What's new

What Are You Reading?

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. Just finished it and I enjoyed it a lot. Like some other British authors (paging Lee Child), Mr. Abercrombie seems to have a fascination with Hollywood westerns. This book is his homage to the big-screen western, set in his fantasy world from the First Law series.

I thought this one was a lot of fun, although two things in it disturbed me: first, the advance of science and industrialization that Abercrombie hinted at in The Heroes appears to be spreading more rapidly, which it seems would spell the end of this great fantasy world (how can forest monsters and sword-slinging barbarians and immortal wizard-gods exist in a world with gunpowder and steam engines?). This idea of the encroachment of civilization into the frontier is in and of itself lifted straight from countless western movies, but it is not something I look forward to reading about in future Abercrobie books. I want more wizardry and swords and enchanted fortresses, not cannons and dynamite.

Secondly, my favorite recurring character throughout Abercrombie's books meets his end. I won't say which one but I think he was the most interesting character Abercrombie has developed to date. I hated to see him go.

Still, this book is a good one for fans of Abercrombie's sword and sorcery tales. Especially if you enjoy old western movies too.

I finished my read over the weekend. I'd put it in the top 3 of Abercrombie's books behind Heroes and Best Served Cold.

I look forward to the conflict between magic and technology, especially seeing who championed the technology in Heroes.

I moved on to The Dirty Streets of Heaven by Tad Williams.

I recently finished reading No Easy Day... good read... not nearly as controversial as the press made it out to be, I thought. Now I've started reading the Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series again. I had abandoned it about 2/3 of the way through years ago, and it's long enough that I figure I've forgotten plenty and ought to just start at the beginning again. :)

I recently finished reading No Easy Day... good read... not nearly as controversial as the press made it out to be, I thought. Now I've started reading the Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series again. I had abandoned it about 2/3 of the way through years ago, and it's long enough that I figure I've forgotten plenty and ought to just start at the beginning again. :)

One of my favorite series. Were you aware that the last book is due in Jan 2013?

My two best friends and I have started a reading club. We take a month to read a book and then discuss it before moving on to the next one. I just finished Neuromancer by William Gibson, and we're doing Robert Louis Stevenson's Treasure Island next.

I was recently given a Jewish New Testament. Interesting paraphrase...doubt I'll read the whole thing.

I'm actually reading the Holy Bible, cover to cover. I just finished the book of Ruth, got a ways to go. This is not because I am, or am not, a religious man, I figure if there is one book a person should have under his belt, this would be it. I'm not interested in a debate, opinions, or advice on the matter. Just responding to the OP's original question.

I happen to be reading WoT as well, mostly since the last book comes out in January.

I'm continuing along the path of my horrible junkie like addiction to Tom Clancy. After finishing The Bear and the Dragon, I quickly went through The Teeth of the Tiger, and now I'm reading Red Storm Rising. I'm hoping that since this is one of his older books it will be better than the last few that I've read. So far it seems to be a slightly higher caliber of writing than the post-1990 material.

One Second After. It was highly recommended, but at the halfway mark it was getting boring and predictable. Trying to push to finish it.

Libra
by Don Delillo

It's not White Noise. Nor is it Underworld. But it's GOOD!

proxy.php

I am now working my way through Lee Child's, Jack Reacher books. Jack is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. He is a no nonsense type of guy, who makes sure his enemy is down before turning his back on them.

I'm actually reading the Holy Bible, cover to cover. I just finished the book of Ruth, got a ways to go. This is not because I am, or am not, a religious man, I figure if there is one book a person should have under his belt, this would be it. I'm not interested in a debate, opinions, or advice on the matter. Just responding to the OP's original question.

I read my AV (Authorized King James Version) religiously!

Top Bottom