What's new

What are some good Irish Beers

A friend of mine wants to keep celebrating st Patricks day. He loves beer and loves IPA's so I wanted to find him a good Irish beer.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Irish beer is pretty limited imo. When we went to Ireland I was expecting a huge line up of new beers....NOPE! We saw the same selection over and over.

Irish
Guinness
Smithwicks
Harp
Maybe Murphys or Kilkenny it you were lucky

Other
Carlsburg
Heineken
Bud

Last edited:
The one, the only, Guinness!!!

Smithwicks a close Second.

My advice if you want to keep celebrating no better way than to go drop an Irish Car Bomb!!! Doesn't get much more Irish than that. Guinness, Jameson's and Bailey's the Irish Holy Triumvirate.

I prefer the Irish stouts to anything else I've tried from there but since you mentioned IPAs I can recommend Harp Lager.

I tried Smithwicks and Guiness the other day with my friend. Both great beers. Thanks for the input. My friend said the last time he had Smithwicks was in Ireland and he loves it.

I will have to try that Irish car bomb. I also heard good things about Harp.

Guinness and [SIZE=-1]Smithwick's are easy to get, and taste good, in my opinion.

I had a Murphy's stout recently, and that was also good.
[/SIZE]

It's too bad that Heineken bought Beamish and quit selling it in the US. That was an excellent stout.

I never understood the attraction of calling something an Irish car bomb. There are bars where you'd end up out on the street if you ordered that.

From what I understand there is a bit of a boom of craftbeers in Ireland just like here in the U.S.. Hopefully some these will make it to the U.S..

As far as available brews I like Murphy's Irish Stout, which is just like Guinness but not as heavy. Also Kilkenny Irish Cream Ale is nice to.

Last edited:
Check Beer Advocate, Rate Beer, Irish Brewpubs and Microbreweries on the Internet; there are a lot of them that do not get to the USA. We will be in Cobh/Cork Ireland in April 2015 and will probably encounter some and will let you and the B & Brs know what we find and think. We are considered to have some knowledge about brewed products.

Many people are surprised that many Irish drinkers have surprisingly tame tastes and international brands are the most popular beverages. Craft beer has had a rough go at expanding options in the market. One problem Irish craft brewers face is that once Ireland gets a taste for more than Guinness and Bud that they will be immediately put in competition with all the English brewers who can easily come into the market who have both their standard ale offerings as well as their own craft beers. It will also be an available market for the rest of Europe. But in spite of all the current access to the rest of Europe's beers the most popular beer in Ireland is Bud.

Top Bottom