What's new

What are TOP contenders for the "Most-est for the least-est" Aftershave ?

Hi again all,

Thanks once again for all your most excellent suggestions. I am taking note of ALL suggestions!

SixCats!

It's really impossible to come up with a "most-est for the least-est" list. The problem is that scent preference is a subjective attribute. As far as I can tell, AV is probably just as effective as MSB for, say, skin soothing, but the scent put them worlds apart.
Ultimately it's a popularity survey.

I would never seek advice on selecting an aftershave, except to ask "Is X similar to Y?"
This worked when I asked if the scent of Proraso Red AS was anything like the croap. Also for the Reuzel AS scent being similar to Reuzel's hair tonic.
The sniff test is clearly the best way to go. It's a pity that so few mail-order shops offer collections of sample vials.

Last edited:
@John Rose , Hi JR, yea, I hear you John. I figured I could/should at least "tap into" the vast knowledge of B&B members and learn about new (to me) products that are well received and, there IS a lot of products!

Regards,

SixCats!

Gillette - Cool Wave splash, usually only 6 or 7 bucks at most US pharmacies, comes in a really nice hefty glass bottle inside a blue box.

for a little fancier - Proraso Green is awesome for summer, and also the Cella aftershave splash feels (to me) like wearing a light fresh sophisticated european cologne

In the $12 range I don’t think you can go wrong with Stirling! Terrific range of scents and tons of skin food makes the dollar go further.

I might get flamed for this... but leastest for the mostest would be Barberry Coast Bay Rum in my opinion. For $34 I enjoy it, but not at that price. Splash’s for half or 1/3 of that price equals or surpasses the skin food quality for me.

@johnwick , Hi John, you bring up a good point. The thing is (having been a long time Fragrance Hobbyist)
I just can't bring myself to spending lots of money on the likes of "Aftershave" lotion which is mostly made of up water/Alcohol/Fragrance. I've even now reached the point that I have cut waaaaay back on my spending HABIT of purchasing "niche" Fragrances. Man, talk about a Rabbit hole! Presently, I own a few rather pricey Colognes however, on the whole, I attempt to find the "best of the best" reasonable priced Colognes. Such an example of a great Fragrance at a modest price would be the likes of Caron "Yatagan" Cologne. However, I own Fragrances that are MUCH more expensive (for example) MARLOU 50ml d'ambiguite which cost is in excess of one hundred dollars for a small 50ml bottle! Crazy eh ? So, for me (being an out of control) Fragrance Head, I have to tread lightly least I will wind up in the poor house. That being said, Oooh dear God, how I love Marlou d'ambiguite! A very acquired taste!
50ml d'Ambiguite Eau de Parfum by Marlou | Luckyscent

SixCats!

Gables Bay Rum
Pinaud Lime Sec
Skin Bracer
AV Musk
All are excellent in my book. AV Ice Blue not so much. It smells skunky with my body chemistry. Gables is DIRT cheap and a very refreshing splash. Lime Sec is good and if you were to perspire a bit, it reactivates a little. Skin Bracer and AV Musk..well..they are tried and true time tested favorites. I also have many left over from the dark days of my past. Mennen Millionaire, Black Suede <shudder>, Old Spice Leather..you get the drift. Yes..I started shaving in 1980 and still have all sorts of old partial and full bottles of this and that.

I vote for anything Pinaud!! :a14::a14:

All are worth a try IMO. Great value for the $, plus Clubman is an all-time favorite of mine!!

"Most-est for the least-est"

Pinaud Clubman
Gable's Bay Rum
Gabel's Touch of Lime
Aqua Velva Musk

All are great. You just have to get over the fancy bottle thing, some can't.

Another vote for Clubman. It always reminds me of the days when barbers would trim around your ears with a straight razor and dust with powder.

I agree with Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva as being great values and must haves. But my vote for best value goes to Vintage Avon, especially Spicy. It can be found at thrift stores, antique shops, flea markets, garage sales.... Often for a buck or two, sometimes even cheaper.

I think Chatillon Lux is a great value on the other side of the coin.

Instead of gallons of ultra cheap stuff at the drugstore......

Chatillon Lux=
Bottle is kind of small. Costs $15. it smells like a $60 aftershave, and a little goes a long way.

Hi Guys,

@MM879, "You just have to get over the fancy bottle thing, some can't." Speaking of fancy bottle(s)
Might any of you guys use and/or have suggestions as to what type of GLASS bottles to use in place of the (for instance) Clubman's PLASTIC bottles ? I've heard suggested that one should pour the Clubman into a Glass Bottle and ditch the plastic bottle.

@Trubert , Hi Tru, PRORASO is on my "short list". Thanks for the suggestion.
"
@troy, Pray tell Troy, which vintage AVON (Spicy) should I keep an Eye open for ? Do you have a favorites ?
I'm a "Thrift Shop" Junkie and I see AVON for sale all the time. I will also look into Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva
(I hear the MUSK Aqua Velva is quite good!). You know what they say......"there's SOMETHING about an Aqua Velva Man!"

@FOG, Great memories FOG!

@guitarslinger, "Instead of gallons of ultra cheap stuff at the drugstore......"
GS, thanks for your suggestion. However, I (for the most part) just can not bring myself to purchase small EXPENSIVE bottles of "Aftershave" splash. It's bad enough that I have a Fragrance (Niche Cologne) addiction (see above example regarding MARLOU Cologne). In this case, I want a large amount of good/decent product for not a lot of cost. Then again, uggggh, many Aftershave products on my "short list" are about the same cost as Chatillon Lux so.......we shall see. Thanks.

SixCats!

I agree this is somewhat location based. For me, Aqua Velva and Pinaud Clubman are my favorite inexpensive (notice I didn’t say cheap) aftershaves. I also think Gillette Cool Wave is a nice, more modern, option.

When ever you see a bunch cheap just grab one of each scent you see and or whatever bottles catch your eye. Spicy is my favorite, but I also like to many others I've been wearing a lot of Oland during the cooler months. Lots of great Avon info here Vintage Avon find and here The ALPHA Team is recruiting members
P1070171(rc1rs).jpg

And sometimes they come in normal shaped bottles too, like this Bay Rum.
P1090094(rc1rs).jpg

And if you run across a Toggle, buy that too!

My vote for best bang for the buck are Gabel’s aftershaves. 16 oz. for $5.50-$6.25 depending on which flavor. That works out to $0.40 an ounce or less (pre shipping). I have the bay rum and drops of lime. Bracing, refreshing, and smell great. The bay rum is straight up bay and mixes well with others bootlegger style, and the lime is a brisk, dry lime. I made a 50/50 mix of Gabel’s lime and Pinaud Lime Sec that smells somewhat similar to vintage Avon Island Lime.

Top Bottom