What's new

What are some sought after classics that you regard as overrated?

I think vintage Gillette TTO's in general are overrated.
I've tried a few different ones and didn't like any of em very much, like my Merkurs a whole lot better.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Oh no!

Not another New Merkur / Vintage Gillette spat!

What's next - a Chevrolet versus Ford argument?

Use what you like. Buy what you want. Recommend what you prefer, but leave the other guys choices alone and out of the argument.

Oh no!

Use what you like. Buy what you want. Recommend what you prefer, but leave the other guys choices alone and out of the argument.

The Merkur lovers certainly get pissy when you dis their razors, but have no problem slamming Gillettes.
That's why topics like this are a joke.:wink2:
The original poster had an ulterior motive.

Oh no!

You are absolutely right about this is call FREEDOM.......

To every Razor - turn, turn, turn
There is a reason - turn, turn, turn
And a kind for every shaver, under heaven

A kind with red tips, an open comb
A kind that adjusts, a kind that's three piece
A kind with scales, a kind that slants
A kind that's fat, a kind named Slim

To every Razor - turn, turn, turn
There is a reason - turn, turn, turn
And a kind for every shaver, under heaven

A kind that flips up, a kind that breaks down
A kind that twists, a kind that's fixed
A kind that ejects the used blades
Just don't try to give me no Fusion

The Fatboy is, in my opinion, the coolest LOOKing razor ever. But as a shaver its mediocre at best.

The Fat boy is definitely one of the most overrated razors ever. I love the way it looks and I love how it feels in my hands, but getting smooth underneath the chin is nearly impossible with this razor. I've set it to 9, yes, I have used feathers, yes. The NEW trumps this razor.

No one is getting "pissy" on this thread except the guy who whines that others are getting pissy. That is usually how it goes on personal opinion threads all over the net.

By definition any answer to this topic would have to be ymmv. I think most people realize that, surely.

The Gillette Sensor is overrated.

He´s very handy, but the construction could be more effective.
Wilkinson Protector does better.

Honestly, every cartridge razor after the Trac II (which debuted way back in 1971) is over-rated. The Trac II was a bare bones no frills cartridge razor, and when paired with a heavy all metal handle is a great razor.

All the so called "improvements" after the Trac II were fully unnecessary, and nothing more than marketing hype.

If you shave with a DE/ SE/ or Injector everyday, you know that the pivot function is unnecessary, and mostly a development for the lazy. :thumbdown

YMMV for sure, but I don't think this thread was intended to be a personal letdown thread.

When I mentioned the Fat Boy, I did it because it is a razor that seems to sell for ungodly prices and is hailed as the best shaver ever by some. That's simply too much hype. It's a good shaver, but as was mentioned earlier, it's not the pinnacle of shaving experiences.

As I see it, this thread is about those razors that everyone seems to gush over but then offer a pretty good shave at best, not deserving of the hype and price inflation.

I agree with Luc about the aggressiveness of the redtip. Good shaver just sorta mild for my tastes. Perhaps a lot of the Fatboy bashing is the hype that this model has received? Still the best for me, have sold away everything else I have but my 3 fats remain in my rack...

No one is getting "pissy" on this thread except the guy who whines that others are getting pissy. That is usually how it goes on personal opinion threads all over the net.

By definition any answer to this topic would have to be ymmv. I think most people realize that, surely.

I wasn't whining, I was trying to be humorous.
Since you agree that this is a YMMV thread it's basically worthless as a guide.
The OP's motive is he has his opinion and he want's conformation.
If a person pays what he latter believes is too much for a certain vintage razor, who's fault is that? the seller? the buyer? it's certainly not the razors fault.
Every razor and brand of razor has it fans and it's naysayer.
Threads like this turn out to be divisive.

Last edited:
Throw in another Fatboy vote. Completely overrated. I'll take a slim adj any day.

Actually, 49 out of 50 shaves for me are with a Merkur 38c, or 38r these days.

Is it wrong to offer the sap $10? OOPS! Too late... EDIT: heh... instant decline

While the price of that razor is very high, it is a pretty rare razor. It's a bottom dial Fatboy, which has the adjustment dial on the bottom end of the razor, instead of the usual placement of just underneath the head.

Here is another thread about it, if you want to read up on this rare razor:

This Can't Be Right

Top Bottom