What's new

Went and Had a Hearing Test

Today I went and had a hearing test. After years of “ what did you say?” and the other things. Tintinitus, tv at level 9.
The results show from lowest tones to a little over 2,00 hertz I have above “average” hearing. Above that I have severe to profound hearing loss.
The biggest deficit is in human speech. I have trouble with consonants.
I guess it was all in my head. It is real.
All we ask for is possibilities. With aids I can hear! Yay!

The wife and I went to Costo the other day. She pointed to the counter that had the Hearing Aides and told me I will have to get some in the future. I had a walk over and see they sure make them tiny nowadays. Except for the price! And the wife said That is the new lower price as they used to cost a lot more.

Not looking forward to having to shell out that kinda coin, but
I guess I will someday soon. I'm just hoping by then they will make them Bluetooth so I can pipe my music right to them.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The wife and I went to Costo the other day. She pointed to the counter that had the Hearing Aides and told me I will have to get some in the future. I had a walk over and see they sure make them tiny nowadays. Except for the price! And the wife said That is the new lower price as they used to cost a lot more.

Not looking forward to having to shell out that kinda coin, but
I guess I will someday soon. I'm just hoping by then they will make them Bluetooth so I can pipe my music right to them.
I THINK they are already Bluetooth enabled, phone, TV, etc..... The ones I have are, but they are older. And could be MUCH better technologically speaking. They are programmed to me, but I read somewhere that a company has something like 20 million different sounds programmed into their aides. Like the difference between a dachshund and a Great Dane! Or a blue jay and a robin.... AI maybe? Over my pay grade!

I just got a free hearing exam and sent it to an audiologist on the 'Bay and for I think? $300 he sent me back a pair of hearing aids. I've had them almost 2 years.... It's time to probably not be cheap and buy some good ones. But yeah, I can think of lots of stuff I'd rather drop thousands of dollars on besides hearing aids! A convertible would be one!

Well, that's great news. I'd hate to not be able to hear my music. Now I don't feel so bad about them. And the ones I seen at Costco were over a grand easy. I got a convertible. But I could use a second one! LOL.

1963 Corvair.

IMG_20220702_150357085_HDR.jpg

Veterans with even a VA zero rated service connected hearing loss can get their testing and hearing aids free through the VA health care system. Mine cost me nothing out of pocket; they retail for $5000 a pair. Expensive yes, but I can actually hold conversations in noisy places and understand what people are saying instead of guessing or reading lips.

They take a little while to get used to. The good ones are expensive, luckily my insurance pays 80%. I found wear them every day from when your up the am until you go to bed. If needed turn them down a little at the beginning. the secret is finding a good audiologist to program the aids. The most expensive one that are not set up properly will end up in the drawer. Other than the beginning and the cost there is no down side unless you don't want to hear the birds, gentle wind or children playing. And oh, keeping your TV so loud it will scare anybody away for your house.....

I love not asking people 100 times a days to repeat themselves and not having to read people lips anymore. Mine are small enough that I forget they are even being worn most days.

I have been reading all over trying to narrow the field of aids. Talk about “ your mileage my vary.” No one’s hearing is the same.
I found the site hearingtracker.com. Seems to have helped a lot.

If you please, I am interested in your experiences of getting your new aids. Goods,bads, all. Expectations, reactions.
Not much.😏
Did you test them first?

Top Bottom