What's new

Watch Ya Wearing

I just received this Borealis Cascais that I bought in their pre-order run this spring.

cascais.jpg

The December watch, it is my most inexpensive one, but it keeps really good time! I wanted to see if I could live with a regulateur, and I am not sure. It can be tough to read in a hurry. I was going to try this and if I liked it I would try to find the Sinn version. I will give it a month and see if it grows on me.
View attachment 1192598

I like that look a lot ....maybe I need to look for one to add to my small collection as I like different.

I bought this Certina Cascadeur a few weeks ago online and have just got round to putting the battery in. It seems to work ok, but i won't wear it till i get a steel bracelet for it. Also chronographs are a mystery to me. Does anyone know of a resource on-line that might have a users guide?

Attachments

• 20201128_140324.jpg
    20201128_140324.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
I bought this Certina Cascadeur a few weeks ago online and have just got round to putting the battery in. It seems to work ok, but i won't wear it till i get a steel bracelet for it. Also chronographs are a mystery to me. Does anyone know of a resource on-line that might have a users guide?
Were you running the chrono in that image? The sub dials aren't always the same, so the user manual would likely be your best source. In short, it should essentially be a stop watch. The tachymeter scale will show how many times you can do whatever your timing in an hour (assuming it takes less than 1 minute to begin). Frequently refers to vehicle speed (time a mile, read speed), but can be used for other tasks as well. Like beers per hour, if you prefer.

Were you running the chrono in that image? The sub dials aren't always the same, so the user manual would likely be your best source. In short, it should essentially be a stop watch. The tachymeter scale will show how many times you can do whatever your timing in an hour (assuming it takes less than 1 minute to begin). Frequently refers to vehicle speed (time a mile, read speed), but can be used for other tasks as well. Like beers per hour, if you prefer.
Thnx yes i definitely need a manual.

I am not familiar with that watch, but if it is like mine then I would expect:
  1. Press top pusher (at 2 o'clock) to start the chronograph
  2. Press top pusher a second time to stop the chronograph.
  3. Press bottom pusher (at 4 o'clock) to reset (zero out) the chronograph accumulated time.
  4. OR instead of #3 above if you press the top pusher again it just continues to accumulate more time from wherever you left off. Use to continue after pausing the chrono time accumulation function.
That is the most common/basic way to use it. If you were trying to get split times, like at a track meet you could use the bottom pusher while it is running to get split times. e.g.
  1. press top pusher to start
  2. press bottom pusher to pause the display (so you can read and/or write down the split time)
  3. press bottom pusher again to resume time accumulation. The hands should quickly jump to display the accumulated time, displaying the current elapsed time like you had never gotten the split time.
  4. repeat split time function (3 & 4) as often as you like
  5. when finally done, press top pusher to stop and bottom pusher to reset back to zero
Which is a long way of saying the top pusher is a start/stop button, while the bottom pusher should be a reset button.

As far as reading the elapsed time off the sub-dials it appears that:
  • Hours are at 10 o'clock, so you can time things up to 10 hours in length.
  • Minutes at 6 o'clock
  • Seconds off the red hand on the main dial
  • 1/10 seconds at 2 o'clock

I just received this Borealis Cascais that I bought in their pre-order run this spring.

View attachment 1192654
How do you like this one so far? There’s an older Borealis that they don’t make anymore that I always liked, I see them pop up for sale every once in a while ago go back and forth on grabbing one but it seems like their quality from that time (2014-15) was a little so-so.

How do you like this one so far? There’s an older Borealis that they don’t make anymore that I always liked, I see them pop up for sale every once in a while ago go back and forth on grabbing one but it seems like their quality from that time (2014-15) was a little so-so.

I like it. The quality seems very decent for the price point. The bezel is a little stiff to turn but everything lines up really well. The bracelet is nice and the movement has been very smooth and accurate.

I had wanted the Portus Cale from a couple of years back but missed that run. You can find them on ebay but when this latest offering came up I was able to get on it and I am pleased with it. My only slight regret is the bezel color. I was originally going to order the blue bezel but in the end I had opted for the grey bezel model because I wanted the pencil hands with date and the blue bezel didn't come in that configuration. The bezel is really more silver than grey in most lights so not exactly what I was expecting, but it's not that big a deal to me.

I can't speak to the older ones but the newer ones from the last 3 or so years have been decently reviewed.

I like it. The quality seems very decent for the price point. The bezel is a little stiff to turn but everything lines up really well. The bracelet is nice and the movement has been very smooth and accurate.

I had wanted the Portus Cale from a couple of years back but missed that run. You can find them on ebay but when this latest offering came up I was able to get on it and I am pleased with it. My only slight regret is the bezel color. I was originally going to order the blue bezel but in the end I had opted for the grey bezel model because I wanted the pencil hands with date and the blue bezel didn't come in that configuration. The bezel is really more silver than grey in most lights so not exactly what I was expecting, but it's not that big a deal to me.

I can't speak to the older ones but the newer ones from the last 3 or so years have been decently reviewed.
Great, thanks for the feedback it’s much appreciated. One of the complaints I saw about earlier ones were really sloppy and loose bevels, sounds like they went out of their way to (over)correct that :cool:

Top Bottom