What's new

What Are You Reading?

Dead Wake by Erik Larson. The story of the sinking of the Lusitania in 1915 done up in the now-familiar Larson formula. So far it's much better than his last one, In The Garden of Beasts.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. I'm really enjoying it and I've found some confirmation for my skepticism of toward group projects and brainstorming sessions and the prevailing infatuation with charisma.

That is an excellent book.

So I picked up the first Mistborn book! I got it in audiobook, as I always do. It's 24+ hrs long!

First listen last night.... and I hope I can hang with this. The narration isn't very dynamic, but there's only about 2 characters involved at the start. I hope he gets better....m I dunno though. Some of these narrators are readers, and some are performers. This guys in the reader category, and I prefer performers for fiction. Ill keep you guys posted!

So I picked up the first Mistborn book! I got it in audiobook, as I always do. It's 24+ hrs long!

First listen last night.... and I hope I can hang with this. The narration isn't very dynamic, but there's only about 2 characters involved at the start. I hope he gets better....m I dunno though. Some of these narrators are readers, and some are performers. This guys in the reader category, and I prefer performers for fiction. Ill keep you guys posted!

Give it some time, I found the first 50 or so pages of Mistborn to be a huge drag (though SWMBO enjoyed them). If the narrator is terrible, it might be a lost cause, but the story really picks up once you get past the first bit.

I finished Pevel's the Alchemist in the Shadows during lunch. I loved it, it has swashbuckling and dragons, can't beat that in my opinion. Now I have to figure out what I'm reading next.

Finished "The Dirty Streets of Heaven" last evening, now on to the second of Stephen Blackmoore's "Eric Carter" series, "Broken Souls"

Give it some time, I found the first 50 or so pages of Mistborn to be a huge drag (though SWMBO enjoyed them). If the narrator is terrible, it might be a lost cause, but the story really picks up once you get past the first bit.

I'm settling into it now I think :) I found if I have the Audible app run it at 1.25x speed, he's easier to listen to, doesn't drone on as much lol. As far as the story goes, things are starting to pickup. Its gotten into some of the metal burning special powers that Kelsier has, first sighting of a Steel Inquisitor which sounds like a gnarly dude, and I'm at the part where Kelsier busts into the criminals lair to save Vin. Having a little trouble keeping some of the characters straight but I'm definitely interested now!

So a couple weeks ago I started reading The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. First book, although a fairly light read, was pretty good so I picked up the second...im now 1/2 way through book 14. He's really built upon what happened in book one, yet also writes in such a way that a reader could just pick up any book and be off to the races. I would say books 12-14 should be read in order, books 1-11 would make the most sense read in order but definitely don't need to be. I accidentally skipped book five and even though book six told me about it I still enjoyed got going back and reading it.

Highly recommended for anyone looking for a well written, lighter read, that combines a detective/mystery novel with fantasy in a quite novel (pun totally intended) way.

Cheers,

M.

So a couple weeks ago I started reading The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. First book, although a fairly light read, was pretty good so I picked up the second...im now 1/2 way through book 14. He's really built upon what happened in book one, yet also writes in such a way that a reader could just pick up any book and be off to the races. I would say books 12-14 should be read in order, books 1-11 would make the most sense read in order but definitely don't need to be. I accidentally skipped book five and even though book six told me about it I still enjoyed got going back and reading it.

Highly recommended for anyone looking for a well written, lighter read, that combines a detective/mystery novel with fantasy in a quite novel (pun totally intended) way.

Cheers,

M.

I've found that if you can make through book 3 of the Dresden Files you are hooked. The Dresdencrack owns you!

I'm settling into it now I think :) I found if I have the Audible app run it at 1.25x speed, he's easier to listen to, doesn't drone on as much lol. As far as the story goes, things are starting to pickup. Its gotten into some of the metal burning special powers that Kelsier has, first sighting of a Steel Inquisitor which sounds like a gnarly dude, and I'm at the part where Kelsier busts into the criminals lair to save Vin. Having a little trouble keeping some of the characters straight but I'm definitely interested now!

Glad it is working out for you, John.

Cheers,

M.

I've found that if you can make through book 3 of the Dresden Files you are hooked. The Dresdencrack owns you!
Got into them in 2010 and read them all that were published at that time. Looks like now I have a few more to read.

Top Bottom