What's new

What Are You Reading?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I'm always reading several books at a time, so I seldom post in this thread. Right now I'm reading Mary Beard's SPQR, Rod Dreher's Live Not By Lies, Ward Farnsworth's The Practicing Stoic, and Maurice Fitzpatrick's The Boys of St Columb's. My "last 20 minutes before lights out" book right now is James Fenimore Cooper's The Deerslayer.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
The greatest cost of terrorism may be the public's response....rather than the attacks themselves

How very true. And not only the preventable deaths due to fear of flying as these researches postulate, I'm thinking of the whole trillions of dollars spent on the war on terror which may have helped precipitate the US economic crisis, the invasion of Iraq and all the civilian deaths, then a power vacuum that led to the rise of ISIS and Al Queda and their subsequent terror activities, the attacks in London, Paris, now Vienna, the list goes on and on and on.... Talk about a butterfly effect.....

Then there's all the little annoying things, like the fact I have to take off my freaking shoes every time I fly now, or my family can't meet me at the gate anymore, or I have to put all my liquids in 100mL bottles and put them in a little plastic baggie, can't carry my DE razor in my carry on bag.....

the psychological fallout of living in a post 9/11 society is immeasurable. I am certain it will go down in history as the defining event of our generation.....

Last edited:

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Currently reading The Snow Fell Three Graves Deep by my neighbor Allan Wolf, about the ill fated Donner Party of 1846-47.

1605806909246.png

Owen Bawn

FINALLY finished War and Peace last night. Only took me five months :) What a fantastic book! I could have done without the second epilogue, but what an incredible read. So glad I did it.
I just bought a Kindle collection of all of Tolstoy's writings on religion and spirituality for $1.06, though I haven't cracked it open yet.

How very true. And not only the preventable deaths due to fear of flying as these researches postulate, I'm thinking of the whole trillions of dollars spent on the war on terror which may have helped precipitate the US economic crisis, the invasion of Iraq and all the civilian deaths, then a power vacuum that led to the rise of ISIS and Al Queda and their subsequent terror activities, the attacks in London, Paris, now Vienna, the list goes on and on and on.... Talk about a butterfly effect.....

Then there's all the little annoying things, like the fact I have to take off my freaking shoes every time I fly now, or my family can't meet me at the gate anymore, or I have to put all my liquids in 100mL bottles and put them in a little plastic baggie, can't carry my DE razor in my carry on bag.....

the psychological fallout of living in a post 9/11 society is immeasurable. I am certain it will go down in history as the defining event of our generation.....

There is truth in all of that. Osama bin Laden did not say, as I recall, that he intended to kill a lot of Americans. He intended to pour sand into the gears of commerce to try to bring down the economy, as well, as to bring terror to our hearts and minds, to make us fearful and unhappy, and scarred. 2,763 people dead seems to be the final count for the World Trade Center.

2,403 are said to have died at Pearl Harbor. It is estimated that 1,964 people died of COVID yesterday in the US, more than 250,000 in the US since the beginning of the pandemic. It is estimated that 1,300 people a day in the US die from causes directly related to smoking.

That seems to me to give some perspective, but I am not sure what that perspective really tells me.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
There is truth in all of that. Osama bin Laden did not say, as I recall, that he intended to kill a lot of Americans. He intended to pour sand into the gears of commerce to try to bring down the economy, as well, as to bring terror to our hearts and minds, to make us fearful and unhappy, and scarred. 2,763 people dead seems to be the final count for the World Trade Center.

2,403 are said to have died at Pearl Harbor. It is estimated that 1,964 people died of COVID yesterday in the US, more than 250,000 in the US since the beginning of the pandemic. It is estimated that 1,300 people a day in the US die from causes directly related to smoking.

That seems to me to give some perspective, but I am not sure what that perspective really tells me.

Here's something interesting I stumbled across recently. It's a website called Airwars which tracks civilian casualties, or the so called "collateral damage" deaths caused by US airstrikes from March 2014-November 2020. In that six year period there were between 1400-2000 civilian deaths by over 300 airstrikes.

This site actually has a map where you can click on the exact location and get some detail, such as the number of women and children killed and their names in some instances.

Owen Bawn

I finished Rod Dreher's Live Not by Lies last night. His is an important observation and warning about what he calls "soft totalitarianism," but really the book should have been edited down to a 20 page article. The anecdotes about eastern Europe under Communism are all so similar that after a while they become indistinguishable from one another. The book is also poorly edited. A shame, really, because, as I said, the message is an important one.

I'm always reading several books at a time, so I seldom post in this thread. Right now I'm reading Mary Beard's SPQR, Rod Dreher's Live Not By Lies, Ward Farnsworth's The Practicing Stoic, and Maurice Fitzpatrick's The Boys of St Columb's. My "last 20 minutes before lights out" book right now is James Fenimore Cooper's The Deerslayer.
Loved this one!

Reading SPQR myself right now. My daughter is a Classics major and I now feel qualified to discuss the Catiline Conspiracy with her.

Owen Bawn

Just finished James Fenimore Cooper's The Deerslayer. Jumping right in to The Last of the Mohicans. In my day Mohicans was a standard school text, but I somehow made it through high school never having read it. There probably isn't a high school teacher in America who assigns this stuff today.

Just finished James Fenimore Cooper's The Deerslayer. Jumping right in to The Last of the Mohicans. In my day Mohicans was a standard school text, but I somehow made it through high school never having read it. There probably isn't a high school teacher in America who assigns this stuff today.
I have never read any of these books. Thanks to mentions in this thread, I ordered The Complete Leatherstocking Tales. Includes The Deerslayer, The Last of the Mohicans, The Pathfinder, The Pioneers and The Prairie. Set me back a whopping $1.29CAD on Amazon (for Kindle). Going to be a long read but looking forward to it.

Also, I just got Ready Player Two today so that will be read first. I enjoy Ernest Clines books and I’m hoping the sequel is as good as Ready Player One (book was great, the movie was just ok).

Last edited:
Top Bottom