What's new

Was the Parker 65r a mistake?

I agree with ThomasB98908 get a vintage Gillette - you can't go wrong with either a Tech or a Super Speed. Alternatively get a Gillette "Black Beauty" - the longer handle and the fact that you can adjust it from mild to wild just by turning a dial will make it a purchase you're unlikely to ever regret.

I do not have a 65R. However, I looked it up and found that it is rated as a heavyweight razor with a longer 4" handle, weighing 4.8 ounces (134g), which is heavy even by long-handled standards. The Mühle R89 Grande, by comparison, weighs 80g and the Perfecto long handle lists a ship weight of 1.6 ounces. Careful technique is advised for such a heavy razor. In particular, the weight of the razor must do the work. One way to help ensure that is to guide the razor from the end-tip, the end opposite the head. That prevents the hand applying additional pressure to the handle.
I cannot guarantee to have identified your problem, but weight and compensatory handling is a known issue.

So stay with this one till you master technique, keep us posted.

I've had this razor for two years and was able to get consistent good shaves after following tutorials by Nick Shaves on YouTube. The blade sweet spot is the Astra SP, Gillette 7 O'clock, or the Feather if I'm super careful. The big breakthrough for me was learning the right prep and lather technique. Finally since using the Stirling Soap, it's hard to get a bad shave due to the slickness and protection.

Wow, I thought this thread was long dead ;-)

I've had this razor for two years and was able to get consistent good shaves after following tutorials by Nick Shaves on YouTube. The blade sweet spot is the Astra SP, Gillette 7 O'clock, or the Feather if I'm super careful. The big breakthrough for me was learning the right prep and lather technique. Finally since using the Stirling Soap, it's hard to get a bad shave due to the slickness and protection.

Wow, I thought this thread was long dead ;-)
Nothing dies at BB, it just temporarily leaves and then comes back. ..kinda like a cat does:laugh:

Top Bottom