What's new

What Are You Reading?

Started reading my own novel again. It kind of got derailed at the 16th chapter (roughly 35k words in this sparsely written first draft), as I painted myself into a corner somewhat, and I couldn't find my way out of it. It's been sat untouched for about a year. Maybe more.

I'm reading it through again with a view to untangling it, and allow it to flow freely again. I have the ideas now to get it back heading in the right direction, but need to sow the seeds in the earlier chapters, so that they can take root, and grow and weave through the later ones. I hope to have the first draft completed, and have made a decent start on the sequel, by the end of the year.
I had a similar problem with a mystery novel back in 2013 or so. I found that my projected plot was far too complex. When I cut out one subplot, I lost a couple of characters (and good riddance), and it all smoothed out.

I'll have to see if I can find it on Tubi. Wyndham was the leading proponent of the British "How do we Brits handle an apocalypse" genre of SF, as seen here and in The Midwich Cuckoos and Out of the Deeps (which is really creepy). I seem to recall one about a new Ice Age overwhelming Britain, so that people have to wear Eskimo-style gear in the Reading Room of the British Museum, and all the tropical areas of Earth are teeming with those who've fled the cold. But maybe that was John (No Blade of Grass) Christopher's.

ETA: Yes, it was Christopher, The Long Winter, aka The World in Winter.

Ask and ye shall receive. It actually has very little in common with the book and is a poor substitute. The Midwich Cuckoos is on my reading list.

Have you tried Ellery Queen? His (their) whodunits are dazzling in plot, and Ellery the character grew and matured as the series went on from 1929 to 1973.
I read a lot of those when I was young and ran out of Agatha Christie books to read. Thanks for the reminder. I should revisit them.

Just started this for the first time, I read 1984 for the first time earlier this year.
4DE53D35-A65A-434F-AFDC-E5569036C641.jpeg

proxy.php

This has been such a great listen so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This one is on my list to read someday!

I love this one, and much more than 1984.
1984 did get monotonous a few times throughout the book, but overall I enjoyed it and appreciated the way he brought up the topics. It definitely made me think about the current landscape and what the potential consequences are of society’s actions as a whole. Glad to hear Animal Farm was better for you! If it is for me it should be a great read!

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
"The Dirty South" by John Connolly. So far, an exceptionally well written whodunit set in Clinton-era Arkansas. Connolly's prose is up to his storytelling.

With the Ken Burns documentary on PBS, I am now winding my way through Hemingway (many for the first time).
I have read "The Sun Also Rises" and "Death in the Afternoon". Now working through "To Have Or Have Not."

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
John Waters, Give Us Back the Bad Roads, which is a rejection of the materialist and secularist culture that has come to dominate Irish society since the 1990s.

Almost finished Frederick Forsyth's "The Outsider", his autobiography. Fascinating stuff, and pretty damning about the BBC and HMG's approach to the Nigerian Civil War, which was frankly a disgrace to our country.

The library in the suburb to my west has finally dropped the muzzle requirement, so I scooped up some goodies last week. Currently reading 1997's Backflash, one of the "Parker the tough anti-hero thief" series by Richard Stark (Donlad E. Westlake).

"River of Darkness" by Buddy Levy. A Spanish explorer. Journeys down the Amazon river in search of Eldorado or something like it. The book is amazing. It has the feel of the film 'Aggiure the Wrath of God'. Great oratorical story telling like Dickens or John Irving. So it makes an excellent book to listen to. When done I will go on to Levy's earlier work "Conquistador" which I hear is even better.

Top Bottom