What's new

Wacker Historic Razors

Wacker straight razors to me have always been one of those that really needs more positive recognition. They are a fine example of a straightforward, well-crafted razor.
I picked up this ”Historic” Wacker from a collection offered by Griffith Shaving (good guys).
Pretty impressive piece of work..made sometime between 2010-2020; surely worth the asking price. Matt still has some available. Not a bad thing to look over what inventory is still up for grabs.
12B5457A-47FF-485D-93C6-F41A91F377CF.jpeg

Lots of great looking vintage SRs listed as well. Not sure about their $1K beard SR, even if only 9 where ever made. It looks clumsy with scales that look a kindergartner cut them out and a horribly unrefined blade even for chopping off beards. Happy SR hunting and even better shaves.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Very nice razor, enjoy! Some real beauties on the site. I can look at all razors with enthusiasm as I’m in a holding pattern and will not be tempted, not be tempted…be tempted, tempted.

Lots of great looking vintage SRs listed as well. Not sure about their $1K beard SR, even if only 9 where ever made. It looks clumsy with scales that look a kindergartner cut them out and a horribly unrefined blade even for chopping off beards. Happy SR hunting and even better shaves.

The one thing that always put me of Wacker are their scales. I think all their current models use horn and they are way too thick, very slab like with minimal shaping, they use a spacer rather than a wedge and the razor is pinned very far into the scales so that when the blade is opened to 180 degrees, there's barely any tang exposed for ones fingers to grip. A shame because their grinding is first quality.

I see your point on the tang issue. It is rather…”abbreviated”. However even with large hands, I have no problems gripping Wacker razors.
The wedge thing…..
Within my collection, straights made by Boker, Tim Zowada, Ralf Aust, Rasoir Sabre, Portland Razor, Robert Williams…all use a spacer. Some razors I own made by Thiers Issard and Dovo use either wedge or spacer. Those by Brian Brown, Koraat, and a couple re-scale jobs by Doc226 use wedges. Hart Steel uses neither.
I acknowledge the validity of the wedge being a preferred way of assembly, but it has never been a deal breaker for me.

The one thing that always put me of Wacker are their scales. I think all their current models use horn and they are way too thick, very slab like with minimal shaping, they use a spacer rather than a wedge and the razor is pinned very far into the scales so that when the blade is opened to 180 degrees, there's barely any tang exposed for ones fingers to grip. A shame because their grinding is first quality.
Yeah, nothing to write home about or really lust after IHMO. Collectable models, yes just not my style for use as daily shavers.

One thing about Wackers…they (like so many other production razors) don’t quite get it as shave ready right out of the box. Edge is maybe close…maybe.
But, after a short workout on a set of proper hones (here a BBW followed by a Zulu Grey finish), things improve quite a bit.
7C1341AA-44DF-4095-B5FF-A427E028EC3D.jpeg

Top Bottom