What's new

What Are You Reading?

proxy.php

Finished The Man Who Loved China and started Korea, both by Simon Winchester. Read Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson, which was a great quick read.

proxy.php

I saw the movie as a kid more than 30 years ago and it scared the fool out of me. I just finished the book and plan to watch the old movie tonight for free on tubi. My understanding is that the movie deviated from the book a great deal.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
  • "Defying Hitler" by Sebastian Haffner. The author's posthumously published diary of watching the Nazi cancer grow in Germany of the 1930s.
  • "The Quick Fix: Why Fad Psychology Can't Cure Our Social Ills" by Jesse Singal. A critical look at the pop-psych and self-help industry.

I've spent about $3,000 on books this year. I mean real books. I didn't count Kindle books.

One book I enjoy is the New Life Application Study Bible. The NIV translation is excellent. I know Hebrew and Aramaic, so I can make that judgment. It's easier reading than the KJV.

However, the strong point is the maps, summaries, timelines, and other information in the commentaries. The commentaries are close to what's in Jewish sources. In addition, they have recommendations for improving our lives based on the passages.

I started reading in Joshua and now I'm in 2 Kings. I like to read slowly while writing notes. When I write, I write painstakingly slow. It often takes me an hour to read five pages. It's the endless cycle of sin, disaster, repentance, return that happens in most lives and countries. The reading encouraged me to isolate myself from most of society. I realized I can have any life I want just by living it and carefully choosing who I interact with.

I started writing "The Obadiah Movement." Obadiah was a prophet during the time of Elijah who hid 100 prophets to keep them from being killed. They stayed in caves for 100 years or so. This is a common thing during periods of persecution. I think I'll turn the caves into time tunnels so prophets of all times can meet inside.

"Obediah" means servant of God, and the book will be about Jews who isolate themselves from society to study the Torah. They build closed gated communities so they can observe their faith without interference. This is already happening around the world, but the movement has a different name.

Trying to get into The Funeral Party, a modern novel about Russian emigres in 1991 New York. Far too many of the characters have similar names, and I'm having a hard time (a) keeping them straight, and (b) getting interested in them at all.

On the other hand, the suburban public library to the west of me, I hear, has dropped all the face diaper nonsense, and they allow you to borrow from them even if you don't live in that district! I plan to stop by and load up a bag on Saturday.

I've spent about $3,000 on books this year. I mean real books. I didn't count Kindle books.

One book I enjoy is the New Life Application Study Bible. The NIV translation is excellent. I know Hebrew and Aramaic, so I can make that judgment. It's easier reading than the KJV.

However, the strong point is the maps, summaries, timelines, and other information in the commentaries. The commentaries are close to what's in Jewish sources. In addition, they have recommendations for improving our lives based on the passages.

I started reading in Joshua and now I'm in 2 Kings. I like to read slowly while writing notes. When I write, I write painstakingly slow. It often takes me an hour to read five pages. It's the endless cycle of sin, disaster, repentance, return that happens in most lives and countries. The reading encouraged me to isolate myself from most of society. I realized I can have any life I want just by living it and carefully choosing who I interact with.

I started writing "The Obadiah Movement." Obadiah was a prophet during the time of Elijah who hid 100 prophets to keep them from being killed. They stayed in caves for 100 years or so. This is a common thing during periods of persecution. I think I'll turn the caves into time tunnels so prophets of all times can meet inside.

"Obediah" means servant of God, and the book will be about Jews who isolate themselves from society to study the Torah. They build closed gated communities so they can observe their faith without interference. This is already happening around the world, but the movement has a different name.
Let us know when and where you publish! I’d love to read it!

I just finished The Prayer of Jabez by Bruce Wilkinson. Great read.

proxy.php

I saw the movie as a kid more than 30 years ago and it scared the fool out of me. I just finished the book and plan to watch the old movie tonight for free on tubi. My understanding is that the movie deviated from the book a great deal.
I'll have to see if I can find it on Tubi. Wyndham was the leading proponent of the British "How do we Brits handle an apocalypse" genre of SF, as seen here and in The Midwich Cuckoos and Out of the Deeps (which is really creepy). I seem to recall one about a new Ice Age overwhelming Britain, so that people have to wear Eskimo-style gear in the Reading Room of the British Museum, and all the tropical areas of Earth are teeming with those who've fled the cold. But maybe that was John (No Blade of Grass) Christopher's.

ETA: Yes, it was Christopher, The Long Winter, aka The World in Winter.

Something light and fun... Moonflower Murders by Anthony Horowitz.

I am a sucker for Agatha Christie and similar style whodunnits and the adult books Horowitz has recently written have all been excellent. His book-in-a-book stories are great reading and different.
Have you tried Ellery Queen? His (their) whodunits are dazzling in plot, and Ellery the character grew and matured as the series went on from 1929 to 1973.

Top Bottom