What's new

Went and Had a Hearing Test

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
There are lots of scams out there. I know they’ve past legislation to make hearing aids more attainable, but my suspicious nature feels there will be even more scams out there.

The best way to avoid scams is knowledge. Talk to friends, family and acquaintances.
The site hearingtracker.com has a lot of information. It’s free membership. Other users add info, experiences. You can add your test results (if you want to) and other members can help with choices. Brands, models, what are the differences of the different models. How they can be tuned.
When you go to an audiologist ask questions. Every single question you have. None are dumb. Let them know what your expectations are.
My audiologist works with an ENT (ear, nose and throat MD). I was given a hearing test. The results were printed out and shown to me and explained.
Options were talked about- in styles, Over the ear, In the ear, long term, Waterproof, tuning to fit your life style.
Ask if over the counter units can help. If all you need is across the board amplification they are good.
The analogy for hearing I use is the moon. I used to hear a “crescent moon.” Now, with my hearing aids I hear a “full moon.” Amazing what you didn’t hear.
Also remember, no two people hear the same. Every person’s hearing is different.

There are lots of scams out there. I know they’ve past legislation to make hearing aids more attainable, but my suspicious nature feels there will be even more scams out there.

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
The best way to avoid scams is knowledge. Talk to friends, family and acquaintances.
The site hearingtracker.com has a lot of information. It’s free membership. Other users add info, experiences. You can add your test results (if you want to) and other members can help with choices. Brands, models, what are the differences of the different models. How they can be tuned.
When you go to an audiologist ask questions. Every single question you have. None are dumb. Let them know what your expectations are.
My audiologist works with an ENT (ear, nose and throat MD). I was given a hearing test. The results were printed out and shown to me and explained.
Options were talked about- in styles, Over the ear, In the ear, long term, Waterproof, tuning to fit your life style.
Ask if over the counter units can help. If all you need is across the board amplification they are good.
The analogy for hearing I use is the moon. I used to hear a “crescent moon.” Now, with my hearing aids I hear a “full moon.” Amazing what you didn’t hear.
Also remember, no two people hear the same. Every person’s hearing is different.
Thank you. That sounds like good advice.

Goatrope

Eccentric and destitute of reason
Veterans with even a VA zero rated service connected hearing loss can get their testing and hearing aids free through the VA health care system. Mine cost me nothing out of pocket; they retail for $5000 a pair. Expensive yes, but I can actually hold conversations in noisy places and understand what people are saying instead of guessing or reading lips.
This is good news.

Does this mean that even if my hearing impairment isn't necessarily service related (I never saw combat) that VA will still pay for it?

I have tinnitus that basically drowns out higher frequency sounds.

Last edited:
This is good news.

Does this mean that even if my hearing impairment isn't necessarily service related (I never saw combat) that VA will still pay for it?

I have tinnitus that basically drowns out higher frequency sounds.
Talk to your VA doc or local VFW rep about what benefits you’re eligible for based on your rating. Good luck.

Top Bottom