What's new

Gillette Tech ("Regus")

No, I noticed it too, but it didn't concern me - I suspected that was why the price was low. I had assumed that they were from the same era and that the razor would shave the same (the bars are straight and the blade gap is consistent). Is that not a safe assumption?
With that 50s plate - yes. Not with the other eras plates.

Okay, I now have a couple of shaves with the Tech under my belt, and it's clear to me that while I still need to iron out the appropriate technique, this razor could be in regular rotation. Super smooth and close with a Perma-sharp. That said, I am having some trouble getting along with the handle. It's a little too thin (and maybe just a little too short) for my tastes. I read a couple of B&B threads on good modern replacement handles, but most of those are heavier and bulkier than I think I would want. Earlier today, I looked at the Razor Emporium replica handle, which is designed to replace the handle on the Old Type. It appears slightly larger, in terms of diameter and length, than the '47-'50 Tech ball-end. Has anyone compared this handle (or I guess even an original old type handle) to the Tech ball-end? I understand that it is hollow and will be a few grams lighter than the Tech handle, but I think I would be okay with that. On the other hand, I could probably find an actual fat handle tech (or preferably just the handle) for the same or less than the replica.

Okay, I now have a couple of shaves with the Tech under my belt, and it's clear to me that while I still need to iron out the appropriate technique, this razor could be in regular rotation. Super smooth and close with a Perma-sharp. That said, I am having some trouble getting along with the handle. It's a little too thin (and maybe just a little too short) for my tastes. I read a couple of B&B threads on good modern replacement handles, but most of those are heavier and bulkier than I think I would want. Earlier today, I looked at the Razor Emporium replica handle, which is designed to replace the handle on the Old Type. It appears slightly larger, in terms of diameter and length, than the '47-'50 Tech ball-end. Has anyone compared this handle (or I guess even an original old type handle) to the Tech ball-end? I understand that it is hollow and will be a few grams lighter than the Tech handle, but I think I would be okay with that. On the other hand, I could probably find an actual fat handle tech (or preferably just the handle) for the same or less than the replica.

I have 2 of the replica handles from Razor Emporium, on in nickel and one in brass. I really like them and use them with many vintage and modern razors. As for size and weight, they are the same size and almost identical weight of the Gillette handles from the 20s. So, not much different than what you are using currently.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Even the Fat handle that often comes with a Tech feels thin to me... I tend to use Timeless Ti Crown handles... I love the look and the design works for me.... larger diameter.. and a pretty light weight. They aren't cheap, so there is that, but the matte ones often show up in their Scratch and Dent section for a few dollars off list. They weight 42.7 grams if I remember correctly.

Thanks, gents. Very helpful advice. I love the look of the Timeless Ti Crown, but I don't think I can justify spending that much on a handle for a $15 Tech. Ironically, circling back to the beginning of this thread, I'm kind of considering buying this "REGUS" just to see what a broader handle feels like. 😜

Or. if you want to make your own, you can buy a center punch from Harbor Freight or Menards,
and a 10-32 tap from a local hardware place, and make a $7 handle.

Harbor Freight handles have been discussed off-and-on on the forums. Here's one thread:

Or. if you want to make your own, you can buy a center punch from Harbor Freight or Menards,
and a 10-32 tap from a local hardware place, and make a $7 handle.

Harbor Freight handles have been discussed off-and-on on the forums. Here's one thread:
Yes! Love it

Techs for the win!!!

These days I use a standard 1950 French hollow handle for about half of my shaves - a loving simplistic and mild shave.

The last couple of days though have been even higher quality shaving with the British Rolls Royce, the Hybrid Tech 😍

IMG_0934.jpeg

Top Bottom