What's new

What are you looking forward to in 2024?

As the thread title asks, what are you looking forward to, shaving wise, in 2024?

Like any other industry, I'm sure "wet shaving" has its own innovations, as well as new artisans coming onto the market.

What are you aware of, and looking forward to, coming down the pike that you could share with the community?

Thanks for participating, gents! 🥃😎

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Hoping that AccuTec’s disassociation from Edgewell/Personna drops the prices of their GEM, DE, and injector blade prices down from the current “but why, though? Man…” levels to something more universally affordable.

Hoping Stirling expands their beeswax base with scents so not only the unscented soap crowd gets to enjoy it.

Clearing my den.

I've already started with soaps and creams. I have way too many to try to use up what's been in my rotation. I could have stellar soaps and creams waiting to be used.

The other goal might be to test all my blades. I have a pretty big stash of unopened, untried blades. I obviously attribute a value to an unopened tuck. But all my blades are going to be tossed in the trash with all my stuff. Might as well experience them. I might have been able to answer the questions about Lord, Treet, and Russian Gillette blades.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Hoping to sell and/or give away everything that doesn't spark joy.

Continuing my quest to find a soap or cream that outperforms SV and The Body Shop. I have some samples of Shannon's on the way...

Finding an AC razor that works for me. The Hawk is out. It works much better with two shims so IMO it's geometry isn't what I'm looking for. I have a Shield Evolution on the way...

Finding a DE razor that shaves better than the Yaqi Knight Helmet. I have a Lupo 1.27 on the way...

Fixing my balsa strops so I can resume straight razor shaving.

2024?

Last year I finally found my go to razor and other supplies after a few years of trial and error. Over those few years I am pleased to have improved my technique. I have a few daily routines for face and head I consistently enjoy. I am to a point I can shave with little fear of nicks. I want my shaves to continue to be something I look forward to on a daily basis.

This year will be a year of continuous improvement in technique now that I know my healthy skin can take the practice. I will take my time. I currently am a two pass face and head shaver. I only use vintage SE’s with the GEM PTFE blade. I use an Alum Block.

I want to try and learn techniques I’ve heard used in this forum. I want to try to learn the dreaded ATG pass.

In this new year, I look forward to continued daily DFS. The three way BBS. I do not shave ATG. Don’t the shaving law makers say, A BBS has to include ATG, or a true BBS was not attained?

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have a puck of SV Argania patiently waiting for the end of the Canada SS longevity test (coming very soon). I'm also taking a Viking River Cruise in the lower half of France this May. Maybe I'll find some good prices on MdC? Or maybe it's cheaper to avoid the VAT and buy it from home (I dislike the "get the vat back" dance).

thombrogan

@Psychtec , please read up on the Gillette Slide and what @Tallships calls “The Guillotine stroke” for ways to make your pending ventures into the land of ATG passes their most comfortable.

thrombrogan

Wow. I have heard of the Gillette Slide. I have wanted to try it. Never heard of the Guillotine Stroke. Now I am curious. I will do as you recommend.
One of my goals for the year is to get out of my comfort zone and to try new techniques.

Appreciate.

thombrogan

Psychtec,

The mechanics are very simple. Just check out post #8 and that works to reduce cutting resistance for any direction even if you never get around to ATG passes.

thrombrogan

Wow. I have heard of the Gillette Slide. I have wanted to try it. Never heard of the Guillotine Stroke. Now I am curious. I will do as you recommend.
One of my goals for the year is to get out of my comfort zone and to try new techniques.

Appreciate.
thrombrogan

I tried the Gillette Slide this morning. It worked well. I decided to trim off my mustache this morning. That technique was very helpful. Still confused about the Guillotine Stroke. I found a few YouTube videos on the Gillette Slide that were helpful. I found nothing on the Guillotine Stroke. Does it go by another name?

I did WTG and XTG passes on the mustache area. I attempted an ATG pass. I stopped immediately. Too painful. Will my mustache area soft after more shaves? Maybe I will try another ATG in about a month.

Thank you very much.

thombrogan

Psychtec,

They’re one and the same. Guillotine brings the position of the blade into mental focus and Gillette was the corporation that brought the technique to the masses.

Prep can soften whiskers and/or make skin more supple, but you’re already using shaving oil, so I don’t know if it would help or just take more time out of your life and money out of your pocket.

Better technique (we are all using too much pressure to make our cuts) will make ATG strokes less painful. So will the Gillette Slide/Guillotine stroke technique (finally, a practical use for geometry!).

Speaking of that, this post from @GAW9576 is loaded with what I need to improve my shave and it might help yours, too.

Psychtec,

They’re one and the same. Guillotine brings the position of the blade into mental focus and Gillette was the corporation that brought the technique to the masses.

Prep can soften whiskers and/or make skin more supple, but you’re already using shaving oil, so I don’t know if it would help or just take more time out of your life and money out of your pocket.

Better technique (we are all using too much pressure to make our cuts) will make ATG strokes less painful. So will the Gillette Slide/Guillotine stroke technique (finally, a practical use for geometry!).

Speaking of that, this post from @GAW9576 is loaded with what I need to improve my shave and it might help yours, too.

Glad you mentioned that post. I know I need to re-read it myself now and then.

Psychtec,

That post made a lot of sense. You are 100% correct. Good technique and no pressure equals a good comfort, smooth shave, especially ATG.

I am learning the ATG pass is a whole different beast. When I attempt it, I revert back to no no habits like more pressure, not use to angles and more blade buffing then needed. In my mind if I don’t get those few hairs left behind that won’t cut no matter what, this equals an unsatisfactory shave. I know better. For the first time I really understand what is meant by, don’t chase BBS. Over time, with experience and practice I will tame the BBS beast.

I will put this knowledge into practice this morning. Thank you again.

thombrogan

I wasn’t looking forward to hijacking @RicoSuave ’s thread, but it’s the 1924/1912 ATG thread for this moment,

Everyone looking forward to getting an Atelier Durdan Vestige or that yellow can of Proraso shaving foam you’ve been eyeing, please chime in

I've got 3 razors on the way. I'm looking forward to those and the comparison shaves with them. They include a pre-owned Gibbs Heritage and a Yaqi final cut which includes a custom brass handle. The third razor is a new all brass Yaqi adjustable.

Top Bottom