What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

After a hiatus back to the Carrera for a bit

proxy.php

And now for something completely different.

It's ...

A late 1950s Smiths De Luxe with 17-jewel in-house movement "Made in England." An accurate, serviceable watch with distinct English styling just a bit different than the usual run of vintage Swiss styling.

Actually, the numeral markers, hands, and minute "dots" are mirror bright gold and flash handsomely whenever the watch is viewed. It's just that no lighting imagination was utilized when the photo was taken just before church this morning so the mirrored surfaces appear dull.

And now for something completely different.

It's ...

A late 1950s Smiths De Luxe with 17-jewel in-house movement "Made in England." An accurate, serviceable watch with distinct English styling just a bit different than the usual run of vintage Swiss styling.

Actually, the numeral markers, hands, and minute "dots" are mirror bright gold and flash handsomely whenever the watch is viewed. It's just that no lighting imagination was utilized when the photo was taken just before church this morning so the mirrored surfaces appear dull.

that is lovely!!

I really like my Boccia. Super slim watch, that I regularly forget is even there! Mine is similar but has a gray dial to match the titanium bezel.
Yes, Boccia is a new brand that I had not seen before. I read up on the specs and was impressed, so I picked this one and I am very pleased. As you note - thin and lightweight. All their frames are titanium.

Just picked this up from a local (uk) vintage clothes shop. From what I have subsequently gathered, Manchester had a lot of watchmakers, but I can find nothing on JT Cottrill. Please excuse the exposure, I was running out of natural light by the time I got round to taking a pic.

Attachments

• watch.JPG
    watch.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 13
Just picked this up from a local (uk) vintage clothes shop. From what I have subsequently gathered, Manchester had a lot of watchmakers, but I can find nothing on JT Cottrill. Please excuse the exposure, I was running out of natural light by the time I got round to taking a pic.
Very interesting watch. Is that a tiny bit of lume on the hands and hour marker pips at 1,2,4,5,...? I wonder if JT Cottrill was a jewelry store in Manchester back in the 40's or 50's. I see a guy named TJCottrill on twitter, I bet he would like this watch more than either of us. :)

If it is it's no longer luminous. I wound it at 4pm yesterday and it kept good time till 6.30pm today which I'm very pleased with, as it was a bit of a gamble.

Top Bottom