What's new

What Are You Reading?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
We weren't as jaded then.
Good point. I remember when I was younger, the movie the Exorcist scared me quite a bit. The wife and I went to the 25th Anniversary release and were quite bored. The movie The Shining still gets me, though- the scene with the twins in the hallway still sends shivers through me.

On edit: I just noticed your avatar- how fitting that I responded the way I did :biggrin:

The Last Pope by Luis Miguel Rocha. It was written amid the hype from the Da Vinci Code, so it is about another conspiracy concerning the Catholic Church (the Vatican covered up John Paul I's death, it was really a murder, etc. etc.). I don't know if it is a really poorly-written knockoff of the popularity of Brown's Code, or just poorly translated from the Portuguese (my bet is on both, actually), but I started it years ago and since then has been mocking me from high upon my bookshelf and I refuse to be defeated by such a detestable piece of airport-and-supermarket-magazine-aisle drivel. $last pope.jpg

Not a book - buy I'm off to see Neil Gaiman speak tonight. I'm pretty excited :)

Very enjoyable and he shared a shaving tip he learned from Harlan Ellison! "just smear conditioner all over your face and shave".

Guess they are both better writers than shavers, which would explain why Neil was sporting a full beard :)

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Very enjoyable and he shared a shaving tip he learned from Harlan Ellison! "just smear conditioner all over your face and shave".

Guess they are both better writers than shavers, which would explain why Neil was sporting a full beard :)
He is almost right. When I shower I shampoo my face, rinse just before getting out, then shave (with shaving soap, of course). I get good results that way

I hope it's the damn Twilight vampires he's gotta take out! Lol

The book starts with an attack by Sanguinarius Meyerii (Twilight Vampires). There are other types of vampires as well, so far a Muscavore Wallacea (from Renfield by Samantha Wallace). There was a brief mention of the Southern Vampires (by Charlene Harris). It's a pretty clever read so far. Reminds me of Butcher's Dresden, Hearne's Atticus, etc.

Finished Libriomancer. It was ok. I'm not planning on getting any of the other books in the series any time soon.

I started Pierre Pevel's The Alchemist in the Shadows (Book 2 of The Cardinal's Blades series).

The Killer Inside Me, Jim Thompson. I read this many years ago, and I think it was over my head. I'm much more attuned to the twisted now.

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, by Edmund Morris.

So far, it is very good and it pulled me in for 5 chapters. Next will be the remaining two volumes of the set: Theodore Rex and Colonel Roosevelt.

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt, by Edmund Morris.

So far, it is very good and it pulled me in for 5 chapters. Next will be the remaining two volumes of the set: Theodore Rex and Colonel Roosevelt.

I really enjoyed all three books, but Theodore Rex was my favorite

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. I'm really enjoying it and I've found some confirmation for my skepticism of toward group projects and brainstorming sessions and the prevailing infatuation with charisma.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. I'm really enjoying it and I've found some confirmation for my skepticism of toward group projects and brainstorming sessions and the prevailing infatuation with charisma.

Oh, I am going to have to check that one out. Had I written it, though, I would have changed "world that can't stop talking" to "world that won't shut the hell up" :biggrin:

Top Bottom