What's new

Vintage Merkur Slant - New turned wood handle - SECOND ATTEMPT [PICS]

Here's my second go at turning a handle to replace one that was badly cracked. I'm much happier with this one - I think the African blackwood offers better contrast and the extra detailing I think helps as well.

I think the next one I turn I may go for something really light colored on the other end of the contrast wheel :) m Also may try a much more basic design - cylindrical but fatter in the middle maybe. See where the tools take me I guess :)

Cheers,

Rob

$handle4.jpg

Went back and looked at the first one this one is better looking, that white knob on the bottom sticks out like a sore thumb!! Are you gonna cover it? Even a chrome knob would spice it up. Seems tricky to me but it seems like the more you dabble the better they look!! I envy you seems like a fun project :thumbup:

imagejpeg

One of these might look good? What you think?
Well crap my pic didnt show up it was a mergress knob

I really like the handle, but agree that the knob detracts. Maybe a matte finish instead of the polished one on the mergess?

Yeah the bottom handle is definitely a bummer. I think it would be better if it matched the finish of the head. I also experimented to with turning a matching wood "cap" to fit over the white of the bottom. Stay tuned :)

I like the curves, and think that they will offer enough grip as it is without the 'knurling'.
And don't get me wrong, I think the handle is nice, but I think the knurling detracts from the looks by hiding the natural wood grain.

I like the curves, and think that they will offer enough grip as it is without the 'knurling'.
And don't get me wrong, I think the handle is nice, but I think the knurling detracts from the looks by hiding the natural wood grain.

Good feedback! - I've been wrestling with that thought myself. Much appreciated. I think you're very right - I need to simplify and let the wood speak for itself.

I'm turning brush handles as well and I'm feeling the texturing is much more suitable on those than on these very small diameter items. Less is more with the small pieces!

Top Bottom