What's new

Wet shaving....with an electric razor

Electrics, historically, have irritated my skin. I have not tried one in decades. Recently, I have had to do more flying, often for short trips with only a carry on bag. TSA will not let me bring a DE razor with a blade. I thought it might be worth trying a decent, modern electric, particularly if I could use it with soap or foam if I still found dry shaving irritating. It would be limited to travel and occasional “emergency@ office use. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm tempted to try wet shaving with my Braun 9 series. However by the time I wet my face with hot water, get the lather going amd apply it to my face, i can get a closer and faster shave with a Mach 3 turbo so what's the point?

I'm tempted to try wet shaving with my Braun 9 series. However by the time I wet my face with hot water, get the lather going amd apply it to my face, i can get a closer and faster shave with a Mach 3 turbo so what's the point?

And, now you know the reason for electric shavers, speed and convenience. The basic design of both the screen and rotary shaver hasn’t changed much since the end of the Second World War. Other than reliable rechargeable batteries ever

And, now you know the reason for electric shavers, speed and convenience. The basic design of both the screen and rotary shaver hasn’t changed much since the end of the Second World War. Other than reliable rechargeable batteries every other improvement have been to the screens and cutters to give a closer and more comfortable shave. Rechargeable batteries have increased the speed of the shaver. Things such as cleaning stations, flexible heads and automatic speed sensing are features that were designed to get the consumer to replace their current shaver sooner. Before there were rechargeable shavers, all of my previous AC shavers lasted at least 10 years with only an annual replacement of the screen and cutters.

Obviously, a wet shave with a blade will result in a closer shave than an electric. However, the downside is the preparation time, cleanup time and possibility of cutting yourself. If you require eliminating the five o’clock shadow to go out in the evening, then just shave a second time. The time spent shaving twice dry with an electric shaver will take less total time than one wet shave in the morning.

Ahhh, but for me, the irritation shaving twice dry with an electric shaver would require a week for my skin to heal.

The bottom line is that using an electric shaver might not be for you. I rarely need to be perfectly clean shaved in the evening as well as during the day. If you need to do that often it might be better to shave wet with a blade in the morning and not have to shave again.

This would be the opportunity to try a wet shave if you are not working. It takes more time to wash your face, lather your face and then shave. Afterwards you have to rinse your face and clean the shaver, the sink area and then leave the head off the shaver to dry. I think doing it in the shower might save some time. Other than not butchering your face with a razor blade, there’s not much advantage to wet shaving with an electric shaver.

I’m doing an experiment with my nearly one year old Braun 7 series shaver. I’m going old school by shaving dry and not using any lubrication on the screen/cutter cassette. This is how I shaved using my first Ronson screen shaver in the early 1970s. This is per the instruction manual that came with the shaver. Some members here have remarked that without lubrication nor having a cleaning station the cassette would wear faster than the recommended 18 months. So far every dry shave has been excellent without rinsing nor using lubrication on the shaver head.

I shave exclusively wet with an electric (except when trying to get out of the door in two minutes), with all my DE software. A closer and more comfortable shave than dry or with a pre-electric - for me. I can shave dry if needed, or with a quick splash of Williams - something I could never do with a DE. Advantage electric.

I shave exclusively wet with an electric (except when trying to get out of the door in two minutes), with all my DE software. A closer and more comfortable shave than dry or with a pre-electric - for me. I can shave dry if needed, or with a quick splash of Williams - something I could never do with a DE. Advantage electric.

Whatever works best is terrific for you. What innovations will the electric shaver manufacturer’s engineers develop to get us to buy a new shaver? Rechargeable batteries, done, waterproofing, done, articulating heads, done, automatic power control, done and cleaning stations, done. What innovations would anyone on this forum like to see in future electric shavers?

Whatever works best is terrific for you. What innovations will the electric shaver manufacturer’s engineers develop to get us to buy a new shaver? Rechargeable batteries, done, waterproofing, done, articulating heads, done, automatic power control, done and cleaning stations, done. What innovations would anyone on this forum like to see in future electric shavers?

A Buck Rogers wish something along the lines of DE shavers' dreams - something to replace a naked blade for cutting: laser, sonic, plasma? Solar powered? Nuclear? Who knows? A couple of centuries ago, a commercial air liner would have been unimaginable to anyone. And my great, great grandfather lived then. It's hard to imagine an unknown technology without some frame of reference, so I mention existing candidates, but frankly, the distant future of shaving is unreadably murky. Perhaps we'll take a pill, or use a cream, or selectively grow - or not - facial hair, and "shaving" might be quaintly nostalgic. Or some might say, we'll be shaving in a stream with a sharp piece of obsidian, depending.... :biggrin1:

Last edited:
Same here. For me, making shavers simply more "gentle" or comfortable while delivering a close shave is huge. I think we're there now; my new Braun Series 6 is extremely comfortable and capable of delivering a glassy smooth shave every time. But to do that, I have to use it wet and spend some time shaving, like I do with the traditional blade. So, it does not save time at all, but the comfort is amazing... for my skin at least. If I need to shave in 2 minutes, I'll use a can of Proraso and shave with Trac II. That's the closest shave I can get super fast.

Same here. For me, making shavers simply more "gentle" or comfortable while delivering a close shave is huge. I think we're there now; my new Braun Series 6 is extremely comfortable and capable of delivering a glassy smooth shave every time. But to do that, I have to use it wet and spend some time shaving, like I do with the traditional blade. So, it does not save time at all, but the comfort is amazing... for my skin at least. If I need to shave in 2 minutes, I'll use a can of Proraso and shave with Trac II. That's the closest shave I can get super fast.

Everyone’s face and beard are different. I get a very close have with my Braun 7893s shaver dry. Right now time is not precious as I’m furloughed due to the Covid-19 virus. Hopefully, I will be back at work soon rather than later when time in the morning is more valuable.

they are for those who settle for a sub-par shave. And you know it.

Hmm... And what is your preferred shaving implement? I'd like to take some time on the corresponding section to explain that since whatever everyone in that section is using isn't an electric, and that Electrics work best for me for a number of reasons, that their preferred implement is 'subpar' solely due to my negative experience with it :)

I guess even social distancing can't kill elitism. I am a member of a drumming forum and whenever I mention how members speak to each other over here it's universally considered humourous and childish.

Fact is, I wish I could use a DE. It's elegant, it's fun, it's got a cool factor, but I'm sorry I'm not spending 20+ mins every day to have glass smooth skin... Full of ingrowns and bumps. And don't say it's technique or equipment, I stuck with it for years trying over 30 different razors, even more blades, and even more creams and soaps with different angles, preps, etc. I'm aware of my grain map, I'm aware of how to shave... Just doesn't work for me. Electrics get me 99% of the way to a BBS shave with a 99% reduction in irritation and I can do that in 5 minutes or less.

Subpar? Maybe. Ignorant bliss? Likely. A light at the end of a long, dark, frustrating, embarrassing tunnel? Absolutely. If Electrics aren't for you, great, fortunately we have a wonderful forum full of threads about whatever you like to scrape across your face and I kindly invite you to share your experiences with the like minded folks over there.

On that note, I've got to get ready for work and my Braun series 3 is about to take my 24hr growth down to an irritation free glass smooth finish in less time then it takes you to properly hydrate your whiskers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom