What's new

What Are You Reading?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Steve, if you were thinking of someone like me reading a Hemingway book or two at the beach what might you recommend.

I've read a fair number of his short stories and at least one or two of the novels but I'm not sure which ones. The man can write!

Visiting the Hemingway house in Key West is one of my favorite vacation memories. If you've not been there, it's a small house on a small estate in a small city. It's bite sized and exactly right for a lazy vacation afternoon. It's also precisely where I'd like to live one day when I'm rich and famous.

Happy shaves,

Jim
The one I read most recently and enjoyed greatly was “The Sun Also Rises”. Actually I like all of them. You may want to put a brown paper cover on it because Hemingway is considered too masculine and politically incorrect now. When you read it, give Jake my regards. 😊

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Steve, if you were thinking of someone like me reading a Hemingway book or two at the beach what might you recommend.

I've read a fair number of his short stories and at least one or two of the novels but I'm not sure which ones. The man can write!

Visiting the Hemingway house in Key West is one of my favorite vacation memories. If you've not been there, it's a small house on a small estate in a small city. It's bite sized and exactly right for a lazy vacation afternoon. It's also precisely where I'd like to live one day when I'm rich and famous.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Old Man and the Sea is a must if you’ll be at the beach.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The one I read most recently and enjoyed greatly was “The Sun Also Rises”. Actually I like all of them. You may want to put a brown paper cover on it because Hemingway is considered too masculine and politically incorrect now. When you read it, give Jake my regards. 😊

Thanks, Steve.

Old Man and the Sea is a must if you’ll be at the beach.

Makes sense.

I'll need to determine what I've already read.

Happy shaves, gentlemen, and thanks,

Jim

I'm puzzled.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite, but most of the Kindle books I've purchased and read have certainly not been under $3. Many have been over $10. The few $3 books I've tried were terrible and the reviews were written by the author's dotting mom.

That said, there are a great many Kindle books available free or at very inexpensive prices if you're looking for old books no longer protected by copyrights.

What are you reading that's under $3?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Well I know the prices move a bit daily, but at the time of my download all these I can recommend under 3$:
Ebola K: 3 book set, very good read
Day of Reckoning: Decent, but not terrific
The Useful Idiot: Awesome if you love Soviet style drama
The Sentinel: An over done 'What if ... Eva Braun's child' book, but well done
Economic Collapse Chronicles: 3 book set that was free and actually well written
EMP Aftermath: 3 Book set for 0.99$, it does have some poor editing, but a terrific well written plot

I'll pick a genre sometimes, and sort the list in cost order and just stop searching at about 3$ So far I've lucked out with at least 8 out of 10 books being very good. The only problem I've found so far is not so much writing style or plot development, but in the cheap range you'll get a lack of good editing, and once I could hardly get past chapter one for all the typo's.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Well I know the prices move a bit daily, but at the time of my download all these I can recommend under 3$:
Ebola K: 3 book set, very good read
Day of Reckoning: Decent, but not terrific
The Useful Idiot: Awesome if you love Soviet style drama
The Sentinel: An over done 'What if ... Eva Braun's child' book, but well done
Economic Collapse Chronicles: 3 book set that was free and actually well written
EMP Aftermath: 3 Book set for 0.99$, it does have some poor editing, but a terrific well written plot

I'll pick a genre sometimes, and sort the list in cost order and just stop searching at about 3$ So far I've lucked out with at least 8 out of 10 books being very good. The only problem I've found so far is not so much writing style or plot development, but in the cheap range you'll get a lack of good editing, and once I could hardly get past chapter one for all the typo's.

Thanks. Great answer.

Happy shaves,
Jim

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I received a Kindle at Christmas from one of my sons. Never thought I'd use it much, until the lockdown. My library combined with Amazon Prime offers kept me in reading material until the library (recently) re-opened.

I've only borrowed ebooks, haven't purchased on yet .. so my cost is zero

I'm puzzled.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite, but most of the Kindle books I've purchased and read have certainly not been under $3. Many have been over $10. The few $3 books I've tried were terrible and the reviews were written by the author's dotting mom.

That said, there are a great many Kindle books available free or at very inexpensive prices if you're looking for old books no longer protected by copyrights.

What are you reading that's under $3?

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim
I recommend subscribing to Bookbub. You get periodic e-mails from them with e-book recommendations, and the books are usually a buck or two. Most of the titles are fairly current too.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I recommend subscribing to Bookbub. You get periodic e-mails from them with e-book recommendations, and the books are usually a buck or two. Most of the titles are fairly current too.

Thanks, I did just subscribe. Don't know much yet about what they offer that I'll like, but thanks for telling me about BookBub. I'm checking the offerings now.

There is so much really bad junk being published these days. It's hard to find the good stuff. Maybe BookBub does some of the sorting.

The first book recommended to me has an Amazon price of $12. Still, it might be a good book and I'd not heard of the book or author before.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

Most of the inexpensive books and free books BookBub pointed me to so far which I've looked up on Amazon have the kind of horrible reviews which make me steer away from free and inexpensive books. The reviews on Amazon are all over the place so they too are sometimes hard to read.

I'll continue looking at and into the BookBub offerings and recommendations, but it mostly looks less useful and less good than I'd initially hoped. Maybe I'm wrong in this early impression. I hope I am.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Most of the inexpensive books and free books BookBub pointed me to so far which I've looked up on Amazon have the kind of horrible reviews which make me steer away from free and inexpensive books. The reviews on Amazon are all over the place so they too are sometimes hard to read.

I'll continue looking at and into the BookBub offerings and recommendations, but it mostly looks less useful and less good than I'd initially hoped. Maybe I'm wrong in this early impression. I hope I am.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I get many great digital books through my library for free. I have them sent directly to my Kindle Oasis. I also find some good ones with prime reading, and the kindle owners library as well. I rarely need to purchase books now since many libraries have really increased and expanded their digital lending library selections. Sometimes I just have to wait a little while patiently on a waiting list.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Jim - it's been a while since I got on their e-mail list, but I seem to recall picking which category of books I was interested in. A lot of the recommendations I get are crap, but a lot have been great. I've probably purchase about a dozen fantastic books for a couple of bucks each.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
A great book and if you like that and aviation you need to read I Could Never be so Lucky Again, by General James Doolittle.
Thanks for the recommendation, sir ... will certainly look into Doolittle’s bio.

Regarding Robin Olds & in the words my good friend & WW2 B-17 driver’s wife
used in describing her husband: [Robin Olds] certainly was “a man’s man.”

Fascinated with WW2 history & especially ETO air campaigns, operations, etc., there are always a number of related books in the queue. I just began reading Caldwell’s, The Luftwaffe Over Germany: Defense of The Reich & as is my habit of alternating reads [USAAF, Luftwaffe, RAF, Luftwaffe...], will follow up Caldwell with Lane’s, ‘Spitfire!: The Experience of a Battle of Britain Fighter Pilot’.

Yea, the queue is endless...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I get many great digital books through my library for free. I have them sent directly to my Kindle Oasis. I also find some good ones with prime reading, and the kindle owners library as well. I rarely need to purchase books now since many libraries have really increased and expanded their digital lending library selections. Sometimes I just have to wait a little while patiently on a waiting list.

My local library does not support my Kindle Paperwhite.

Good idea though to look into it.

I found and downloaded a few of the Amazon Prime (which I already have) books. I sorted them by reviews first and found a few which might be worth my time.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
My local library does not support my Kindle Paperwhite.

Good idea though to look into it.

I found and downloaded a few of the Amazon Prime (which I already have) books. I sorted them by reviews first and found a few which might be worth my time.

Happy shaves,

Jim
That's really too bad because it's a great resource. Amazon prime is good, but very limited, and I tried the unlimited service they have, but also doesn't have a lot of the more popular authors. I guess you've already checked if the library uses the Overdrive app.?, That's what I use to access the library catalog. My library has epub format also, and I also enjoy audio books, which libraries have also.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That's really too bad because it's a great resource. Amazon prime is good, but very limited, and I tried the unlimited service they have, but also doesn't have a lot of the more popular authors. I guess you've already checked if the library uses the Overdrive app.?, That's what I use to access the library catalog. My library has epub format also, and I also enjoy audio books, which libraries have also.

They don't tell you much, but they say what they support and don't support.

Thanks for the suggestion; I searched the available information as much as possible.

Happy shaves,

Jim

How are you liking this one? I am a big fan of his, but wasn't crazy about The Golden House.
I enjoyed it a lot, but I haven't read anything else by Salman Rushdie, so I can't compare. I'm now on The Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant. The war parts (troop movements, artillery placements, supply lines, etc. in the Mexican-American and Civil Wars) get a little dry and hard to follow without knowing the geography, but the other parts are very interesting. A lot to say about the culture and politics of the time. I suppose I should get a map out while reading.

I'm starting Daughter of the Snows by Jack London. I know I've read it before, I know i liked it, but damned if I can remember anything about it.

I enjoyed it a lot, but I haven't read anything else by Salman Rushdie, so I can't compare. I'm now on The Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant. The war parts (troop movements, artillery placements, supply lines, etc. in the Mexican-American and Civil Wars) get a little dry and hard to follow without knowing the geography, but the other parts are very interesting. A lot to say about the culture and politics of the time. I suppose I should get a map out while reading.

My father is reading Grant’s memoirs now, and he is really enjoying it. I’m going to steal his copy when he is finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom