What's new

WELL, YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT

This….+ the quest to find “the one” or the “Goldilocks” razor is 100% the best explanation for RAD I’ve yet to read here. There is always greener grass, or the next razor…Yep, “blade to skin” is the only way to figure it out.
“I'm not a novice to DE Wet Shaving, but I'm beginning to understand the relationship between 'aggression' and "Efficiency". They are inexorably linked together. The problem is, there's no road maps telling you when you've gone too far. Blade to skin is the only way you'll know for sure. JMHO, YMMV.”

I'm extremely happy to report that I have received my GC .68 razor and .84 plate this morning. Excited to try it, I had a hot shower, built a lather with B&M Bay Rum, popped a Treet Platinum into the .84 plate and had at 'er.

Finding the angle was so easy and it resulted in a DFS in two passes despite 7 days worth of growth. I did a third pass for cleanup. I did get a true nick when I accidentally tapped my chin with the blade after a clean up pass on my neck. I did get one small weeper on my jawline, but other than that, it was a smooth, clean and irritation free shave. I'm quite impressed so say the least. I can only hope that it gets better with more practice.

I'll have to try the .68 plate after a few days worth of growth and see how it does. One happy shaver here, that's for sure!

@nlife ...I'm glad you're enjoying your new RR GC razors. I'm on day 20 of my self-imposed month of exclusive use of the GC 84-P. So far, 20 days of CCS.

For my skin and beard, I can use the GC 68-P as a daily driver. It's almost a 'mindless' shave. Not quite as "Efficient" as the GC 84-P, but still a DFS. I find the GC 84-P a better tool for multiple days of growth. But, I can also use it as a 'daily driver'. Everyone is different.

b/r

ON_1

@Old Navy_1 I suspect that we share very similar characteristics with skin and beard. That said, I tend to skip a day or so in between shaves since I have sensitive skin and my beard grows slow. I seem to get a better shave like this as well.

I'm thinking the .68 will be a great "daily" driver for me, and save the .84 for the days where I go longer without a shave. Longest I've gone so far is 15 days when I was working out of town. Wife seen the grey and made the comment that I looked "really old" with it, so I've been pretty clean shaven ever since.

I look a lot younger when I am clean shaven, easy ten years off, if not more. I have stayed out of the sun apart from a bit as a kid, and mostly taken care of myself, so don't have a lot of wrinkles.

As I say to my nephew when he razzes me for being an old man: At least I have made it this far. Get back to me when you have.

Never has an answer to that. 😄

I'm 68 and I always say to the youngsters, "I've lived this long because I'm hard to kill." There were people actually paid to kill me. They weren't paid much, an extra bowl of rice, a fish head and a weekend pass to Hanoi. But still, they got paid. LOL!

ON_1

As a newb, GC68SB seemed scary the first few shaves but quickly became too inefficient for me as I improved. The 84 then seemed just a touch scary, but so much more efficient, until it just wasn’t. I wanted more, but kept using the 84SB. I’ve now gotten to the point that I can nail BBS with minimal touch up with and 84, so due to improvements in technique I no longer consider the 84 too inefficient. I keep the 68 for the rare late evening touch up, sunburned or irritated skin shave, and being in my late 50’s I know I’ll eventually start moving down in aggression instead of up. I’m no expert, and the RR GC’s are the only modern razors I own, but I’m of the opinion that if a guy was brand new and ordered a GC with both SB plates you likely wouldn’t NEED another razor for the rest of your life- and neither would the next few generations after you. Or, you could buy a slim, old type, Red Tip or New LC. I would be OK if any of those were my only razor as well. The added benefit of a new RR is all stainless steel construction to exact tolerances. These razors would be a good buy at 3x their cost, IMO. I’m a huge Razorock/GC fan.

@Razrnewb ...as usual, I'm going 'Against the Grain (pun intended)'. I'm 68 and I'm going to more "Aggressive" razors. I just purchased a RR "Lupo .95 SB", it is the most "Aggressive" razor I've ever owned. I'm learning to 'tame' the beast.

I also own a GC 84-P and the GC 68-P. I really enjoy all three, but the "Efficiency" nod goes to the GC 84-P and the Lupo .95. They are the best razors, for the price, I've ever owned.

b/r

ON_1

The added benefit of a new RR is all stainless steel
Not just stainless, but 316L stainless, which is about as durable as commonly available metals get, though titanium might have better corrosion resistance (at increased cost). But for all practical purposes 316L is as good, especially if you take care of it.

@Bobovata ...316L stainless steel is a 'premium grade' material. I'm very familiar with the 316L from my 30 years in Aerospace. Its also used for medical instruments, Marine environments and processes that use corrosive chemicals in the manufacture of industrial products.

A razor company, I can't remember it's name, nor would I use it in an open forum, manufactures a relatively expensive razor >$200, made by CNC machine and using 304 stainless steel. 304 stainless is a fine material, but IMO, not quite as good as 316L in a wet environment.

Now, here's the part that makes me laugh. The manufacturer feels it necessary to Chrome Plate the razor. It should be intuitively obvious, to even the most casual of observers, if you 'need' to Chrome Plate your stainless steel, it may not be the proper material for use in the environment a DE razor is subjected to.

Of course, this is just my opinion. YMMV.

b/r

ON_1

Have you any experience GC OC vs new Lupo 95 OC ? That was a thought, too, that if the 95 OC ends up being too much I could sell the entire razor and just pick up a new 84oc plate as I already have the GC top cap. I like a Gillette Old and a Gillette New LC, but those are the only two OC I’ve tried. For the price WITH the handle as opposed to just the base and top cap it really doesn’t make any sense to not get the entire new razor with Italian Barber pricing. Whatever my next step for a higher aggression SS Razorock, that’s when I’m done with RAD.

As a newb, GC68SB seemed scary the first few shaves but quickly became too inefficient for me as I improved. The 84 then seemed just a touch scary, but so much more efficient, until it just wasn’t. I wanted more, but kept using the 84SB. I’ve now gotten to the point that I can nail BBS with minimal touch up with and 84, so due to improvements in technique I no longer consider the 84 too inefficient. I keep the 68 for the rare late evening touch up, sunburned or irritated skin shave, and being in my late 50’s I know I’ll eventually start moving down in aggression instead of up. I’m no expert, and the RR GC’s are the only modern razors I own, but I’m of the opinion that if a guy was brand new and ordered a GC with both SB plates you likely wouldn’t NEED another razor for the rest of your life- and neither would the next few generations after you. Or, you could buy a slim, old type, Red Tip or New LC. I would be OK if any of those were my only razor as well. The added benefit of a new RR is all stainless steel construction to exact tolerances. These razors would be a good buy at 3x their cost, IMO. I’m a huge Razorock/GC fan.

I started with a Wilkinson Sword from walmart, then moved to the Henson AL13 mild. I kept thinking the mild would be easier on my skin and cause less razor burn etc. Turns out the extra passes were causing more of a problem than anything. Then I decided to go with the GC .68 and .84 with the assumption that the .68 would be the daily driver and the .84 would be used for multiple days of growth.

Turns out I was wrong again. The .84 just seems to agree with my face and the .68 requires too many passes to get the job done. I kept saying "wow" when I first tried the .84. Seems to work well with both Treet Platinum and Voskhod blades to boot. I have a bunch more that I need to try, but I'm loving the GC so far.

@CoreyWoodmancy ...I happen to know Italian Barber has the GC 84-P in-stock.
200.gif

I've been waiting for a chance to use this meme. LOL!

b/r

ON_1

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker ...I love it!

The only defense I have, is I've been down so many 'rabbit holes', high-end watches, Photography, firearms, hand forged knives and period correct Viking Axes, etc. I'm pretty familiar with "Acquisition Disorder (AD)". I've invented ways to waste money 💰.

If, I went out and acquired every type of every modern CNC machined razor and every variation of handle to go with it, I'd still be money ahead. LMAO!

I really did love that montague. Very clever.

b/r

ON_1
Rabbit holes do get pricey. I eventually stopped on “my” watch I’ve worn since 2004, a few firearms for each sporting purpose, etc. Once I get to my “go to” items I often weed out the rest to recoup cash and space unless there is sentimental or collector value, and that will happen with razors, eventually, too. A little careful trading keeps me from spending too much on hobbies- most of the time, and some times I even walk away with a little change with vintage items.

Top Bottom