What's new

What are the next fashion trends?

Well, if Hollywood of fifty years ago is to be believed, we will soon be all wearing matching unitards, with slight colour variations in the accents to denote societal rank and/or occupation.

See you at Carousel.

"If you are strong, you win renewal."

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
See you at Carousel.

"If you are strong, you win renewal."

Hands up everyone who got that reference.

1573589010688.png

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I love old movies!

Tough to beat the elegance and excellent haberdashery from those times IMHO!! :a29:
Sorry for the late reply here, but I was at a family reunion in August or September, looked at a bunch of old photos. One thing stood out from the WW2 shots: how skinny everyone was! And how even the beefier folks were at least well dressed. Neck ties, fedoras, skirts....and all seemed to be well fitting/tailored.

My recent ancestors looked like movie stars (dad) or at least extras, no kidding.

I need to eat less, lol!

Re next fashion trends:

Based on what I am seeing in various contexts on TV, I would say that ties are actually getting narrower again. This is unusual in that they never got all that wide this "cycle."

Narrower ties, mean narrower suit lapels and smaller shirt collars. I suspect, but am not sure, that it also means pleated trousers are not coming back.

Just an off the top of my head observation/prediction!

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I really do not care much what the next trend may be. I have dressed pretty much the same way since I got out of short pants in the mid 1950s. However, I appreciate it more. I wear plain front trousers, usually khakis or cords, and OCBDs or polos. I wear loafers or camp mocs. I buy natural fibers that have not been treated so that they never wrinkle. I buy USA because I like supporting workers in my country and keeping my tax dollars at home. When I need something like a sweater I buy one made in a country I respect. I like things that wear well and will stay out of landfills. I like comfort. News flash...Khakis are more comfortable than jeans. I enjoy dressing up, but my dress clothes are comfortable. I like sack suits and jackets. I wear sweaters when it gets cool in the house. My next quest is to find more sources for clothing made from organic cotton. Cotton is a nasty crop, consuming gobs of chemicals and water. It can be grown much more responsibly. I do not subscribe to athleisure even to work out. I like my ancient grey sweats.

I think the following clothing trends in the world are pieces that are comfortable and easy to wear. We are going to see still more of the athleisure stuff. It isn't going anywhere. Due to covid, retailers are not taking a big chance on riskier fashion. After all, where are you going to wear it? Nowadays, everything is based on comfort. People just want to feel relaxed and free. Yesterday I went to my massage session at 강남안마 | S급 라인업 | 010-5956-0205 【최상무】 - https://smileanma.com, and I never felt more alive after that. I believe it's the same with fashion trends. They have to make you feel confident, active but at the same time comfy too.
Forgot to say smth.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I try to stick with classics and rise above mere fashion. Some say it makes me look old and fusty. I say it makes me look wise and knowing, never mind suave and sophisticated. :thumbup1:

Besides, wearing trendy ripped jeans at age 74 makes one look like a bum (unless the damage is the result of one's own hard labor, in which case it ought to show signs of mending).

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I had to go back and read @Rusty Blade 's OP. I'm afraid his hope for the return of classic menswear is charmingly pre-pandemic. The actually popular trend has been accelerated towards more casual clothes with a greater emphasis on comfort, no doubt thanks to all the teleworking from home or other breaks from previous norms. Besides broader acceptance of "athleisure" as appropriate clothes for wearing out of the house, it has also meant a return of the fuller cuts and relaxed fits that were trendy in the 90's. This should be a welcome development to those proponents of classic style that railed against the skinny fit, three sizes too small, looks that have been dominant in the past twenty years or so. But none of that changes the best advice for dressing stylishly - avoid trends, wear what looks good on you (not a 120 lbs model), and dress intentionally for the task at hand and how you want to present yourself.

I had to go back and read @Rusty Blade 's OP. I'm afraid his hope for the return of classic menswear is charmingly pre-pandemic. The actually popular trend has been accelerated towards more casual clothes with a greater emphasis on comfort, no doubt thanks to all the teleworking from home or other breaks from previous norms. Besides broader acceptance of "athleisure" as appropriate clothes for wearing out of the house, it has also meant a return of the fuller cuts and relaxed fits that were trendy in the 90's. This should be a welcome development to those proponents of classic style that railed against the skinny fit, three sizes too small, looks that have been dominant in the past twenty years or so. But none of that changes the best advice for dressing stylishly - avoid trends, wear what looks good on you (not a 120 lbs model), and dress intentionally for the task at hand and how you want to present yourself.

Absolutely correct!
I try to stick with classics and rise above mere fashion.

As Coco Chanel said, "Fashion changes, style endures."

I think you are correct. Sadly the good old days of style are past. Baggy ill fitting track pants and hoodies will be around for a while.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Form follows function.

My lifestyle changed, and my wardrobe changed accordingly. Comfort leads the way, particularly in footwear, and everything is built on that "foundation".

If I'm staying home, and straying no further than the end of the street, I have no limitations. I can be as smart or as casual as I wish. Further afield, I mostly get around on foot. That means my wardrobe is built upon a foundation of walking/hiking or other well cushioned and comfortable boots or shoes, subject to weather, destination and planned distance.

I no longer drive, so brogues, deck shoes, or other footwear that isn't well cushioned, means getting a lift or a taxi. I might stretch it to a 1/4 mile or even 1/2 mile radius from home on foot, depending on the weather and direction of travel (it's hilly around here). However, that doesn't take me as far as the shops, doctor's surgery, or theatre, etc. Just to the post office and pharmacy.

As such, my trousers are all jeans, moleskins, chinos, cords, or hiking zip-offs. They are nearly all capable of being dressed up or down to suit the footwear.

I no longer own "dress" trousers, as I have no regular need of them, and they do not have the lifestyle versatility I need. They would need a shoe, which would force me to get a taxi, to somewhere I would otherwise have walked to. I can still get good use of my brogues and other "feel good" shoes, in a more casual trouser, without having to reach for the iron - another activity which is a physical challenge.

I never used to follow trends anyway though. This is the second time I have worn long hair, and last time my hair length was no more common than it is today. Between those two times, I was still very choosy about what I would buy, and rarely found myself wearing what everyone else was.

Whether in fashion, or in anything else in life, I've never really been much of a follower. I'd always walk my own path, and my wardrobe often reflected that.

Top Bottom