What's new

Well crap... Im addicted.

I feel the same way. I have a Edwin Jagger DE89 on the way, one for me, one for littleBB. Along with a Semogue 620 and more soap/cream (I have "enough" already, and the Williams puck works fine for me;) Lather & Wood sandalwood and Proraso Red. I got into this to save money, right? I mean blades are cheaper, yes? That's what I tell Mrs.BB. Once I dial it in, and figure out which blades I want....this stuff will last the rest of my life, knowing how little I throw away...

On the "cheaper" aspect, I always maintain that it's cheaper, even when you dive in head first and start buying up everything in sight... Here's why... And I hope I'm not enabling...

Cart razors, after you open the package, are worthless. Sunk costs. DE, SE, and SR have a value when you're done using them. The better you look after your gear, the better the resale value. And typically, the higher the initial price, the more you can recover when you sell. And because of the very long lifespan of the hardware, those unrecoverable costs are typically spread over decades. Then with the differential in price between carts and blades, in the long run, a DE is almost always going to end up being cheaper. A Wolfman titanium over 40 years is likely cheaper than Gillette Mach 3, or Atra. Forget about the most current premium carts...

And razors are the only valid comparison in costs. If you think about it, when you used carts, you used improper method and technique to shave. If you apply proper method and technique regardless of your razor, your costs are the same. You'll still own and use that $200 brush, that $30 shaving soap, that $40 AS, etc etc... If you went back to carts, you probably wouldn't go back to using Barbasol, would you? I wouldn't.

So therein, you learned how to shave properly by switching your razor to a double edge. You didn't, and shouldn't regard it as if you did, trade your canned goo for quality products and a shaving brush. Instead, you saved money on your razor, and spent more money on properly caring for your skin. But that's always a justifiable expense.

Am I wrong?

SO I found a 66" 4th quarter Gillete Tech at an antique mall yesterday and cleaned it up this morning. Just shaved with it.... DUDES... GUYS... IT WAS AMAZEBALLS! Like.... it was way better than my Merkur Futr. What the hell, and that thin head? Got right under my nose like a champ. I am a fan of the three piece design as well.... I think I have a problem... Well at least its not booze right?!
Nickle or Gold? Also, can you post a photo?

Thanks,
Bill

Nickle or Gold? Also, can you post a photo?

Thanks,
Bill
Nickel.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Your friendly neighborhood BambulanceMan

On the "cheaper" aspect, I always maintain that it's cheaper, even when you dive in head first and start buying up everything in sight... Here's why... And I hope I'm not enabling...

Cart razors, after you open the package, are worthless. Sunk costs. DE, SE, and SR have a value when you're done using them. The better you look after your gear, the better the resale value. And typically, the higher the initial price, the more you can recover when you sell. And because of the very long lifespan of the hardware, those unrecoverable costs are typically spread over decades. Then with the differential in price between carts and blades, in the long run, a DE is almost always going to end up being cheaper. A Wolfman titanium over 40 years is likely cheaper than Gillette Mach 3, or Atra. Forget about the most current premium carts...

And razors are the only valid comparison in costs. If you think about it, when you used carts, you used improper method and technique to shave. If you apply proper method and technique regardless of your razor, your costs are the same. You'll still own and use that $200 brush, that $30 shaving soap, that $40 AS, etc etc... If you went back to carts, you probably wouldn't go back to using Barbasol, would you? I wouldn't.

So therein, you learned how to shave properly by switching your razor to a double edge. You didn't, and shouldn't regard it as if you did, trade your canned goo for quality products and a shaving brush. Instead, you saved money on your razor, and spent more money on properly caring for your skin. But that's always a justifiable expense.

Am I wrong?
Of course not.

The Tech was the first razor I owned. My father gave me his when I first started shaving. Wish I had kept it.

Top Bottom