What's new

What aggressive razor should I buy?

Everyone is different when it comes to razors but from one that has a Gillette New(I think it is called) short comb and even though it is mild there is no significant difference to it then when I use my Gillette Tech which is pretty much identical except closed comb. .

It's the Long Comb that morphed into the Tech and TTO heads.

It's the Long Comb that morphed into the Tech and TTO heads.

Could very well be but the shave is pretty much the same between the two. From my point of view an open comb is just a waste of time and money. For me it was just no change to make me want to run out and buy a modern version.

Could very well be but the shave is pretty much the same between the two. From my point of view an open comb is just a waste of time and money. For me it was just no change to make me want to run out and buy a modern version.
Good for you then :) .

OK Guys, so I took the chance and got the R41. If I had to choose one word to describe it, that would be "Amazing".

After using it on a regular basis for about 10 days I can say that even though I do not see it taking the place of my 34c HD and becoming my daily, it for sure will be used at least twice a week when I need a close WTG shave.

My initial suspicions were confirmed and in my opinion the fame of it aggressiveness is a bit hyperbolic. With the Muhle blade with which it came, I shaved about 5 times without getting a single nick or cut, the post shave feeling was great with zero irritation.

That which amazed me the most was that even though I do feel this scraping sensation during the shave, afterwards when I apply a strongly alcohol base cologne, there is no burning. Anybody got an explanation for this?

The one problem I did have was when I inserted an Astra SP blade inside. The shave once again felt great, however after washing my face with water I realized I had at least 5 or 6 small nicks and cuts. Any recommendations on what blades I should experiment with?

So my final conclusion is that the R41 is an extremely effective safety razor, serving the exact purpose that I bought it for. Very smooth, Zero irritation, Beautiful finish.

If wanting to stick with a DE try a slant such as the 37C the guillotine method as opposed to chopping makes for clean slicing even on the most challenging whiskers.

* Joseph-Ignace Guillotin, together with German engineer Tobias Schmidt, built a prototype for the guillotine. Schmidt recommended using an angled blade as opposed to a round one.

Of course the ATT Windsor, Blackland or Timeless are efficient but more expensive whereas unobtaniums like Charcoal Goods, Paradigm or Wolfman may offer an even more efficient DE shave.
Your observation matches mine, at least with regard to the Charcoal Goods and Wolfman (assuming the most aggressive options are chosen). I've never tried or even researched the Paradigm. Would appreciate any feedback offered.

OK Guys, so I took the chance and got the R41. If I had to choose one word to describe it, that would be "Amazing".

There's more you can do with a R41
- change to a heavier and more grippy handle
- change to a heavier and narrower top cap

So here's my preferred version - Yaqi matte black handle, 91x12mm and 66g. Yintal Bronze top cap, 18.8mm wide instead of 20.2mm. Total weight 99g, up from 64g.

R41+Yaqi1.jpg

Why does 1.4mm make a difference?

The width of the top cap doesn't change the blade exposure relative to the base plate. But if you "ride the cap" it changes the angle between the blade and the cap. The older R41 2011 had the narrower cap for instance, and it was more aggressive (also because of a slightly different baseplate).

The width of the top cap doesn't change the blade exposure relative to the base plate. But if you "ride the cap" it changes the angle between the blade and the cap. The older R41 2011 had the narrower cap for instance, and it was more aggressive (also because of a slightly different baseplate).
And "aggressiveness" in comparison to a 2011 R41?

The Bronze SB by Timeless and the Fendrihan Mark II both come very close to delivering one pass WTG BBS for me with just some touch up. This is with a Kai blade.

I love both but the Bronze is much prettier. The Bronze SB is on the lowest end of cost for a Timeless but I think it is their most beautiful razor. YMMV. Wait for eBay 15% and 20% off days as Timeless has a store there.

Hello All,

So I've been wet shaving for nearly 10 months now. I own a Rockwell R1, which I began with (and will create a review for, as to deter anyone from purchasing it) and a Merkur HD, which I absolutely love.
So for a few months now I've been wanting to try a more aggressive razor, as I usually do one pass WTG shaves, as my beard is very coarse and I get a lot of ingrown hairs in the neck area, when going ATG, (although it has gotten better through time).
My idea is to buy an open comb razor, much more aggressive than the HD.
From the very beginning I started considering the Muhle R41. However I am curious as to what else you guys would suggest. That which I am not too keen on regarding the R41 is the "scraping" feeling during the shave, which some BB members describe.
I was also looking at the Merkur series of razors, but as far as I understand, they do not produce a really aggressive open comb, or am I wrong? What is their most aggressive razor?
I look forward to seeing what suggestions I will receive here.

Best Regards,

Alex
Like you I have a 34 HD.
Why not consider a slant razor?
With a light touch you can get a remarkably good shave.
The Merkur 37c or the Razorock German 37 are two good candidates.

I suspect one reason you may be getting a great shave with the R41 is that you are more careful with the blade pressure and shave angle since you can feel the blade on your face. When people want to shave one pass WTG as their entire shave, it is easy to get into the practice of shaving with pressure in order to get a closer shave with that single pass. You might be better off making multiple passes with minimal pressure than a single pass with pressure.

Also, using a high quality shave soap, properly hydrated can help protect you from the blade.

I suspect one reason you may be getting a great shave with the R41 is that you are more careful with the blade pressure and shave angle since you can feel the blade on your face. When people want to shave one pass WTG as their entire shave, it is easy to get into the practice of shaving with pressure in order to get a closer shave with that single pass. You might be better off making multiple passes with minimal pressure than a single pass with pressure. Also, using a high quality shave soap, properly hydrated can help protect you from the blade.

Good post. I had a great shave today with my Fatip OC on a heavier Yaqi handle. As you say, you get used to more strokes with less pressure until it becomes a regular thing with more efficient razors with good blade feel. I used SV Felce and made a point of adding more water until it was well hydrated. Shaves get easier when your technique adapts to the equipment you're using.

Your observation matches mine, at least with regard to the Charcoal Goods and Wolfman (assuming the most aggressive options are chosen). I've never tried or even researched the Paradigm. Would appreciate any feedback offered.

As you know Paradigm is a small artisan razor company that has produced 4 razors in limited amounts of which 3 have been titanium. I've tried a couple and any titanium (from any company) I have used always seems smoother which may be a feature of the metal interacting or not interacting with facial oils - I do not know but perhaps any B&B member Dermatologist can give a better explanation. Just my experience so far.

As you know Paradigm is a small artisan razor company that has produced 4 razors in limited amounts of which 3 have been titanium. I've tried a couple and any titanium (from any company) I have used always seems smoother which may be a feature of the metal interacting or not interacting with facial oils - I do not know but perhaps any B&B member Dermatologist can give a better explanation. Just my experience so far.
Thanks for your thoughts (and your PM). I've not tried a titanium razor. Since I tend to prefer heavier razors, I've not felt drawn in that direction. But who knows. This hobby goes on forever in part because there are so many options.

I have the Muhle R41 which has become my daily razor. It's the only one I reach for now, I just love the shaves I get from it. It has the reputation of being aggressive, and I guess it is but I don't cut myself at all with it. So it's a very easy to use razor that is as aggressive as I need it to be. For the price, I highly recommend it!

If you find the R41 too efficient to shave daily I'd second the above recommendation for the Fenrihan Mark II. It is a very efficient dual comb razor that is under appreciated IMO. It's very affordable at $40 on sale and it's stainless steel and not chrome. It makes a great travel razor if you want to leave your special one at home.

Top Bottom