What's new

What aggressive razor should I buy?

Hello All,

So I've been wet shaving for nearly 10 months now. I own a Rockwell R1, which I began with (and will create a review for, as to deter anyone from purchasing it) and a Merkur HD, which I absolutely love.
So for a few months now I've been wanting to try a more aggressive razor, as I usually do one pass WTG shaves, as my beard is very coarse and I get a lot of ingrown hairs in the neck area, when going ATG, (although it has gotten better through time).
My idea is to buy an open comb razor, much more aggressive than the HD.
From the very beginning I started considering the Muhle R41. However I am curious as to what else you guys would suggest. That which I am not too keen on regarding the R41 is the "scraping" feeling during the shave, which some BB members describe.
I was also looking at the Merkur series of razors, but as far as I understand, they do not produce a really aggressive open comb, or am I wrong? What is their most aggressive razor?
I look forward to seeing what suggestions I will receive here.

Best Regards,

Alex

Have you considered opening up a new dimension to your shaving by using a SE razor? The Micromatoc Open Comb or MMOC is the King of open combs and has a huge following. Good news is that they're cheap and plentiful on auction sites. You will need some Personna PTFE blades (nothing else will do) which in the opinion of many here are the best blades you can buy. This combination won't tear your face off, but it may be the closest shave you'll ever get. The rigid blade is very smooth, with minimal irritation.

Depends on how much you want to spend as well.....

I have found that aggressive and open comb doesn't always mean more efficient but here's a few razors to consider;

Fatip (poor build, highly efficient)
Muhle Rocca R96 (great build, smooth but highly efficient)
Above The Tie H1/H2 (open/closed) (great build, more blade feel and highly efficient)
Muhle R41 - lots of blade feel, your technique and concentration needs to be high to get it finish which the above 2 can match/exceed whilst being smoother.

With regards to ingrown hairs, mine came from doing ATG passes without doing WTG passes first and it was worse when using milder razors like a Muhle R89. You will learn what you can and can't do as you become more experienced.

Rockwell models like the 6S (closed comb) come with adjustable base plates and are generally highly regarded so that is worth a look.

Parker Open Combs are rated around 6/10 on aggression and I can recommend something like a Parker 68S as an inexpensive yet efficient unit. Just be sure to buy from a reputable store with latest stock.

R41 or
Fatip Piccolo or Grande

A Rockwell 6s is efficient but still smooth at plate 6

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 4 mit Tapatalk

Depending on the blade, the number of uses, and where I'm shaving the Rockwell 6S hasn't failed me yet. Not to mention the great customer service. They have my dollar and vote of confidence. I wouldn't be surprised if they come out with an R7/8 plate in the future.

I hope you realize the “can of worms” you’ve opened by asking members their opinions on something more aggressive than what you already have. The R41 is more efficient but you gotta pay attention as others have meationed.

If you want to try something affordable and available that’s more efficient consider the Karve D plate ($90) or higher or the Razorock GameChanger 84 ($55). An under appreciated gem is the Fendrihan MKII ($45). Check out the online reviews. Of course the ATT Windsor, Blackland or Timeless are efficient but more expensive whereas unobtaniums like Charcoal Goods, Paradigm or Wolfman may offer an even more efficient DE shave.

Best of luck AJ

I found the R41 gives me THE closest single pass shave of any I have tried. I have to use a steeper angle and go slow. I have found it to be very smooth with Astra SP and Feather blades. The Fatip OC shaves almost as close. I like them both. I can use the Fatip daily. Can't use the R41 daily. I typically do 1 pass wtg, 2nd pass across then select areas atg.

Thank you all for the constructive ideas, I have begun to understand what I have provoked, but I do find the suggestions quite interesting, as I have not even heard of most of the products suggested.
The thing is that I am located in Bulgaria, so obtaining most of the above mentioned razors is quite difficult, not impossible, but usually with a very high delivery fee. This is why I am trying to orient myself towards one of the proven classics like Merkur or Muhle.
Another factor is that after experimenting with the Rockwell R1, I am quite reluctant to try any brand which is not traditionally established in the market with a proven consistency in quality.
I love the Fatip's immaculate design, however I am worried about their consistency in the build quality.
As for Parker's, I have heard the same problem's
A friend suggested that I get a Merkur slant as a good compromise, however I have zero experience with slant razors and am not sure how they perform compared to open combs, as well as if they are suitable for suck a thick coarse beard like mine.

Thanks to everyone that has put in the effort to help out

I may sound like a broken record from previous posts, but Gillette Adjustable all the way! They're not terribly expensive. Levels 7-9 are surprisingly aggressive. The black beauty model is said the be the most aggressive of them all. The Fatboy is the best build quality.

I think some DE shavers tend to overlook or ignore vintage razors. Maybe they think they'll be damaged, but this is rarely the case. Many can be had for very cheap if you know how to shop around on ebay.

The adjustable can also be used later for less aggression if your shaving needs change. I think it's a no-brainer because modern razors are very expensive for what they are.

I am also prone to bumps on my neck and I have tried several different de razors and the Timeless Ti 95 is far and away the best I have ever used. It hold the blade very ridged and for me that makes all the difference. I do not have the OC but the ones that do say they are very smooth. The GC 84 and the Karve D and E are very good razors also. I hope this helps in some way.
Happy shaves
SMURF

You have some great suggestions above!

To me an adjustable looks like it would be just the ticket given where you are in your journey. My vote would be a Slim! :a14::a14:

The thing is that I am located in Bulgaria, so obtaining most of the above mentioned razors is quite difficult, not impossible, but usually with a very high delivery fee. This is why I am trying to orient myself towards one of the proven classics like Merkur or Muhle.
Stick with the 34C but 1 pass is not going to get a close shave. Try a second WTG pass or preferably, do XTG for the second pass. Try a few different blades too.

Another factor is that after experimenting with the Rockwell R1, I am quite reluctant to try any brand which is not traditionally established in the market with a proven consistency in quality.
I love the Fatip's immaculate design, however I am worried about their consistency in the build quality.
As for Parker's, I have heard the same problem's
A friend suggested that I get a Merkur slant as a good compromise, however I have zero experience with slant razors and am not sure how they perform compared to open combs, as well as if they are suitable for suck a thick coarse beard like mine.

Thanks to everyone that has put in the effort to help out

I would say treat yourself to a Muhle Rocaa R96.

All stainless steel finish, premium quality and build. Its a smooth shaver but can match the finished shaving results of the R41.

While I've never owned and adjustable, the suggestion of an adjustable might allow you to learn if you really need aggression. I remember last year hearing the Red Tip Gillette was aggressive. Once I got one and then another I realized they were no more "aggressive" than the 1940's Super Speeds. This is a path everyone must walk individually I suspect. You'll not get the answer from someone else.

Also, be cautioned that many here will repeat what they've read and a razor will become part of a self fulfilling prophesy. IOW, if you think a razor is aggressive, it is.

Everyone is different when it comes to razors but from one that has a Gillette New(I think it is called) short comb and even though it is mild there is no significant difference to it then when I use my Gillette Tech which is pretty much identical except closed comb. Maybe a more aggressive razor in an open comb might be better, I don't know. I much prefer my Gillette Slim over any razor I have. I usually run it on #5 and the other day I had to crank it to #9, after the first pass I did turn it down. If I were doing a one pass shave that would be it. I have a Fatboy also and even though it provides a great shave it just seems a little different than the Slim and prefer the Slim over it. I also have a 34C, it was my first razor in the DE world and gave me the best shave on day 1 but don't use it much. Just got done with a 2 week trial again with the 34C and after 3 different blades and my go to Gillette Permasharp, which I didn't think worked in it, actually gave me a nice shave. Had to put it back on the shelf the last shave and back to my Slim.

So my suggestion would be is to forget about open comb razors and stick with what works. If you need another razor I would suggest a Slim.

Top Bottom