What's new

What Are You Reading?

"A Small Band of Men: 20 years in the Hong Kong marine police" by Les Bird.

One of my friends here recommended it, written by a guy I know of, but don't really know. He was with a group of people I know in HK at the 7s when we were busy getting trousered in the Captain's Bar at some stage over the weekend. It's a cracking read, with some great stories, although some quite poignant and particularly so now given what's happening there. All the characters are real although he has changed the names - all the gweilos are given his mates' names most of who I know well so it's quite funny to me. I have been told that it is 100% true.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Currently laboring through Le Morte d'Arthur. It is... boring. Which I didn't expect as a huge fan of every movie or show based on Arthurian legend. Especially the 80s film, Excalibur.

I recommend Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Triology, The Winter King, Enemy of God, & Excalibur

It's an excellent retelling of the Arthurian legend. I'm also a big fan of Cornwell's other work, especially his Sharpe novels.

Legion

Staff member
Just finished another Cormac McCarthy book, Child of God. Liked that one.

Today I'm starting in on Ozzy Osbourn's autobiography.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Allies, Axis, Allies... Axis is up & as the dust cover states, Soldaten is a fascinating compilation of covertly recorded coversations between wartime German POWs that had been kept under wraps in the British National Archives & the National Archives (Washington D.C.) until the early 2000s.

"We" by Russian author Yevgeny Zamyatin Written in 1920. Set in the twenty-sixth century A.D., Yevgeny Zamyatin's masterpiece describes life under the regimented totalitarian society of OneState, ruled over by the all-powerful "Benefactor." Recognized as the inspiration for George Orwell's 1984, We is the archetype of the modern dystopia, or anti-Utopia: a great prose poem detailing the fate that might befall us all if we surrender our individual selves to some collective dream of technology and fail in the vigilance that is the price of freedom.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
"We" by Russian author Yevgeny Zamyatin Written in 1920. Set in the twenty-sixth century A.D., Yevgeny Zamyatin's masterpiece describes life under the regimented totalitarian society of OneState, ruled over by the all-powerful "Benefactor." Recognized as the inspiration for George Orwell's 1984, We is the archetype of the modern dystopia, or anti-Utopia: a great prose poem detailing the fate that might befall us all if we surrender our individual selves to some collective dream of technology and fail in the vigilance that is the price of freedom.
Read We a couple months ago. Great book.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
15943355845874967075103222770217.jpg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
"Norco '80." A true-crime, busted caper account of 1980's Riverside County bank job. Required reading for fans of the motion picture, "Heat."

Top Bottom