What's new

What Are You Reading?

Continuing my Grisham theme, I'm reading "The Broker." Good light, entertaining reading in the midst of going through a GRE test prep book.

The Rabbit books are great reads - I've been through all of them at least 3 times. I first read "Rabbit, Run" 20 years or so ago and thought it was one of the best books I had ever read. Such a great character. I need to get this book with all of the books combined just to keep.

I'm gradually working my way through all of the Sherlock Holmes stories by Doyle. Good stuff and I think it holds up pretty well.

The Rabbit Angstrom Tetralogy
by John Updike

His prose is eloquent and his poetry is even better. I'm ashamed to say I've read so little by him. Updike is easily one of my favorite writers now.

proxy.php

The Chap that arrived yesterday - there's even an article about shaving.

proxy.php

P.S. Can recommend the magazine to anyone who likes the good things in life.

The Chap that arrived yesterday - there's even an article about shaving.

P.S. Can recommend the magazine to anyone who likes the good things in life.

Thanks for the tip! This looks very interesting - I'm ordering an electronic copy this evening...

- Randy

Thanks for the tip! This looks very interesting - I'm ordering an electronic copy this evening...

Yeah, I like it. Gives a little something to a grey day. Don't forget to check Abebooks for their books, they're next to nothing over there. "Around the World in 80 Martinis" etc. :)

"Two Years Before the Mast" - Richard Henry Dana Jr.

Third time through. RHD's account of his time as a common sailor before the mast on a trade voyage from Boston to California (1834-36).

As a native Californian I find his accounts of my stomping grounds fascinating. It's good fun to walk some of the places he describes and imagine them as he saw them.

I'm reading 'A Song of Fire and Ice' series; right now I'm on the second book - A Clash of Kings. I would like to finish this and read the third before the new season comes out at the end of this month.

Terror, by Dan Simmons. Great premise, but for those who know how the Franklin Expedition turned out (Spoiler: not good), the middle of this book is dragging heavily. It's kind of like watching the movie Titanic; you know how it has to end, and at some point you just want it over.

Simmons has always been a tad self-indulgent in my opinion, and his latest books for me have been bordering on tedious.

Top Bottom