What's new

Vintage Avon find

Discontinued, if not quite vintage, these are the "countertop proud" Avon examples I've managed to acquire so far. They all smell very nice, and contain glycerine just like the traditional Avon scent lines.

proxy.php

proxy.php

NOTE: The Uomo came unboxed and gently used; I posed it in front of the reversed Clint package so the printing on the bottle would show up better.

I already had (and liked) "Clint," in the Paul Revere Bell decanter, but started looking for these after acquiring the "Granite" bottle pictured earlier in the thread. I'm still looking for a few other flavors in reasonable deals: 4-A, Cordovan, Friktion, and Trailblazer.

Getting kind of hoity toity there aren't you John? :wink2: Those are really pretty nice looking.

Found this full Avon capitol today at an antique store for $1. It doesn't have a sticker on the bottom, just the word AVON molded into the bottle. I can't tell what the fragrance is, it doesn't really smell like any of the others I have. I like the fragrance a lot. Any idea what might be in this one, Leather maybe?

proxy.php

Getting kind of hoity toity there aren't you John? :wink2: Those are really pretty nice looking.

Yeah! Heheh. Actually, I was chatting with an older gentleman at the monthly Flowery Branch antique show, the husband of a former Avon lady whose stall I frequent. We were talking about how all the good Avon splashes had been discontinued, and he mentioned that "Mesmerize" used to be his favorite. I hadn't heard of it. He mentioned a few others and the "straight-bottle Avon" AD took root.
Just what I needed! :drool:

Found this full Avon capitol today at an antique store for $1. It doesn't have a sticker on the bottom, just the word AVON molded into the bottle. I can't tell what the fragrance is, it doesn't really smell like any of the others I have. I like the fragrance a lot. Any idea what might be in this one, Leather maybe?

proxy.php

I'd bet on Leather. Or Tribute. Some came with Wild Country, but I'm sure you'd recognize THAT. :wink2:

It's not Tribute, I have some and this is a lot stronger. I went back and found you had one with Leather so I'm guessing that's it. Thanks.

Yes, the Capitol building from 1970-1972 came in Leather and Tribute.

The Capitol building from 1976-1977 came in Spicy and Wild Country, but it was a white Milk Glass bottle.

We were talking about how all the good Avon splashes had been discontinued, and he mentioned that "Mesmerize" used to be his favorite. I hadn't heard of it.

Mesmerize is a currently stocked Avon scent. My grandmother got me a Mesmerize gift set for Christmas. It is not available in an After Shave Splash though, just a balm. The cologne is quite nice.

Last edited:
Here's the latest from a thrift store. A 1902 Haynes-Apperson full of Blend 7 for $1.49, it's an AS I don't have any of. The front fenders have some damage but the Blend 7 smells pretty good.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Mesmerize is a currently stocked Avon scent. My grandmother got me a Mesmerize gift set for Christmas. It is not available in an After Shave Splash though, just a balm. The cologne is quite nice.

Yes, I'm eyeballing a Mesmerize gift set (cologne, body wash, deodorant) on the Avon site here, as a potential wish list item for future gifting from the people who like me. :001_smile
I'll be using the discontinued aftershave splash tonight to check it out.

Here's the latest from a thrift store. A 1902 Haynes-Apperson full of Blend 7 for $1.49, it's an AS I don't have any of. The front fenders have some damage but the Blend 7 smells pretty good.

LOVE Blend 7. I've collected several large decanters, all cars I think. Enjoy!

Here are my finds from the 4th of July weekend. Found for $2 each at a thrift store in Traverse City, MI:

-Avon Wild Country Cologne
-Avon Firm Grip - Wild Country Aftershave
-Avon Supercharge- Everest Aftershave
-Avon Domino Decanter- Everest Aftershave

The Everest has a woodsy top note that reminds me of the original Polo.

Passed on a number of the Chess Decanters, as I am no longer trying to make a complete set, and some other standard Avon bottles that smelled off to me.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Great finds, John! I haven't seen the Domino before, but I love Everest for that outdoorsy scent and the mild cooling. There's an unboxed "Firm Grip" at one of my antique stores, but they're wanting too much for it.

I had not much success this weekend, but I did find some deals on current stuff at the month antique show: roll-on deodorants (Black Suede, Mesmerize, Wild Country) and a Black Suede hair & body wash. My super decanter guy was restructuring his booth yesterday, but promised to bring in a hoard of full, unboxed decanters to an outdoor sale next weekend. As I'm now one of his best customers, I expect I'll have my pick of these for $1-2 each. To tide me over, he handed me a cased Schick type-G butterscotch injector and an uncased type-I Hydromagic injector, gratis!! They're soaking in the Barbacide solution; now I just have to find some blades. I'm going to visit a couple likely old-time pharmacies/gas stations today.

Great finds, John! I haven't seen the Domino before, but I love Everest for that outdoorsy scent and the mild cooling. There's an unboxed "Firm Grip" at one of my antique stores, but they're wanting too much for it.

I had not much success this weekend, but I did find some deals on current stuff at the month antique show: roll-on deodorants (Black Suede, Mesmerize, Wild Country) and a Black Suede hair & body wash. My super decanter guy was restructuring his booth yesterday, but promised to bring in a hoard of full, unboxed decanters to an outdoor sale next weekend. As I'm now one of his best customers, I expect I'll have my pick of these for $1-2 each. To tide me over, he handed me a cased Schick type-G butterscotch injector and an uncased type-I Hydromagic injector, gratis!! They're soaking in the Barbacide solution; now I just have to find some blades. I'm going to visit a couple likely old-time pharmacies/gas stations today.
Two free Schicks is a heckuva weekend if you ask me, especially the I2 HM.

Here's a couple more. A full Tee Off container of protein hair lotion for $1.99 and a 1923 Maxwell full of Tribute cologne for $2.99.

proxy.php

I'm a big, big fan of the hair lotion Tom. Let me know if you want to work a trade.

TheVez2: Clean your inbox!

A trade would be great. I have fairly long hair but don't put anything on it so I'll never use this. I did put some on one morning just to see what it was like.

Went on a trip last week and found a bunch of Avon stuff. I didn't take pics of it all, but here are a few of the best ones.

First up is probably the coolest piece I have ever seen. The "Twenty Paces" set. It is 2 dueling pistols, each is filled with 3 oz of All Purpose Cologne. The set was from 1967-1969. I paid $10 for it, and it was totally worth it.
proxy.php

Next is both versions of the Capitol Building.
White Milk Glass - Spicy, 1976-1977
Amber Glass - Tribute, 1970-1972
proxy.php

It's not often that I am surprised by an Avon bottle, but I saw this one and didn't even know it existed. "World's Greatest Dad", had to have it. It was empty, but I'll clean it out and refill it with Spicy. It is from 1971.
proxy.php

First Edition (67-68) in clear glass, Avon Classics (1969) in brown. It isn't too often I buy a bottle that was empty. But I thought these were so cool and I thought they might make neat bookends once I refill them.
proxy.php

Remember When Gas Pump, these came in Red (1976-1977) and Yellow (1979-1980). I believe the yellow is a bit more rare. This one is full of light musk. This is my first time seeing this scent and it is awesome!

Totem Pole Decanter from 1975, full of Deep Woods. I 've been wanting this one for a while. There was a totem pole at a camp I attended when I was little. Good memories from that.
proxy.php

Don't know if there was anything rare in this box - it was a big box - but they were all for $1 and most if not all were full. Sunday at the Antique Expo.

$2011-07-10_14-29-37_255.jpg

-jim

You bought them all right?

Not a chance. This area is awash with Avon aftershave. And I know you guys love hunting for these things so I wouldn't bother getting them just to pass on, not to mention shipping would not make it worthwhile...

-jim

Top Bottom