What's new

What Are You Reading?

Private Eye Action, As You Like It- Joe R. Lansdale and Lewis Shiner

Moby Dick- H. Melville

Eye Mind: The Saga of Roky Erickson and the 13th Floor Elevators, The Pioneers of Psychedelic Sound- Paul Drummond

I'm reading "them" by the british journalist Jon Ronson. I've read his other book "The psychopath test" as well. As the author states, "them" started out as a book about various extremists, but the author noticed that there was a common thread, the belief that there is a small group of people that really run this world. So now its getting into conspiracy theory... Interesting though.

Red Country by Joe Abercrombie. Just finished it and I enjoyed it a lot. Like some other British authors (paging Lee Child), Mr. Abercrombie seems to have a fascination with Hollywood westerns. This book is his homage to the big-screen western, set in his fantasy world from the First Law series.

I thought this one was a lot of fun, although two things in it disturbed me: first, the advance of science and industrialization that Abercrombie hinted at in The Heroes appears to be spreading more rapidly, which it seems would spell the end of this great fantasy world (how can forest monsters and sword-slinging barbarians and immortal wizard-gods exist in a world with gunpowder and steam engines?). This idea of the encroachment of civilization into the frontier is in and of itself lifted straight from countless western movies, but it is not something I look forward to reading about in future Abercrobie books. I want more wizardry and swords and enchanted fortresses, not cannons and dynamite.

Secondly, my favorite recurring character throughout Abercrombie's books meets his end. I won't say which one but I think he was the most interesting character Abercrombie has developed to date. I hated to see him go.

Still, this book is a good one for fans of Abercrombie's sword and sorcery tales. Especially if you enjoy old western movies too.

Just starting Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

I intended to read it for years but never picked it up. Someone just gave me a copy. A perfect time to start a new book. There is always time to turn off another holiday rerun of Home Alone and pick up a book.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Wow, forgot this thread was here, so posting to get notices again :)

The most recent is an alleged best seller called "The Passage" by J. Cronin. I think I am going to release this one back into the library. Slow reading, miltechno-horror-sci/fi that in the first 100 pages of it's massive girth hasn't grabbed on. Like the author has mix matched Clancy with Patterson with Rice.

Looking forward to getting more recommendations from you all

They are all excellent. I need to go back through the library, even though I've read each one at least twice, I catch something new or recognize another connection between books every time. I'm excited to read "Threat Vector" on the 4th even though it's not Clancy really writing anymore.

Going back through my Tom Clancy library. Currently about 3/4 of the way through Without Remorse

Top Bottom