What's new

What are you brewing?

Have you every tried spiking neutral beer with hops? I read something about that on line a while ago. I think it would be cool to get a bunch of hops and give it a go. Maybe I'll get some of my buddies together and see what we can do.

I guess it's going to be a saison with the ADHA 871 hops. I mentioned in an earlier post that I brewed about a gallon and a half to test out a recipe. I'm not normally a flavored beer kind of guy, but I added orange zest and rosemary at flame out. Came out really well and my wife really liked it. I think I'll use that recipe plus the hops and split it, fermenting half as is and the other half with orange and rosemary. Should be good for summer.

Yeah, kind of what I was talking about. Sometimes folks will just grab a six pack of coors or something equally light and void of significantly dynamic flavor. Pop the caps on all but one, put five different hop pellets in them, recap, and keep one as the control. Chill and let sit, then pop tops and stay sampling.

Last edited:
Right now I have in various stages of aging/fermentation:

5 gallons lambic (from dregs + lab blend)
5 gallons lambic (spontaneously fermented)
5 gallons sour blond (all dregs)
3 gallons dry stout aging on whiskey-soaked oak
1 gallon dark saison with all brett fermentation and a brett secondary
1 gallon barleywine aging on whiskey-soaked oak
1 gallon sour saison (dregs)
1 gallon adambier

In the next few weeks I plan on brewing:

1 gallon rye porter aged on whiskey-soaked oak
1 gallon rye saison
1 gallon biere de mars
3 gallons saison

Right now I have in various stages of aging/fermentation:

5 gallons lambic (from dregs + lab blend)
5 gallons lambic (spontaneously fermented)
5 gallons sour blond (all dregs)
3 gallons dry stout aging on whiskey-soaked oak
1 gallon dark saison with all brett fermentation and a brett secondary
1 gallon barleywine aging on whiskey-soaked oak
1 gallon sour saison (dregs)
1 gallon adambier

In the next few weeks I plan on brewing:

1 gallon rye porter aged on whiskey-soaked oak
1 gallon rye saison
1 gallon biere de mars
3 gallons saison

You like those different yeast bugs, don't you! Sounds yummy and fun.

I did a little housekeeping today. Racked the oud bruin that was in primary on my repurposed Russian River Consecration clone's leftover yeastcake to secondary on dried plums. I also added dried cherries to a Tart of Darkness clone.

Have a batch of porter and a batch of English bitter sitting in kegs that I can't get at because the wet side lines of my keggerator got damaged while moving >< planning to start a batch of cider and a batch of mead (probably another batch of the lime mead i made last winter...) soon.

I've got everything together to brew an IPA based on the Zymurgy Pliny the Elder recipe. My plan was to make it with Wyeast 1056 in the next week or so, but I just snagged a bottle of Yeast Bay's Conan. i think I'll split the batch and go with half Conan, half Chico.

Have a batch of porter and a batch of English bitter sitting in kegs that I can't get at because the wet side lines of my keggerator got damaged while moving >< planning to start a batch of cider and a batch of mead (probably another batch of the lime mead i made last winter...) soon.

That is a complete bummer, I'm glad I just ordered some spare line to have around! I've got a brown porter in primary and two ipa's in kegs. Up next will be an irish red and a belgian dubbel.

Just ordered ingredients today: single malt single hop american pale, and a stout. Brewing for a charity event in May so I wanted to get started now. I also have a nut brown ready to brew at home, for my own consumption. I need to get crackin!

I have to build an immersion chiller though as I am going to be doing full volume boil outdoors now.

The first batch will be an American honey wheat ale, It's the brewers best American wheat ale and I'm looking in to subbing some of the sugar with honey.

So I just put my first batch in my carboy and back in the closet for two weeks. Looking good so far but if I could ask if anybody has any experience with alla hydrometers I could use a little help not a lot of info online about them. Im looking at the OG and FG readings to get my total abv.

So I just put my first batch in my carboy and back in the closet for two weeks. Looking good so far but if I could ask if anybody has any experience with alla hydrometers I could use a little help not a lot of info online about them. Im looking at the OG and FG readings to get my total abv.

Here you go, this calculator should help. You just enter your OG and FG and it should provide you with your abv. Hopefully that answers your question, but if not let me know!

http://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/

thanks for the link. something has to be wrong on my readings its in range on the hydrometer and with the sheet but its saying my abv is only 2.5 it should be 6.5

thanks for the link. something has to be wrong on my readings its in range on the hydrometer and with the sheet but its saying my abv is only 2.5 it should be 6.5

Are you brewing extract or all gain? Did you correct your hydrometers for sample temp?

This was a kit a Brewers best american pale wheat (this was my first attempt at brewing). So my OG should have been between 1.058-1.062 mine was 1.050. The FG ranges at 1.009-1.012 mine was at 1.020. Which gives me a 3.94% abv. Temps taken between 64'f and 72'f. I switched over to my 2nd stage fermenting which this kit calls for but I am reading a lot that this should and can be avoided. This is when I was told to take my FG reading which came out low. Now I still have about 2 weeks until I bottle but Its saying I should have my abv at 6.25-6.75% at this point.

Top Bottom