What's new

Electric razor recommendations

I'm looking for a decent electric razor to use between DE shaves. As much as I'd like to shave daily with DE blades, I always end up with irritation, even with two day stubble. So I keep the stubble under control with an electric razor.

I tried a few foils last year (Braun and maybe a Remington) and wasn't really a fan of them. I've been using a Norelco, probably the last non-rechargable model they produced. Lately though I've been getting small sores/bumps which I think I can blame on my current razor, even with new 3rd party replacement blades. I'm looking to treat my face/neck with a little more respect than this razor is giving it.

How's that Norelco one blade razor? Think that'll help, or are there other razors out there that you'd suggest?

@lordalexander74 If you mean the Philips OneBlade, then it's decent, best with a bit of a gel or plain soap for me. Not as close as a naked blade, but then neither are foil or rotary shavers.

Out of curiosity, wouldn't a single pass across the grain get you a similar level of closeness as an electric, in similar time, while avoiding irritation?

An electric razor will give you bumps and ingrown hairs. I tried them. Not a good idea. A mild DE razor (Henson +) with a good blade will keep you irritation free. Don't use any pressure. Also, I don't know what soap you use but that can make a huge difference in whether you get irritation or not.

Let us know what soap you use and we can help you.

You can also get less irritation with a traditional straight razor (not a shavette). As counter intuitive as it seems, this is actually one of the best ways to shave. And...don't be scared. In all of the shaves I've done, I've had exactly 4 tiny mild weepers and one tiny cut that didn't bleed. All those were early on.

Just a note here to mention it is always YMMV and everyone is different. I get bumps and irritation with DE and single edge shaving. I shaved DE and SE for 13 years (tried everything under the sun). Electric shaving saved my face (after a month of my face adjusting). I love electric shaving. Aces!

I used a Braun 8000 series before switching to DE wet shaving. I would recommend it for someone who wants to use an electric razor, BUT it did give me ingrown hairs...

The last Philips Model 1100 corded rotary shaver (not to be confused with their Bodygroom 1100) was discontinued at least 3 years ago, and they no longer make a corded model (along with most other electric razor manufacturers). A lot has changed in 3 years in electric razors, mostly for the better, with the most significant changes, as far as shaving results, in head design. The new rechargeable rotary models provide an excellent shave (as far as electric razors go), and Philips is the lead rotary manufacturer. One of their new 2000/3000 series models might be what you're looking for if all you want is an occasional touch-up - inexpensive, effective, wet/dry (depending on the model). I routinely use an electric razor to touch up a DE shave, or as a stand-alone, and I actually prefer a rotary.

An electric razor - any electric razor - will not provide as close a shave as a blade. Because physics. But they can be as comfortable, usually much quicker, and more flexible, particularly when traveling, than a blade razor (try shaving dry with that Timeless and a Feather blade). And, for me, any electric razor shaves close enough for any occasion where I show my face, from the beach to the opera to the operating room. BBS is for aficionados without any real practical need in the real world. And the closer you get to BBS, the greater your chance of ingrowns and irritation. Because physics (and anatomy). So a rotary is generally even less prone to creating ingrown hairs than a foil, because generally they don't shave as close. Which sometimes is a good thing.

With all of the above, the Philips OneBlade is closer in operation to an electric trimmer rather than a conventional razor - it clips hair with a horizontal reciprocating blade with a double edge, and shaves less close than even a conventional electric shaver, foil or rotary, just above the skin surface. I sometimes use one when I really don't need a close shave, or need to recover from minor razor burn (blade or electric) to let my face heal. You'll get that "Hollywood" rugged look, very socially acceptable if you otherwise look like Brad Pitt. Very equivalent to a light (very light) first pass with a blade. So lots of choices these days, and an electric razor is something I actually recommend in anyone's bathroom toolkit, if for nothing except the occasional touch-up to your blade shave. Unless, of course, you get (and want) a uniform BBS finish every single shave, on every single part of your face, every nook and crannie, all the time. Without any nicks, cuts or irritation. Ever. Then you are blessed. And more skillful than me.

When I used electrics over 20 years ago the major brands were Norelco, Braun, Remington, and Panasonic. I think they still are and all make decent enough models. I just find wet shaving far superior because it delivers a closer and more comfortable shave than any electric could.
I agree. As a young man, electric shaving was safe, 'close enough' and convenient. But I've always had dry skin. As I've aged, it's drier still. Electrics for me made it worse. So now more focus for me on skin care & DE shaving being more exfoliating seems to keep my skin in better shape

A lot of men on this forum compare electric shavers to BBS, (Barbershop Shaves). When was the last time anyone had a barbershop shave? My barber told me that the state of Texas banned razor shaves when the Covid-19 epidemic began and hasn’t resumed allowing barbers in the state to do them. My last one was in 1968. I think comparing an electric shaver shave to a barbershop shave is ridiculous. Does anyone remember what a real barbershop shave was like? Trying to compare electric shavers with home blade shaving is also ridiculous. Shaving with a razor scrapes off the hairs at the skin level. That’s why cutting yourself is a common problem. An electric shaver is more like a pair of scissors that is designed to cut close to the skin. We can obviously compare one type or brand from another, but compared to a true barbershop shave, it’s impossible. We should stop comparing electric shaving to the memory of a barbershop shave from long ago.

For the record, BBS = "Baby-Butt Smooth" in the standard wet shaving lexicon. Which may be achieved by a barber with a straight razor, but in context generally refers to what an individual can achieve with a multi-pass blade shave in front of their own shaving mirror. So a fair comparison related to face-feel comparing a post-electric shave versus a post-blade shave, of any variety.

For the record, BBS = "Baby-Butt Smooth" in the standard wet shaving lexicon. Which may be achieved by a barber with a straight razor, but in context generally refers to what an individual can achieve with a multi-pass blade shave in front of their own shaving mirror. So a fair comparison related to face-feel comparing a post-electric shave versus a post-blade shave, of any variety.
Sorry, ”Baby butt Shave” instead of barbershop shave. My mistake.

All barbers here still do shaves. I will only allow them to shave my neck. I enjoy shaving too much.
If you never had a shave from a barber, you should try it sometime. They will begin by wrapping your face with a hot towel. Then they will put shaving cream that is also warm. Then they shave you close enough with a straight razor that you won’t have to shave again for a couple of days. Its a very relaxing and pampered experience.

A lot of places here in Florida offer shaves. Sadly they are close to awful. I miss my guilty pleasure of going to a barbershop for a shave back in the late 60s- early 70s.

Attachments

• C409A4FB-43F1-4300-9066-83E94217E9B3_4_5005_c.jpeg
    C409A4FB-43F1-4300-9066-83E94217E9B3_4_5005_c.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 718CD638-E91A-40BB-B229-C01C311436B3_4_5005_c.jpeg
    718CD638-E91A-40BB-B229-C01C311436B3_4_5005_c.jpeg
    18.7 KB · Views: 6
As others have said YMMV. But for my pennies worth you should consider a few things.

Foil or rotary
Cost- out lay onto something that doesn't work for you
Prep
Wet and dry or wet or dry

As a fan boy of SE shaving and a relaxing sunday morning shave with my fave brushes, soap or cream, pre and post pre and then the aftershave and colognes, I found that starting at the cheaper end of foils has worked for me. A cheap Kemei 2024 for work and a Braun MB60 (both battery) have worked out great on cheeks and side burn area. I've since traded up to the absolutely fantastic Panasonic ES RS10. If I do use the electric at home I've found that the same prep routine I use for SE shaving works best for me but with a few small changes. Still a good wash with warm / hot water, a gentle scrub with a beard brush to lift the hair, apply pre shave crean like 3P etc allow this a few moments on the skin and then apply a watery lather (shaver has to be wet compatible), gentle strokes with and against the growth and GENTLE pressure. Wipe of soap and suds, apply balm or moisturizer and then finish with normal routine. While at work I just wash my face pat dry and whiz the foil over for a few seconds and apply a little hand moisturizer. Both give my a decent enough shave. Also remember an electric will never shave as close as a bladed razor, but it will give you a DFS.

Total out lay has been, no more than £65 thats around $81.

I have used Philips, Remington rotary, and the Panasonic Arc5 ES lv65 foil shavers. The Panasonic was purchased a year ago, because of all the the favorable reviews, especially by Ovidiu Nicolae on the shavecheck website blog. Unfortunately for my beard this was a big mistake as it gave me a very poor and inefficient shave in terms of missing stubble and
closeness. -Hence, I sold it on.

I've recently purchased both the Philips 206 and Remington r95 travel shavers primarily as body shavers for chest and back which work great. In particular the Remington r95 gives me, perhaps the best closest facial shave of any electric shaver. Amazing value for money.

For cleaning heads and cutters I find a cheap domestic ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon/ebay restores and maintains the cutting efficiency and sharpness of my rotary heads and cutters. and IMO better than any dedicated cleaning unit. -A must have, not only for cleaning electric shaver heads but also prolonging the life of expensive cartridge razor heads/refills

Last edited:
Apologies, I forgot about this topic until someone tagged me (I keep B&B notifications set to a bare minimum).
Anyways, I'm at the point where I can wet/DE shave daily with little to no irritation. Though there are times where I just don't have time for wet shaving, it does take me a while. I've gotten "good enough" shaves with that old Norelco, I'll keep using it for now.
It's getting late, I'll look into razors people suggested later this week.
Thank you

The last Philips Model 1100 corded rotary shaver (not to be confused with their Bodygroom 1100) was discontinued at least 3 years ago, and they no longer make a corded model (along with most other electric razor manufacturers). A lot has changed in 3 years in electric razors, mostly for the better, with the most significant changes, as far as shaving results, in head design. The new rechargeable rotary models provide an excellent shave (as far as electric razors go), and Philips is the lead rotary manufacturer. One of their new 2000/3000 series models might be what you're looking for if all you want is an occasional touch-up - inexpensive, effective, wet/dry (depending on the model). I routinely use an electric razor to touch up a DE shave, or as a stand-alone, and I actually prefer a rotary.

An electric razor - any electric razor - will not provide as close a shave as a blade. Because physics. But they can be as comfortable, usually much quicker, and more flexible, particularly when traveling, than a blade razor (try shaving dry with that Timeless and a Feather blade). And, for me, any electric razor shaves close enough for any occasion where I show my face, from the beach to the opera to the operating room. BBS is for aficionados without any real practical need in the real world. And the closer you get to BBS, the greater your chance of ingrowns and irritation. Because physics (and anatomy). So a rotary is generally even less prone to creating ingrown hairs than a foil, because generally they don't shave as close. Which sometimes is a good thing.

With all of the above, the Philips OneBlade is closer in operation to an electric trimmer rather than a conventional razor - it clips hair with a horizontal reciprocating blade with a double edge, and shaves less close than even a conventional electric shaver, foil or rotary, just above the skin surface. I sometimes use one when I really don't need a close shave, or need to recover from minor razor burn (blade or electric) to let my face heal. You'll get that "Hollywood" rugged look, very socially acceptable if you otherwise look like Brad Pitt. Very equivalent to a light (very light) first pass with a blade. So lots of choices these days, and an electric razor is something I actually recommend in anyone's bathroom toolkit, if for nothing except the occasional touch-up to your blade shave. Unless, of course, you get (and want) a uniform BBS finish every single shave, on every single part of your face, every nook and crannie, all the time. Without any nicks, cuts or irritation. Ever. Then you are blessed. And more skillful than me.
I own a Philips One Blade which I dub a "caregiver razor". Ideal to use on an elderly or non-compliant patient, as it is fast. The beauty part is that it can even mow down a month's growth of beard. I used it mainly during an extended under the weather period. Very little post-shave irritation.

Top Bottom