What's new

What are the next fashion trends?

If Giorgio Armani told me to wear my birthday suit, I would say "with curls or without".

In all seriousness, I check his website for inspiration. Of course, I shop at some other website or a store that I can afford. However I always have one item with his name on the tag, navy blue t-shirt.

I read an interview of him when I was 15, he said the only thing that is constant in his wardrobe is a navy blue t-shirt.

Last edited:
This has mostly been covered before, but what drives me mad is people not dressing appropriately for the occasion. I understand that times have changed and people generally dress more casual, but there should be some absolutes. For example, several years ago I was at a wedding (in a church) for my wife's grandfather (really - he was remarrying at 90!). Other than the groom and his best man, I was the only person with a tie on. Every other man had on polo shirts or the odd button up shirt, and in some cases it was not tucked in. I've encountered the same thing at the symphony.

I'm not trying to say you need to dress in a three-piece suit to collect the mail - unless you want to; you do you - but if you are going out to a wedding, funeral, play, or nice dinner you should be appropriately dressed. Sometimes that means a tie, sometimes not. But you can still look very well dressed without a suit and tie, and it takes little more effort than putting on faded jeans and ill-fitting polo shirt.

Sorry, rant over.

This has mostly been covered before, but what drives me mad is people not dressing appropriately for the occasion. I understand that times have changed and people generally dress more casual, but there should be some absolutes. For example, several years ago I was at a wedding (in a church) for my wife's grandfather (really - he was remarrying at 90!). Other than the groom and his best man, I was the only person with a tie on. Every other man had on polo shirts or the odd button up shirt, and in some cases it was not tucked in. I've encountered the same thing at the symphony.

I'm not trying to say you need to dress in a three-piece suit to collect the mail - unless you want to; you do you - but if you are going out to a wedding, funeral, play, or nice dinner you should be appropriately dressed. Sometimes that means a tie, sometimes not. But you can still look very well dressed without a suit and tie, and it takes little more effort than putting on faded jeans and ill-fitting polo shirt.

Sorry, rant over.
First, I 100% agree with you, unfortunately there are a lot of the younger demographic who do not. They have been led to believe that suits and ties are just the 21st century version of the top hat and tailcoat, uncomfortable and hopelessly out of date. Suits do not take well to mechanized industrialization compared to T-shirts and polos, so the price of entry for a suit that is above costume level is comparatively higher then the cost of that polo shirt.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
First, I 100% agree with you, unfortunately there are a lot of the younger demographic who do not. They have been led to believe that suits and ties are just the 21st century version of the top hat and tailcoat, uncomfortable and hopelessly out of date. Suits do not take well to mechanized industrialization compared to T-shirts and polos, so the price of entry for a suit that is above costume level is comparatively higher then the cost of that polo shirt.
When you're worth a few billion, wear what you want. Until then, the smart money still wears suits.

This is not an original idea of mine, but I think due to the archival nature of the internet and the ease at which to find like minded sub-communities (like this one) trends will be a bit more disjointed and tribal in general. The internet has even managed to resurrect many dead and dying “trends”. Much of what we do as human beings are still tribal in nature. For example we belong to a tribe of wet-shavers who enjoy the ritual of a proper shave.

Fashion trends have always been tribal, but now it is much easier to find “your tribe” so to speak. There are fashion trends even in this community on which soaps and brushes are “fashionable” and which are not in 2021. If you look into a thread from 2010 you will see what I mean on those subtle changes.

The ability to see clearly the zeitgeist of an era on something as simple as “what soaps did wet shavers like to use in 2010?” means those opinions and thoughts are much more solidified then in times past, thus making it easier to look up and maintain “trends” in all their nuanced glory.

To a guy views shaving as a chore to get done as quickly and efficiently as possible with an electric he never likes to clean, we are the ones out of style as he does not find value in what we find value in. If he were here as a malcontent constantly telling us we are wasting our time with our rituals, we would all question why he was even a member and what his motive was to stick around and continually talk about how unfashionable a proper wet shave would be. He would not be a member of the tribe in our eyes but an outsider we would all view with suspicion. Personally, I would be waiting for him to eventually out himself as a kickstarter self cleaning electric razor salesman.
When you're worth a few billion, wear what you want. Until then, the smart money still wears suits.
Couldn’t agree more!

Last edited:

There's certainly a lot of truth here. There are also cultural and economic issues at play - what is acceptable in one culture is not in another; younger people who are just starting out life have less to spend than those more established. I'd be happy if (young) men at least tried. Khakis, shirt, tie? At least you are trying.

I have long maintained that men will continue to dress like slobs as long as their wives/girlfriends let them get away with it. Too many times I've seen a woman dressed up and her boyfriend/husband is dressed in shorts and T-shirt. If she put her foot down and refused to go out with him until he was dressed appropriately, he would change.

I have long maintained that men will continue to dress like slobs as long as their wives/girlfriends let them get away with it. Too many times I've seen a woman dressed up and her boyfriend/husband is dressed in shorts and T-shirt. If she put her foot down and refused to go out with him until he was dressed appropriately, he would change.
For discussions sake, I might offer another perspective. It’s the Fathers (or Mothers) role to teach the youth proper etiquette and dress. This is just as important as teaching them how to drive or change a tire. To suggest that it’s the wives or girlfriends responsibility to cue their partners to dress better, is to put them in a parental role. In my experience women don’t want to parent their partners. While I understand the above opinion, I would rather place the responsibility on the parents, opposed to the partner. Parents chose to accept the role of parenting (which includes teaching your child how to dress), a girlfriend/wife shouldn’t be asked to be responsible for parenting their partner.

I love old movies. Pre 1950 film noir. I love the clothes. I often wonder if we will ever go back to a more classic style of daily dress. Men have abandoned the suit and fedora, and have adopted the casual jeans tshirt and skip cap. Women have abandoned the dress and hat and have adopted spandex tights and t-shirts. Where oh where have the good old days gone? Yes, I know I live in a dream world. I wonder what the next fashion trends will be? Anyone care to speculate?

I'm a big film noir fan, also. They did have great clothing back then. It would be nice if society went back to the style of that era, well, I could do without the really high waisted trousers and spats, but for example, the clothing styles in the film Casablanca are fantastic, IMHO.

Back in the 1980's, I was in sales, and wore the white collar uniform. Frankly, neckties annoy the he.. out of me. I'm fine with pleated Dockers and a polo shirt and penny loafers. Glad I don't have to wear the white collar uniform any more.

As for suits being extinct, not yet. Professionals (lawyers, bankers, politicians, etc.) can still be found wearing them. Beyond that, they are pretty rare, at least in the Heartland, which is where I live. Things might be different on the coasts, but probably not.

As for hats, I think cars killed hats. Unless the auto makers bring back high head room cars like they had in the 1940's, any hat with high rise like a fedora is out. Maybe they could make a comeback in the walking cities, but in suburbia and rural areas where you need a car to get around, forget about it. BTW, I have male pattern baldness, and LOVE hats and caps. I occasionally wear some old fedoras that I got from my parent's estate, and have an accumulation of various hats and caps that I've acquired over many decades. No fez yet, Doctor, but maybe some day.

As to the future, expect tactical clothing, and plate carriers. Then, replace them with prison uniforms, then replace them with whatever the Peoples Republic of China wears. I don't expect we will ever see high style come back in fashion in our lifetime. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but the way things are going in the nation right now, that's what I foresee.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If Giorgio Armani told me to wear my birthday suit, I would say "with curls or without".

In all seriousness, I check his website for inspiration. Of course, I shop at some other website or a store that I can afford. However I always have one item with his name on the tag, navy blue t-shirt.

I read an interview of him when I was 15, he said the only thing that is constant in his wardrobe is a navy blue t-shirt.
I used to like Bill Blass.... Lol, I guess my smartfone is psychic! It Otto Mattickly changed Blass to Blas's!

My question was, "is Bill Blass still a brand?"

At least my son likes my skinny ties that are twice his age!

FarmerTan

I'm a big film noir fan, also. They did have great clothing back then. It would be nice if society went back to the style of that era, well, I could do without the really high waisted trousers and spats, but for example, the clothing styles in the film Casablanca are fantastic, IMHO.

Back in the 1980's, I was in sales, and wore the white collar uniform. Frankly, neckties annoy the he.. out of me. I'm fine with pleated Dockers and a polo shirt and penny loafers. Glad I don't have to wear the white collar uniform any more.

As for suits being extinct, not yet. Professionals (lawyers, bankers, politicians, etc.) can still be found wearing them. Beyond that, they are pretty rare, at least in the Heartland, which is where I live. Things might be different on the coasts, but probably not.

As for hats, I think cars killed hats. Unless the auto makers bring back high head room cars like they had in the 1940's, any hat with high rise like a fedora is out. Maybe they could make a comeback in the walking cities, but in suburbia and rural areas where you need a car to get around, forget about it. BTW, I have male pattern baldness, and LOVE hats and caps. I occasionally wear some old fedoras that I got from my parent's estate, and have an accumulation of various hats and caps that I've acquired over many decades. No fez yet, Doctor, but maybe some day.

As to the future, expect tactical clothing, and plate carriers. Then, replace them with prison uniforms, then replace them with whatever the Peoples Republic of China wears. I don't expect we will ever see high style come back in fashion in our lifetime. Sorry to be so pessimistic, but the way things are going in the nation right now, that's what I foresee.
I fear your last paragraph is on target. I irritate my friends when I tell them my grandchildren will be bilingual, speaking both Cantonese and American English, ha.

I suspect Hollywood's romanticized, glamourized version of what people wore mid 20th century or any other era had little to do with what the average person on the street was actually wearing.
dave

HAND FORGING (THE BLADES FOR SPRING KNIVES) - https://www.yfanefa.com/record/3922 (Blacksmiths forging knives, notice they're wearing waistcoats and ties, hard work no excuse for slovenliness)

Plenty more where this came from. Some aspects of the past aren't unrealistic fictions. The myth of the present is as much a deceit as anything anyone says about the past.

FarmerTan

HAND FORGING (THE BLADES FOR SPRING KNIVES) - https://www.yfanefa.com/record/3922 (Blacksmiths forging knives, notice they're wearing waistcoats and ties, hard work no excuse for slovenliness)

Plenty more where this came from. Some aspects of the past aren't unrealistic fictions. The myth of the present is as much a deceit as anything anyone says about the past.
Thank you SO MUCH for posting these movies!

The more things change the more they stay the same I suppose.

The movie of San Francisco in 1906 is haunting....I wonder how many of those folks became victims just four days later? And think of all the blending of "eras" and "technology" caught on camera! Horses, carriages, bicycles, foot traffic. Again, thank you my friend!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
At the risk of causing offence, I do view this thread (and others like it), with some amusement.

Conformity has never been a significant priority of mine. From my late teens to mid 20s, I had long hair. It became shorter during my managerial years, but that was as much for convenience than appearance. I was a manager at work, and outside work I was running a boatyard, training in psychotherapy, and taking lead roles in stage productions.

Activities were many. Time was short. Low maintenance grooming helped.

In my late 30s, I started setting up my own engineering facility, dropped the peripheral activities, and the hair started growing again. It never got much beyond collar length for safety reasons, but when disability hit, the hair carried on down to below the rib cage.

Dress wise, I could still be the best dressed guy on the right occasion. Hiking boots, cargo pants, and casual shirt were more likely in my active days though. More practical too. These days, I don't even own a suit. I have no need of one. Formal occasions are so rare for me, I'll wait to see what my waist measurement is at the time, next time one arises.

Cords or chinos, and a non-wrinkled shirt, are as smart as I ever need to be now. Ties? I have several dozen. It's probably eight years since I last felt the need to wear one though. Nowadays I walk everywhere most of the time. With my disability, that calls for comfortable footwear. Footwear that doesn't suit "gentlemanly" attire. I'll only don the brogues if getting a lift or taxi.

No one ever wore a suit and tie to watch me on stage, and I don't wear one to go and watch others tread the boards. Yet I am never under dressed.

With my long hair, lack of suit, comfortable shoes, and either leather, wax cotton, or gore-tex jacket, I can still conduct myself in a gentlemanly manner. If anyone cannot see beyond my presented appearance, to the person beyond, that says more about them than me.

Douglas Bader said that "rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men", and I think that fashion is as good an application of that quote as any. If it's a black tie event, that's what I'll wear, and I'll still stand out from the crowd. If not, I will dress in my own style, in my own comfort, in my own judgement of the setting and occasion, and will laugh in the face of anyone who thinks I fall short of their standards. I will never confine myself to the limitations of another persons mind.

If a tie and fedora are your sense of style, embrace it and enjoy it, and wear them with pride, but do not think ill of those who think, dress, or act somewhat differently. Treat those in more casual rags as ladies and gentlemen too, as in many cases, they absolutely will be.

If a tie and fedora are your sense of style, embrace it and enjoy it, and wear them with pride, but do not think ill of those who think, dress, or act somewhat differently. Treat those in more casual rags as ladies and gentlemen too, as in many cases, they absolutely will be.

No one wants to go back to a pastiche of the 50's. Some of simply think that a not insignificant number of people these days dress, not even casually, but like slobs and it's true. I don't want to see guys turn up to church in sandals, shorts and a Def Leppard t-shirt (true story) or see the bellies of out of shape women peeking out of badly fitting leggings and crop tops when I'm shopping for groceries (true story). I'm going to go on record and say it's ugly.

For discussions sake, I might offer another perspective. It’s the Fathers (or Mothers) role to teach the youth proper etiquette and dress. This is just as important as teaching them how to drive or change a tire. To suggest that it’s the wives or girlfriends responsibility to cue their partners to dress better, is to put them in a parental role. In my experience women don’t want to parent their partners. While I understand the above opinion, I would rather place the responsibility on the parents, opposed to the partner. Parents chose to accept the role of parenting (which includes teaching your child how to dress), a girlfriend/wife shouldn’t be asked to be responsible for parenting their partner.

Yes, parents absolutely should teach their kids how to dress. But I didn't say girlfriends/wives should - I said they shouldn't accept it.

At the risk of causing offence, I do view this thread (and others like it), with some amusement.

Conformity has never been a significant priority of mine. From my late teens to mid 20s, I had long hair. It became shorter during my managerial years, but that was as much for convenience than appearance. I was a manager at work, and outside work I was running a boatyard, training in psychotherapy, and taking lead roles in stage productions.

Activities were many. Time was short. Low maintenance grooming helped.

In my late 30s, I started setting up my own engineering facility, dropped the peripheral activities, and the hair started growing again. It never got much beyond collar length for safety reasons, but when disability hit, the hair carried on down to below the rib cage.

Dress wise, I could still be the best dressed guy on the right occasion. Hiking boots, cargo pants, and casual shirt were more likely in my active days though. More practical too. These days, I don't even own a suit. I have no need of one. Formal occasions are so rare for me, I'll wait to see what my waist measurement is at the time, next time one arises.

Cords or chinos, and a non-wrinkled shirt, are as smart as I ever need to be now. Ties? I have several dozen. It's probably eight years since I last felt the need to wear one though. Nowadays I walk everywhere most of the time. With my disability, that calls for comfortable footwear. Footwear that doesn't suit "gentlemanly" attire. I'll only don the brogues if getting a lift or taxi.

No one ever wore a suit and tie to watch me on stage, and I don't wear one to go and watch others tread the boards. Yet I am never under dressed.

With my long hair, lack of suit, comfortable shoes, and either leather, wax cotton, or gore-tex jacket, I can still conduct myself in a gentlemanly manner. If anyone cannot see beyond my presented appearance, to the person beyond, that says more about them than me.

Douglas Bader said that "rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men", and I think that fashion is as good an application of that quote as any. If it's a black tie event, that's what I'll wear, and I'll still stand out from the crowd. If not, I will dress in my own style, in my own comfort, in my own judgement of the setting and occasion, and will laugh in the face of anyone who thinks I fall short of their standards. I will never confine myself to the limitations of another persons mind.

You would fit right in at the company I work for. It is the 2nd largest mining company in the world and I have yet to see a company photo of the CEO with a tie. In my previous company, the worlds largest mining company, my manager shaves her head.

Kind of works out well for me, with the 90's look coming back in and I am now back working in an office environment at the same time. Spent big on singles' day sale, bought couple of Oxford shirts and chinos, no more dress trousers and shirts for me.

Last edited:
Much of fashion is how you wear your clothes. Does your clothing fit well? Do you pay attention to clothing color matches? Is your clothing clean? Are your shirts or pants wrinkled? Do you keep your clothing in good repair? Do you wear clothing that complements your physical appearance ( for example, do you wear clothing that makes you look thinner if you are stout or fuller if you are thin; shorter if you are very tall or taller if you are very short?)

Do you pay attention to detail even when dressing casually? Do you dress for your age, not trying to match the fashion of folks very much younger than yourself? If you wear glasses, do they fit your face; do they represent the image you are trying to project with how you dress? Are your fingernails trimmed? Is you face shaved or beard trimmed? Do you stand and walk with good posture? Others could add more to this list, but suffice it to say that each of these things is important no matter what fashion trend you follow, or not.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Much of fashion is how you wear your clothes. Does your clothing fit well? Do you pay attention to clothing color matches? Is your clothing clean? Are your shirts or pants wrinkled? Do you keep your clothing in good repair? Do you wear clothing that complements your physical appearance ( for example, do you wear clothing that makes you look thinner if you are stout or fuller if you are thin; shorter if you are very tall or taller if you are very short?)

Do you pay attention to detail even when dressing casually? Do you dress for your age, not trying to match the fashion of folks very much younger than yourself? If you wear glasses, do they fit your face; do they represent the image you are trying to project with how you dress? Are your fingernails trimmed? Is you face shaved or beard trimmed? Do you stand and walk with good posture? Others could add more to this list, but suffice it to say that each of these things is important no matter what fashion trend you follow, or not.
I totally agree with you, but I would call that good style, not fashion. As we consistently lament in these pages, looking terrible is very much in fashion at the moment.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This has mostly been covered before, but what drives me mad is people not dressing appropriately for the occasion. I understand that times have changed and people generally dress more casual, but there should be some absolutes.
Yes but ...

... I don't think there are "absolutes", at least in terms of specific items of clothing for a specific event. What was appropriate for a given event in 1621 would have been ludicrous to wear to a similar event in 1821, and laughable at the event in 2021 ... and wearing the 2021-appropriate-garb in 1621 would have been ... um ... interesting.

But yes, there ARE occasions where one ought to wear "the appropriate sort of thing" ... whatever that means in the current era. And no, that doesn't mean the "lowest common denominator" that is (reluctantly) allowed but the "dang, you look sharp!" homerun outfit.
I have long maintained that men will continue to dress like slobs as long as their wives/girlfriends let them get away with it. Too many times I've seen a woman dressed up and her boyfriend/husband is dressed in shorts and T-shirt.
Back in the "early days" of the British Empire in India, the Englishmen who went there were pretty quick to adopt native customs (dress, food, customs, ... and wives). It wasn't until the English ladies started going there in some numbers as well that the Englishmen kept their English manners and mannerisms intact and staunchly defended, rather than "going native".
To suggest that it’s the wives or girlfriends responsibility to cue their partners to dress better, is to put them in a parental role. In my experience women don’t want to parent their partners.
Nowadays, what passes for a "man" is really just an overgrown man-child. Told he ought to wear a certain level of dress for a certain event, he'll pout and "but I don't wannaa!!!" Husband and wife ought to be working as a team, challenging each other to be the best versions of themselves ... but when either one of them devolved into the "I'm perfect whatever way I want to be ... take it or leave it" overgrown child, things start falling apart.
As for hats, I think cars killed hats. Unless the auto makers bring back high head room cars like they had in the 1940's, any hat with high rise like a fedora is out.
The hardest thing about wearing a brimmed hat in the modern car is the headrest.

1639765559507.png

As to the future, expect tactical clothing, and plate carriers. Then, replace them with prison uniforms, then replace them with whatever the Peoples Republic of China wears.
"Dramatic stare at horizon".

1639765795308.png

1639765824826.png

Young people in the US now days are often only a paycheck or two away from homelessness, and they spend all their money on rent and work-mandated clothing. Many simply don't have very elaborate taste in clothes as a result. Millenials drink out of mason jar routinely, as people did in the Depression.

Top Bottom