What's new

What Are You Reading?

I am currently about four chapters into Atonement, by Ian McEwan. It was a long-running best seller and they have made it into a major motion picture, but I am so bored it is difficult for me to pick it up to continue. :bored: I must be missing something.

I will persevere.

I have made a lot more progress into this book, now, and it has become much more interesting.

Tim

"Ulysses" by James Joyce - truly incredible, don't believe what you've heard. It really is a bloody fine book.

"Guide to the Bodhisatva's Way of Life" by Shantideva - some solid wisdom from the 8th century A.D. Definitely an education in improving oneself.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

"Ulysses" by James Joyce - truly incredible, don't believe what you've heard. It really is a bloody fine book.

Don't believe the hype.

I tried to read it. I really, really did. I bought the Cliffs notes for it and another guide. I would read 1 or 2 chapters, get an idea in my head what was going on, then read the Cliffs and the other guide. I could not have been more wrong. I gave up after 6 chapters.

Apparently I am not smart enough for the book.

Don't believe the hype.

I tried to read it. I really, really did. I bought the Cliffs notes for it and another guide. I would read 1 or 2 chapters, get an idea in my head what was going on, then read the Cliffs and the other guide. I could not have been more wrong. I gave up after 6 chapters.

Apparently I am not smart enough for the book.

I respect the fact that you tried; I very nearly didn't bother, simply because so many people claim to love it as a badge of status. Then, I started reading it and the wily old Irishman changed my mind about his book.

Perhaps quite a lot of it is down to cultural referencing, rather than anything more highbrow.

I firmly believe everyone should try it. If you hate it, as least you know you gave it a chance. If you love it, you're not alone. Anthony Burgess famously described it as "the best book of the 20th century". I thought this was rhubarb until I read it. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Peter Hathaway Capstick- "Death in the Tall Grass"

A professional hunter that probably died before I was born. His books are amazing for those interested in hunting. Many of his books are just endless ramblings about various game species and numerous stories from his life. Warning, you will start to develop a condition similar to SCAD and you might club the old lady at the bookstore who's thinking about taking the sole copy for her husband's birthday. His books don't seem to get restocked much.

proxy.php

I really dig Akutagawa's stories. He's kind of like a japanese Edgar Allan Poe.

"Guide to the Bodhisatva's Way of Life" by Shantideva - some solid wisdom from the 8th century A.D. Definitely an education in improving oneself.

I need to get around to reading that one of these days. I've seen it referenced in countless books with similar subject matter. Do you practice or just a fan?

I've just finished reading The Professor and the Madma by Simon Winchester along with A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Child Soldier by Ishmael Beah. Both are great books. Next I'll be starting The Places in Between by Rory Stewart.

I need to get around to reading that one of these days. I've seen it referenced in countless books with similar subject matter. Do you practice or just a fan?

You won't regret looking at the book! I can recommend the translation by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso and Neil Elliott, which is straight-talking, clear and excellent. Like drinking cold, clear water.

I practice Zen (on and off!), and sit with my university group (more Thai style), but Shantideva cuts across all denominations and schools. In fact, my copy was sent to me by a generous Tibetan monk who reads my tea blog. :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

When I'm not reading this Forum I'm reading "The Only Dog Training Book You'll Ever Need", in anticipation of a new addition to my family. A Bullmastiff pup called Maxwell.

Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami. Not sure what it is that attracts me to his books but I just keep devouring them.

Any other Murakami fans in the audience?

Cheers

Jeremy

I went on a Murakami kick last year. I read Kafka, Dance Dance Dance, After the Quake, and Norweigan Wood over a period of three or four months. I really liked all of the books, but I read Norweigan Wood last and it really threw me off because I kept waiting for the paranormal to creep into the story but it never really did. As of now, I'd be hard-pressed to choose a favorite as they are all good reads.

You won't regret looking at the book! I can recommend the translation by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso and Neil Elliott, which is straight-talking, clear and excellent. Like drinking cold, clear water.

I practice Zen (on and off!), and sit with my university group (more Thai style), but Shantideva cuts across all denominations and schools. In fact, my copy was sent to me by a generous Tibetan monk who reads my tea blog. :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Thanks for the recommendation on the book edition! I added it to my Amazon wish list lest I forget.

I bookmarked your blog as well. The images are incredible! And I'm quickly discovering I have hardly scratched the surface of tea. I have a hard time calling myself a connoisseur now.

Thanks for the recommendation on the book edition! I added it to my Amazon wish list lest I forget.

I bookmarked your blog as well. The images are incredible! And I'm quickly discovering I have hardly scratched the surface of tea. I have a hard time calling myself a connoisseur now.

Great stuff, you'll love the book I think. :)

Thanks for the kind words about the ol' Half-Dipper... there's certainly a lot to know about tea. I'm certainly no master, either - it's like wine, takes a lifetime but is great fun to learn right from the start.

:chef:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

The Albany Trio -- three of William Kennedy's novels, set in Depression-era Albany, NY: Legs, Billy Phelan's Greatest Game, and Ironweed.

I've already read Ironweed, but wanted to read them in chronological order. Yes, Legs is about "Legs" Diamond.

proxy.php

I got a good start on The Way of the Shark by Greg Norman last night. The Shark tells a pretty good story, and seems like a very humble guy considering his accomplishments on and off the golf course. The guy is a class act, and his charisma is deeply missed in the current golf scene in my opinion. Tiger may be amazing, but he has the personality of 4x8 section of drywall.

It only took something like a month, but I finally finished Tropic of Cancer today. First impressions left me bewildered and grossed out. Final impressions are that I'm glad I soldiered through it because other than the 50 or so pages of unintelligible drug/alcohol induced ramling (what else could cause a man to write such utter nonsense?), I really enjoyed his stories of (to put it bluntly) being an American bum in Paris.

• The Bible
  • The Confessions of St. Augustine

That's at the exact time of posting to this thread. The list is likely to get longer at any given moment in time. :biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom