What's new

We killed the golden goose (aka DE shaving is a hipster fad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand, but I disagree. I don't see DE shaving failing nor do I see Gillette's decision to release the Heritage to be any indicator that it is going to fail whatsoever. I think your view is cynical in the extreme, and sounds a lot like gatekeeping to me. You sound upset that DE shaving has garnered a little popularity (gone mainstream) and that people who you feel are not "good enough" have latched on to your pet hobby and it is making you feel less special. Let people like what they like. It doesn't effect you whatsoever. And if they stop liking it in a few months, who cares? I am more than happy to buy up their unloved collections. Things naturally wax and wane, but wet shaving has been around for way longer than any of us and will persist in one form or another long after we are gone. Don't let what other people are going to do impact your enjoyment.

This is a fantastic post because it basically agrees with my contention (ie that it appears that DE shaving has fairly suddenly grown in popularity), and I love it when people agree with me. Obviously the difference between us is our standpoint on fads (if DE shaving is a fad).

Ever hear someone say that a tv show "jumped the shark", implying that they've created an outrageous episode to try and win back viewers? Wonder where it came from? If you weren't alive in the 70s, it's possible you really don't know where that term came from. Well, this is it!

This is a fantastic post because it basically agrees with my contention (ie that it appears that DE shaving has fairly suddenly grown in popularity), and I love it when people agree with me. Obviously the difference between us is our standpoint on fads (if DE shaving is a fad).
Aggressive agreeing.
The uptick in social awareness and niche popularity for DE (wet shaving) is a good thing. It’s cool to be cool for once... I guess? More exposure = more opportunity for me to spend money on new gizmos and exotic soaps. Wait, that’s not good. I keep forgetting I’m poor.

Fashion? I don't think you give enough credit to people. Speaking for myself, although I know I'm not alone, I use a double edge quite simply because I get a superior shave from a double edge than a cart. In other words, it works better. That my friend is hardly "fashion" as you posit. And the rise of double edge shaving is not a "renaissance". There are still too few people shaving with double edge razors to consider it a rennaissance. And to say that everyone using double edge razors are over 50, tell that to my 17 year old son and all the other kids who's fathers have posted here talking about how they have turned their sons onto this type of shaving. You know what? I disagree with the OP's entire post.

All I know, I spent years wasting time with cartridges looking for all that wonderful "best a man can get" crap they kept paying massive money to media markets to sell me...
I went to Braun electrics for more than a decade because I dinna have time for any of it.

Once I finally got a good double edge in my hands, no looking back, and no reason to.
Not fad, factual better shave and with the soaps made over the past six-plus years: after experience as well, period

Well, behavior motivated purely by fashion indicates some sort of aesthetic rather than function as the primary driver for that behavior. But if your main reason for using a double edge over a cart is because the shave is better, I contend that fashion has nothing to do with it.
It’s very fashionable to wear seatbelts, use reusable shopping bags, use proper English, use improper English, own a toothbrush, use a toothbrush, drink NEIPAs, steel water bottles, compost, wear jeans, jog, eat organic “things”, and possibly just maybe DE shave. Things may start out as a “fad” or turn into one but why you keep doing it usually is for a different reason.

It’s very fashionable to wear seatbelts, use reusable shopping bags, use proper English, use improper English, own a toothbrush, use a toothbrush, drink NEIPAs, steel water bottles, compost, wear jeans, jog, eat organic “things”, and possibly just maybe DE shave. Things may start out as a “fad” or turn into one but why you keep doing it usually is for a different reason.

What you say may apply to wearing jeans, and possibly a couple other of the items on your list. But I would not use that term to apply to people's use of seatbelts, shopping bags, proper English, owning or using a toothbrush or double edge shaving. I am referring specifically to myself. However I also contend that there are many people who are not motivated by how their behaviors are pereived by others. What you are saying is an over generalization and I am not someone who finds much use in generalizations.

Let's just collectively clarify some things here.

Q1. Do we agree that wet shaving has had a recent surge in popularity?

Q2. If the answer to Q1 is YES, are the reasons for that surge in popularity due to:

A. Costs associated with cartridge razors?​
B. Better shave experience with DE/SE/Straight razors?​
C. Greater awareness of DE shaving due to the Internet?​
D. Fashion/fad?​
E. A different reason not considered here?​
F. A combination of the above factors?​

Q2. If the answer to Q1 is YES, are the reasons for that surge in popularity due to:

D. Fashion/fad?​

There is no data I'm aware of to support wet shaving is more popular. It may be that buying wet shaving products has become more popular

Last edited:
I think there's a bit of "well, if I'm into it, a bunch of others must be as well...also, look at all this discussion & commerce on the hobbyist fora!" A somewhat interesting discussion, but lots of supposition being presented as absolutes, IMO. Carry on though. I'm curious to see what if anything is revealed in the arguments posited.

D. Fashion/fad?​
I think people disagree with you asking a Simple question(s).

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Ha, well, I'm just using 'DE shaving' as a substitute for 'wet shaving' really.

I'm not saying that it's a nail in the coffin for DE shaving at all. Quite the contrary really. I'm saying that that if Gillette is interested then DE shaving must be getting popular, and I'm positing that it might become (or already is) a fad.
Thank you for not using “wet shaving”,an idiotic term in my opinion as most shaving involves “wet”.

D. Fashion/fad?​
I'd say all of the above except replace D. with Trend. People like to associate with others that enjoy a similar hobby and DE / wet shaving is trending currently. Maybe not a mainstream level but in a close knit circle of forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom