What's new

What are you brewing?

You guys have been busy. I'm impressed, zombies, cider, first all grain brew with porter in a bag, english bitters, beautiful apple wine, it's all amazing. After a 6 month hiatus from brewing, I dipped my toes back in the pool, but I'm almost embarrassed to mention at this point. Instead of going to my friends orchard, I grabbed some cider at the grocery store and dropped it in a fermenter with some cinnamon and cloves. To be fair, I don't have a friend's orchard or a press, so I'm alright with this method, though envious of the orchard and the press. I also grabbed some orange juice and dropped it in a fermenter with some wine yeast. I didn't measure anything this time, just yeast, sugar, blast off. I have used grapefruit juice in a ferment but not a citrus juice only ferment, so I'm curious to see what I end up with. Happy bubbles!

I also grabbed some orange juice and dropped it in a fermenter with some wine yeast. I didn't measure anything this time, just yeast, sugar, blast off. I have used grapefruit juice in a ferment but not a citrus juice only ferment, so I'm curious to see what I end up with. Happy bubbles!

Yeasts make the best pets! I haven't fermented directly from the shelves but I often have that in minded when I shop for my family provisions. At some point I hope to crush and press my own apples but I enjoy saving the effort and getting some fresh cider from my local orchard and running from there. I'm shooting to drink a something like what I would be happy to pay for. I've had lots of homebrew that was not worth finishing. I know there is (could be) a lot of science and finessing that yields an award winning ale and wine but I also appreciate that a lot of awesome glasses were filled with some simple foot stomping poured into a vessel and let run. There is major between the two.

Best of luck to your yeast and your glass. There is magic in the process, luck and nature will fill the gap in the science if you provide the right conditions. Sugar and yeast want to become a beverage of choice.

Tom

Alright, I've racked and re-racked the cider and oj wine. The spiced cider was pretty tasty and I think will be good after a bit of time in the bottle. The oj smells fantastic, like a passion fruit exploded in your face. It tastes like a really strong mimosa so that's not a bad thing. They're both about ready for bottles.

Today, I went ahead and brewed up my local ale. I picked a bunch of herbs from the parks around here with the intention of brewing them up, and after drying them out for a good long time, finally got to it. I got the wort to boil over and make a nasty mess, so that was fun. The final wort tastes very good, the flavor from the herbs is not overbearing and the smell is definitely reminiscent of the chaparral. Estimated abv is around 8%. Now the yeast are working their magic and I can relax and cook Thanksgiving dinner.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Alright, I've racked and re-racked the cider and oj wine. The spiced cider was pretty tasty and I think will be good after a bit of time in the bottle. The oj smells fantastic, like a passion fruit exploded in your face. It tastes like a really strong mimosa so that's not a bad thing. They're both about ready for bottles.

Today, I went ahead and brewed up my local ale. I picked a bunch of herbs from the parks around here with the intention of brewing them up, and after drying them out for a good long time, finally got to it. I got the wort to boil over and make a nasty mess, so that was fun. The final wort tastes very good, the flavor from the herbs is not overbearing and the smell is definitely reminiscent of the chaparral. Estimated abv is around 8%. Now the yeast are working their magic and I can relax and cook Thanksgiving dinner.
I am truly impressed!
Wow!
I could actually taste your description and my mouth is watering!!

Has been a super busy spring and summer for work. Not much time to get on B&B let alone brew. Since last post I did manage to brew a Sam Adams clone and last week brewed a German Pilsner.

Had the day off, brewed a Premium English Bitter. If I’m real lucky I can have it fermented, in the keg and carbonated for New Years.

Top Bottom