What's new

What are you listening to?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Bleu Edmonton $50 and a flask of Crown

also

Chip Taylor and the New Ukranianas
“F**k all the perfect people” No link due to use of foul language but you can find it if you look.

I do not know if "Beth" really knows what she is talking about, but to me she really helps explain why this Amy Winehouse song, and this version of it, in particular, is so appealing to me. I love the sparse musical arrangement. Before she lost it completely, Amy could sing. And I now get why she reminded me of Billy Holiday. To me, music needs more vocalists like AW.

I do not know if "Beth" really knows what she is talking about, but to me she really helps explain why this Amy Winehouse song, and this version of it, in particular, is so appealing to me. I love the sparse musical arrangement. Before she lost it completely, Amy could sing. And I now get why she reminded me of Billy Holiday. To me, music needs more vocalists like AW.
And like Billie Holiday (and to a lesser extent Marianne Faithful) still recorded after the voice was shot but there was still a lot of emotion.

And like Billie Holiday (and to a lesser extent Marianne Faithful) still recorded after the voice was shot but there was still a lot of emotion.
Interesting thoughts. I guess I do not know BH well enough to know how her voice was from year to year. When said before AW lost it, I meant really completely lost her mind, not just her voice. I actually do not think AW lived long enough to record anything in that state. She did try to continue touring.

Good analogy to MF. Her voice sure changed over the years from "As Tears Go By" to 1979's Broken English. I am not sure I did not like MF's voice better in later years. Whiskey-soaked one might say.

I should listen to BH over the years. I had not processed that she had big style changes over time. I should know that. Fantastic, deeply affecting vocalist. She could sing me the phone book.

1612293629111.png

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
It’s amazing how songs can bring back memories. Every once in a while I’ll hear a song that I had forgotten about. The memories they can bring with them are so vivid I can almost “feel” them.

Top Bottom