What's new

Good non alcoholic beer?

As far as I am concerned, the title of this thread is an oxymoron.

I wish that wasn't true, but it is.

What is worse, is that in Europe many long established brewers are reducing the alchohol content of their product to appeal to the mass market who are concerned about health, but apparently have no taste-buds. As far as I am concerned, any German or Czech Pils bottled at less than 4.8% ABV simply isn't worth drinking - the lack of alcohol significantly changes both the mouth-feel and the flavour.

Grolsch, I am looking at you!!
+1. +10 if you like. Classic oxymoron.

Yeah, mate, Grolsch. Don't even get me started. :facep:

I had to switch to NA beer when I was on some medication in the past, which led to me trying several brands. In my mouth, most of them had a weird metallic aftertaste. Even the expensive Sam Adams couldn’t completely hide that behind their added flavor. The reason I think Labatt Blue NA is the best is it has no metallic taste and tastes like real beer. I’d still drink it now for health and driving reasons even though I can drink leaded gas again.

I got ahold of some Beck’s NA today and actually found it to be passable. Now don’t get me wrong, it still doesn’t taste like beer, but it didn’t make me sick or want to throw-up.

Thanks again to all for your input and suggestions!

Cheers!

The first and lastime I had a NA beer was ‘07 on ST. Patrick’s day. While I was on the USS Regan. Some American beer in a green can, tasted watered down flavor. So good I only had 1 can.

Reactions: ike
The first and lastime I had a NA beer was ‘07 on ST. Patrick’s day. While I was on the USS Regan. Some American beer in a green can, tasted watered down flavor. So good I only had 1 can.
Glad you made sure there would be some for others. Lol!

Tried quite a few of the options available here in Australia, and by far the best is Coopers Ultra Light (aka Birell). They've been making it for a while, unlike most of the others which are much newer and aren't going for the same style of beer. I drink it regularly.

I really like Guinness NA in the nitro can. So many of the old school pils NA's suffer from "cooked hops syndrome". Sam Adams Hazy IPA on the other hand is excellent. Probably because most of the hops are added post alcohol removal. I'd like to find/try that Budvar upthread and also see more dark NA's in the marketplace.

Personally, I've been loving Clausthaler Dry-Hopped for its hoppy flavor and Athletic Brewing Co.'s Upside Dawn for its smooth citrus taste.

Top Bottom