What's new

What beginner Razor go buy?

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The first two postings already gave great advice!

Just my two cents:

When I started wetshaving, I was sure about these two things:
1. that I have Sensitive Skin
2. and that an adjustable razor would probably suit me best

I bought a Mühle R89. That's the same as the Edwin Jagger DE89. Didn't give me a better shave than my Gillette Mach or Fusion, no idea what I used at that time.
I was MASSIVELY disappointed, also because I read shaving forums recommending it to beginners.

I later got a Mühle R41 and cut me bloody on the 2nd shave with it as I used a Feather, not my favorite blade anymore (but still in frequent use. Have still 100-200 blades), but for sure sharp and the perfect pick to kill a newbie.
I went on for quite some years and after trial and error picked the Polsilver Super Iridium as my favorite blade. My username on B&B derives from them. Soon after they were sold out and out of production. :(
I also tried a Merkur 15C. That's a short handle Merkur. I liked it better than the R89, but still preferred the supposedly monstrous R41. Which taught be good shaving by biting when I failed. Very literally.

Adjustables: I got a Futur, a clone Futur, later I got some more, and in the end a Rockwell 6S: Turns one when I am not completely satisfied, no amount of turning up or down or changing blades changes this impression considerably.

It's a possibly expensive journey of trial and error, but it can also be fun.

In the end I came to the total opposite of my initial misconceptions:
1. I don't have sensitive skin
2. I don't need or want adjustable razors

The latter might change... over time. :)

Edit: I would suggest the Game Changer .84 SB or the Lupo .95 OC.

Please post your test drive, you might help other people to choose. Good luck! :thumbup:

Update: I got my RazoRock Gamechanger 0.68; 0.84 P in the mail today.

I did half my face with the 0.68 and the other half with the 0.84

My facial hair is fairly thin and not thick since I recently shaved a week or two ago.

I like how efficient the 0.84 is, but I did get some nicks and cuts around my adams apple.

I find the 0.68 a safer option for everyday shaving and it appears to be more forgiving around my adams apple and mouth/upper lip. It does take a couple more passes though when compared to the 0.84 option.

When compared to my old razor the newer one is much heavier. My old one opens when you spin from the bottom, so I was trying to spin the bottom and thought who ever put this on must have been a machine. I then realized it opened from the top, lol.

Overall, I'm pleased with the RazoRock Gamechanger 0.68; 0.84 P.

I'll be using the 0.68P moving forward because it's more forgiving and my facial hair doesn't get that long. I'll use this until I get confident with a double edge razor then use the 0.84P. I could also use the 0.84P for my face then switch to the 0.68P for Adams apple; mouth, but that's time consuming.

I'm happy that I bought both heads at the get go vs buying the head; handle and then buying another additional head later on (additional shipping charges).

For $89.25 USD, this is a great beginner Razor and I hope to use it for an extended period of time.

PS: take my review with a grain of salt because I only own 2 double edge saftey razors, lol.

Update: I got my RazoRock Gamechanger 0.68; 0.84 P in the mail today.

I did half my face with the 0.68 and the other half with the 0.84

My facial hair is fairly thin and not thick since I recently shaved a week or two ago.

I like how efficient the 0.84 is, but I did get some nicks and cuts around my adams apple.

I find the 0.68 a safer option for everyday shaving and it appears to be more forgiving around my adams apple and mouth/upper lip. It does take a couple more passes though when compared to the 0.84 option.

When compared to my old razor the newer one is much heavier. My old one opens when you spin from the bottom, so I was trying to spin the bottom and thought who ever put this on must have been a machine. I then realized it opened from the top, lol.

Overall, I'm pleased with the RazoRock Gamechanger 0.68; 0.84 P.

I'll be using the 0.68P moving forward because it's more forgiving and my facial hair doesn't get that long. I'll use this until I get confident with a double edge razor then use the 0.84P. I could also use the 0.84P for my face then switch to the 0.68P for Adams apple; mouth, but that's time consuming.

I'm happy that I bought both heads at the get go vs buying the head; handle and then buying another additional head later on (additional shipping charges).

For $89.25 USD, this is a great beginner Razor and I hope to use it for an extended period of time.

PS: take my review with a grain of salt because I only own 2 double edge saftey razors, lol.

Thanks for posting a test drive, @Rgbgamingchair. Sounds like a good plan. I used the easygoing .68 for quite a while before swapping to the .84.

You can also shim the .68 with 1 x 0.1mm, to get performance that is roughly in-between.

Most of the weight is in those big steel RazoRock handles, not the GC heads. If you find their default a bit clunky, an inexpensive aluminium handle makes it a lot more agile. Mine weighs in at 55g with a Windrose 84mm x 13mm handle,

DSCN4800_compressed.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom