Speed. The Slim would have been better.
My Slim is a 62' and it's probably my favorite vintage razor right now. I love my 63' flare tip too! I just received my first 195 today (a 59') and I'll be shaving with it tonight. The old Gillette's are awesome and they've made me ignore (and sell some) of my modern razors.

Edit: Can't ignore my Schick in this post. My Krona is fantastic as well, Lol!!

Top Bottom