What's new

Vintage Avon find

990B3A3E-57BE-4F34-9B41-55FB58A1CE65.jpeg
Here is the set.

Good luck on selling it. Check that auction site.

I have several nice Avon decanters my father used to own, some of which I have also put into service. However, I really have no place to display this set. My plan is simply to take it to a couple of my local antique stores. I don’t participate as a buyer or seller on that auction site.

Arrived! Avon Black Suede. Don't judge by sniffing from the bottle, it's just a blast of alcohol. After dry down though it's a wonderful, smooth powdery scent. Slightly spicy, but also slightly green. Reminds me most of Deep Woods, but with more spice. This is from their 1981 "Club Collection" (not even sure what the "O" on the bottle represents).

View attachment 941542

Avon Black Suede is one of my favorite scents.
I recently bought a bottle of Stetson Aftershave just for the heck of it.
It's extremely close to Black Suede. Maybe not quite as "deep" of a scent.
I think the older Black Suede has oakmoss which is probably missing from modern blends...

Stetson doesn't have the longevity of Black Suede aftershave though. Stetson fades considerably after about an hour.

So, if anyone is wondering what Black Suede smells like, try some Stetson.

I have the bottle - need the juice to fill it up! I love Oland.

I like Stetson. Next time I think I'll pay more and get the cologne, as like you say the AS disappears fast.
I have no idea what Oland smells like. I decanted Pinaud Clubman Musk into this one.

Did it come with the stand? It's meant to be displayed like this:
No Stand :( But a beautiful bottle, didn't think it was Avon 'til I looked at the bottom. I was used to them being something :)

Think.. English Leather meets Aramis with some incense and patchouli lurking in the background..
I like Sterling Six Leather, but IIRC don't care for English Leather. Might be best for me that it was empty :)

Did it come with the stand? It's meant to be displayed like this:
No Stand :( But a beautiful bottle, didn't think it was Avon 'til I looked at the bottom. I was used to them being something :)

Think.. English Leather meets Aramis with some incense and patchouli lurking in the background..
I like Sterling Six Leather, but IIRC don't care for English Leather. Might be best for me that it was empty :)

Man, I like that! On the lookout ...

AA

the only problem is, when displayed "full" like the pic above, the juice starts to leak (at least it did with my bottle).. so what I did is empty it out most of the way so the juice level is below the lid when set sideways. It's easier to use from a regular glass bottle anyways.

Last edited:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
the only problem is, when displayed "full" like the pic above, the juice starts to leak (at least it did with my bottle).. so what I did is empty it out most of the way so the juice level is below the lid when set sideways. It's easier to use from a regular glass bottle anyways.

Yeah. I used Wild Country yesterday in the (horizontal) Jaguar; it never leaks but I'm surprised. Must have a gasket.

AA

I bought some 1/8" thick ABS sheet that would lend itself toward making a unique stand for the ship in a bottle decanter. I might have to sketch a design and cut and glue one together....

Attachments

• IMG_5794.JPG
    IMG_5794.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5798.JPG
    IMG_5798.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 7
Yeah. I used Wild Country yesterday in the (horizontal) Jaguar; it never leaks but I'm surprised. Must have a gasket.

AA

The Captains Pride has a different kind of cap than the cars, that faux-cork thing. Bad design I think. I've never had a problem with any of the cars leaking.

Top Bottom