What's new

What Are You Reading?

I'd like to be reading Johnny Rotten's (Lydon) new book "I Could Be Wrong, I Could Be Right", instead of sitting in front of the computer, but the UK limited edition is bl**dy expensive. We're in the process of moving, and the township and buyer inspectors are going thru the house today. If any spare change is left after we move, I plan to pick up a copy.

"I Could Be Wrong, I Could Be Right"
The king is gone but he's not forgotten. This is the story of Johnny Rotten.

Sorry! I could not resist. This is an expensive and limited edition book. Gets good press though. Sounds like a fun read.

BTW, I do not seem compelled to keep reading The Overstory. I do not know why. I was liking it. I assume I will naturally get around to finishing it and promise to report when I do!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just finished reading all 14 books from Robert Jordan’s Wheel Of Time Series.

I am now going to listen to War And Peace via Nook Audiobooks. Complete and Unabridged.
I think it’s about 60 hours. Maybe more.
Never made it through W&P. I find Tolstoy boring (didn’t finish Anna Karenina either). It isn’t the length, it is the story.

Never made it through W&P. I find Tolstoy boring (didn’t finish Anna Karenina either). It isn’t the length, it is the story.

Exactly. There's no rule that says you have to finish every book thar others deem great. If you had to take a test on it it, you could always bluff your way through with the notes. (Anyone remember Cliff and Monarch Notes?)

Cheers,

Gauthier

Exactly. There's no rule that says you have to finish every book thar others deem great. If you had to take a test on it it, you could always bluff your way through with the notes. (Anyone remember Cliff and Monarch Notes?)

Cheers,

Gauthier

in the early 2000s, as the last WoT books were being published, I would do re-reads of the detailed Wikipedia entries for each of the previous books before diving into the new one.

Dune Messiah, Frank Herbert. Finally read Dune for the first time back in February, and it was tremendous. Enjoying the second book so far.

I set myself a modest goal of reading an average of 2 books a month for 2020, and while I slacked off a bit, I made up for it over the summer. This is book #22, with two months to go!

After putting my mind to it, I finished Hilary Mantel’s Beyond Black. I must say, it was one of the best books I have read in years. Totally original, compelling and a page turner to the end. It is also very dark, as the title suggests, and deeply disturbing in so many levels.

I’m moving on to Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Just got Lee and Andrew Child's new Jack Reacher book The Sentinel. it is getting some reviews along the lines "of this is not the Jack Reacher I know and love, too talky, too touchie feelie."

I am about 1/3 of the way through already. I am loving it. So far more than the last three or so Reacher books. Plenty of action.

I need to start posting here, as I read a lot. Currently reading New Suns: Original Speculative Fiction by People of Color, an anthology of short stories of science and speculative fiction. Edited by Nisi Shawl, authors include Indraprimat Das, E. Lily Yu, Rebecca Roanhorse, Anil Menon, and more. I'm a little more than halfway through and the stories have been excellent.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Just got Lee and Andrew Child's new Jack Reacher book The Sentinel. it is getting some reviews along the lines "of this is not the Jack Reacher I know and love, too talky, too touchie feelie."

I am about 1/3 of the way through already. I am loving it. So far more than the last three or so Reacher books. Plenty of action.

you intrigued me so I looked it up. Holy moly! There’s like 25 books! Guess I better get started.

Good to hear..., I'll pick that one up this at the library morning.

Currently reading C.J. Box' Savage Run (Joe Pickett #2). Almost two books in and it's great series so far.
I’m moving on to Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro.

^ That's a good read.

_

Top Bottom