What's new

What Are You Reading?

in the early 2000s, as the last WoT books were being published, I would do re-reads of the detailed Wikipedia entries for each of the previous books before diving into the new one.
About 6 months before a new WoT book was due out I would start reading the whole series again so the story was fresh when I started a new book. Needless to say I have read this series many many times :lol:

Just got Lee and Andrew Child's new Jack Reacher book The Sentinel. it is getting some reviews along the lines "of this is not the Jack Reacher I know and love, too talky, too touchie feelie."

I am about 1/3 of the way through already. I am loving it. So far more than the last three or so Reacher books. Plenty of action.
I really enjoyed the Reacher books, I'll need to find this one soon.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Just finished Killing Bono by Neil McCormick and thoroughly enjoyed it.

1604367209647.png

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Just finished Robert Alter's translation and commentary on Psalms. Alter is a Jewish professor of Hebrew and a true scholar. I've read through this every year for the past 3 now and it's excellent.

1604855070348.png

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Just finished a reread of the third installment in GRRM's A Song of Ice and Fire. Only a couple more thousand pagers to go! And then we still probably won't have The Winds of Winter :cryin:

1604944022534.png

Re-reading (for the umpteenth time) The Odyssey (Homer), but a new translation; this one by Robert Fagles.

It's... An okay translation; definitely more modern and therefore more approachable. Nowhere near as rich, or beautiful as the much older Robert Fitzgerald translation, though, in my opinion.
Odyssey.jpg

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Re-reading (for the umpteenth time) The Odyssey (Homer), but a new translation; this one by Robert Fagles.

It's... An okay translation; definitely more modern and therefore more approachable. Nowhere near as rich, or beautiful as the much older Robert Fitzgerald translation, though, in my opinion.
View attachment 1180089

The Fitzgerald translation has been on my "To Read" pile for a while now.....One of these days I intend to get around to it....

The Socrates Express, by Eric Weiner
Musonius Rufus, translated by Cynthia King
The Sentinel, by Lee and Andrew Child
Also, a bunch of final papers my students just submitted :mad2:

Looking forward to the new Michael Connelly. Will drop on Audible after midnight tonight some time.
It dropped this morning at 6:23 am. Seems fabulous so far. It seems to me that Connelly's actual prose is always several increments better than the competition.

A new Jo Nesbo book in out, too. I also bought that. Apparently not in the Harry Hole series, but still a thriller. It is getting good reviews as far as I can tell. Along the "impossible to put down" line. I like that.

Iam Rankin apparently has a new book out, too. I do not like him as much as Connelly and Nesbo, but some of his book shave been pretty good.

The Overstory can wait. I sort of ran out of steam on that one.

View attachment 1180089
I would be interested in your thoughts on the Fagles translation once you are finished. I have only ever read the Alexander Pope translation, and I loved that one once I got used to his style.

I would be interested in your thoughts on the Fagles translation once you are finished. I have only ever read the Alexander Pope translation, and I loved that one once I got used to his style.

I haven’t read either the Pope or Fitzgerald translations, but I have read Fagles and really enjoyed it. I also listened to Emily Wilson’s recent translation, which is more modern in its use of language, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I recommend listening to the audio versions if only because that is how Homer would have originally presented it.

I haven’t read either the Pope or Fitzgerald translations, but I have read Fagles and really enjoyed it. I also listened to Emily Wilson’s recent translation, which is more modern in its use of language, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I recommend listening to the audio versions if only because that is how Homer would have originally presented it.
I'll give that a shot! Thanks.

...I recommend listening to the audio versions if only because that is how Homer would have originally presented it.
I checked with my local antiquarian stockist and he assures me that Homer did not record any audiobooks.
However, in his day it may have been books-on-tape, so I'll have to keep looking.

I checked with my local antiquarian stockist and he assures me that Homer did not record any audiobooks.
However, in his day it may have been books-on-tape, so I'll have to keep looking.
Did you check for 8-track? 🤪

I ordered Fagles Iliad and Odyssey yesterday. I have never read either and for almost free on Kindle, it’s worth a shot.

Top Bottom