What's new

We killed the golden goose (aka DE shaving is a hipster fad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm here out of need, and I blame genetics!!

Had a fascinating with shaving since I was a kid. My dad always received shaving creams as gifts, but used them only occasionally. The first time I saw him lather one I ended up fake shaving with him. He let me apply the cream and gave me something plastic that remotely resembled the disposable razor he was using, and so my six year old self had his first shave. The tradition continued but he started to use less and less creams with time which meant more for me. Fast forward eight years and my facial hair was getting thick enough to warrant a shave, so I asked my dad for a razor, grabbed some old canned barbasol he had in the back of his cabinet and shaved. There was no irritation and all was great. One day me mom came home with a match 3 razor so naturally I upgraded and everything was fine, I was happy; shaving daily and keeping up with my new grooming regime. After a couple of years my facial hair started to thicken and so the irritation and ingrown hairs started. I asked my dad but since his skin is the equivalent of dry sandpaper he did not have any useful advice, which is understandable since he could shave against the grain with a broken bottle using water as a lubricant and still be irritation free. The situation is that all of my grand parents are from different nationalities, and while both of my parents are Caucasian, well I have more in common with the more exotic side of the family which made my skin a light brown, extremely sensitive, my hair thick and slightly curly. Anyways, after a couple of years of fighting against irritation I left for college, and it was then when I saw that Gillette had a new vibrating razor promising to lift my hairs and give me the best shave of my life, me being desperate wanted to try it, however my friend told me that they had a styler version of the razor that Kroger put on sale frequently and was a much better deal, I could not argue with that logic so I went ahead and bought it as soon as I saw it on sale. It may be a surprise for most (sarcasm) but the razor part of the device did not improve my shaves, so what I did was use the styler to trim my beard for the next few years and only shave and battle irritation. For special occasions. That was my situation until I stumbled upon wet shaving. My first contact was through videos that showed how to shave with a straight razor which seemed more like a fantasy to me, then I started reading and found the much more user-friendly safety razors and after a few months of thinking it over I figured that the investment was small enough and the potential gain was great and so I ordered my first razor, my first soap, and my first brush, have been shaving almost daily since then with no irritation or ingrown hairs. It does take me substantially more time than cartridge shaving but figured that it was a good excuse to invest in myself and incorporate a good skin routine and just take my time and relax. And as they say in for a penny... In for a pound, I might as well explore different soaps, blades and razors along the way. I figure that as long as bills are paid I can reward myself.

I haventvseen too many millennial hipsters around here lately. A few years ago they were all over the place. Especially goodwill and salvation army picking through the records. No more records atvtjosebplaces anymore. I distinctly remember one grubby hipster shrieking when he struck gold with an art garfunkle album and the ubiquitous Whipped Cream and Other Delights alpert album. Lol. I asked him what he planned to do with them. His answer was sell them on eBay. I'm glad I got there first. I got 3 Sandpipers albums. Love that group. A guilty pleasure.

A fad? Maybe. Or maybe it's just a repugnance at the craven, rootless hypocrisy of the present, and the desire to revisit the past. What else besides shaving offers the opportunity for a man to visit a vanished time and see it, touch it, smell it, and hear it...every single day? I can watch old movies, tv shows, and newsreels - but I can't smell them or feel them. I can buy an old car, but after so many years it won't ever smell like the leather and carpet in my grandfather's '68 Chrysler Imperial.

But every morning, for just a few minutes, my bathroom smells like the old barbershop in Los Gatos, CA where in 1968 I got my first of many haircuts sitting in the big chair where my dad, a host of uncles, both my grandfathers, and one great-grandfather had all sat. And I can fit a blade to a steel handle, and whip up lather that smells of menthol and eucalyptus, or sandalwood, and shave like my grandfathers did.

Or I can strop the straight razor and shave like my great-grandfathers did, in the days when one of them ran a dray company in Ontario and North Dakota, one ran a general store in North Dakota, one was a dirt farmer in Moulton, Iowa, and one was a former cowpoke from west Texas who took to riding fence in Northern Arizona for the federal government. How else can I visit their time, and their world, in so tangible a way?

Fad? Maybe. For some.

Fantastic post. But at this juncture I’d like to point out that nostalgia/revivalism is the mark of a true hipster. Just sayin’.

I haventvseen too many millennial hipsters around here lately. A few years ago they were all over the place. Especially goodwill and salvation army picking through the records. No more records atvtjosebplaces anymore. I distinctly remember one grubby hipster shrieking when he struck gold with an art garfunkle album and the ubiquitous Whipped Cream and Other Delights alpert album. Lol. I asked him what he planned to do with them. His answer was sell them on eBay. I'm glad I got there first. I got 3 Sandpipers albums. Love that group. A guilty pleasure.

Maybe this is what the Hipsters are doing sniffing around DE shaving? Looking for some vintage razors to sell on eBay.

If it’s a fad, it started in 1973 when I began shaving. Yes, I wandered away to cartridges and Norelco for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom