What's new

What are you drinking tonight?

IMG_1936.jpg

I am thinking 1792, Elijah Craig or Four Roses as options.
You and I should have a drink together. Those are the staples of my cabinet. Four Roses is my daily, “budget” bourbon. 1792 and Elijah Craig are my “splurge” bourbons. Those 3 are almost always found in my cabinet. Which reminds me… I’m out of 1792. I need to pick up a bottle on the way home. I highly recommend all of these.

As for what I’m drinking tonight… it will be Four Roses. I’m out of town. Four Roses is also my travel bourbon.

Just got done mowing the next-door neighbor's jungle lawn.

Currently sipping on a Marini:

2 oz — Drumshanbo Gunpowder Irish Gin
½ oz — Dolin Dry Vermouth
½ oz — Dolin Blanc Vermouth
Fee Brothers orange bitters
a squeeze of lemon
garnished with a lemon peel twist

... and snacking on some smoked almonds and green olives.

In my opinion, a Negroni made with a super strong vermouth like that is way out of balance, if I use the traditional equal-parts recipe. I have to up the gin quite a bit and temper the Campari with some Aperol in order to put it back in balance (basically my own take on a Cornwall Negroni). Thus, when I make a Negroni, I prefer a more 'normal' vermouth such as Dolin.

In my opinion, a Negroni made with a super strong vermouth like that is way out of balance, if I use the traditional equal-parts recipe. I have to up the gin quite a bit and temper the Campari with some Aperol in order to put it back in balance (basically my own take on a Cornwall Negroni). Thus, when I make a Negroni, I prefer a more 'normal' vermouth such as Dolin.
I usually go with 2:1:1 so it evens out but nowadays I’m more into replacing the Gin component anyway.

It just missed 100° in central Florida today. When we stopped for lunch at the golf course grill after 18, I ordered an OF with the turkey club. I was enjoying the drink and asked which bourbon she used. “The well bourbon….Evan Williams.” Certainly works in an OF, though the heat may have gotten to me. We went back out for nine more holes!

Attachments

• IMG_5412.jpeg
    IMG_5412.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
Top Bottom