What's new

Vintage Avon find

Question for you all. I buy Avon bottles primarily for the AS that is in them. I have some bottles that I am keeping and really like, but most of the bottles themselves I don't care about. So, what do I do with the bottles when I empty them out? I can't bring myself to throw them away.

KJ, I was thinking I'd save up the bottles I didn't want to keep, then offer them in a lot price to some of the antique shops I patronize frequently. Jim's idea of a thrift shop donation seems good to me too!

Here's a little lot of old stuff I just received from the bay. The original aftershave smells the same as the larger Alpine decanter I recently acquired: a nice, mentholated Avon fragrance. I think Everest was the descendant of this fragrance, but the original has more cooling. Honestly, I expected the AS bottles to be bigger (they're 0.5 oz each), but still not a bad little lot for $10 shipped.

proxy.php

Question for you all. I buy Avon bottles primarily for the AS that is in them. I have some bottles that I am keeping and really like, but most of the bottles themselves I don't care about. So, what do I do with the bottles when I empty them out? I can't bring myself to throw them away.

Decant aftershave that comes in plastic bottles into them. ViJon old spice clone could be put into an Avon Spicy bottle.

Decant aftershave that comes in plastic bottles into them. ViJon old spice clone could be put into an Avon Spicy bottle.

Why would you do that when you can put Avon Spicy into that bottle? I already have glass bottles for everything I use. All of the Avon that I use on a daily basis gets decanted into the Avon Apothecary bottles (below). I don't like using the decorative bottles day to day because they are bulky and don't make for a neat den. Some of them come out of hiding for display on special ocasions. Like my Washington & Lincoln decanters come out for a week around Presidents day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you do that when you can put Avon Spicy into that bottle? I already have glass bottles for everything I use. All of the Avon that I use on a daily basis gets decanted into the Avon Apothecary bottles (below). I don't like using the decorative bottles day to day because they are bulky and don't make for a neat den. Some of them come out of hiding for display on special ocasions. Like my Washington & Lincoln decanters come out for a week around Presidents day.

I was assuming that you had used up your supply of the Avon A/S. Some folks actually like the kitschy decanters for display. To each his own.

Ten new-in-box pieces bought in a lot from my favorite Avon dealer!

• "The Red Sentinel" decanter, 5.5oz Wild Country AS and 6oz Wild Country talc
  • "Dueling Pistol 1760" decanter, 4oz Deep Woods AS
proxy.php

• "Wild Mustang Pipe" decanter, 3oz Deep Woods cologne
  • "Totem Pole" decanter, 6oz Wild Country AS
  • "Wild West" decanter, 1.5oz Everest AS
  • "First Volunteer" decanter, 6oz Oland cologne
proxy.php

• "Eight Ball" decanter, 3oz Spicy AS
  • "Barber Pole" decanter, 3oz Protein Hair/Scalp Conditioner
  • "One Good Turn" decanter, 4oz Spicy AS
  • "Stamp Decanter," 4oz Windjammer AS (with a functional rubber "PAID" ink stamp on the bottom)
proxy.php

This was the pickings of 4 full boxes of stuff. I could easily have selected another dozen or so, but I'm trying to pace myself. :001_rolle

The guy has another couple boxes of un-packaged decanters at home with juice, and says he'll make a real sweet deal on any of those (in the Tom-at-the-thrift-store range)! Something to look forward to next week....

Last edited:
I'd post a pic but all you Avon fiends already know what they look like. I snagged a Avon Razor bottle (empty) and a full bottle of Avon Bay Rum.
The Bay Rum smells like Pinaud Bay Rum. The bottle I got smells great. So when was the Bay Rum sold? How old are these bottles?

Oh I was wondering something else about Avon. Is there anything they didn't feature as a bottle in their product lines? Its amazing the varied amount of subject material their bottles featured!!!

I'd post a pic but all you Avon fiends already know what they look like. I snagged a Avon Razor bottle (empty) and a full bottle of Avon Bay Rum.
The Bay Rum smells like Pinaud Bay Rum. The bottle I got smells great. So when was the Bay Rum sold? How old are these bottles?

Believe it or not, Avon Bay Rum dates back to the 1890s (when Avon was founded as the California Perfume Co). I believe it was sold through the early 70s, with another commemorative early 80s release done in a pretty glass bottle with the old-style CPC label. By any chance did you score the boxed 8oz brown barrel decanter that was recently on the 'bay? If so, that's the one I let get away (I already have one, and was willing to let someone else experience the goodness if there was any interest beyond my smallish initial bid).

Oh I was wondering something else about Avon. Is there anything they didn't feature as a bottle in their product lines? Its amazing the varied amount of subject material their bottles featured!!!

Well, I haven't seen any monster or playmate decanters...but then again I don't pretend to have seen them all! :001_smile

That was me who won that...I wondered who that was that bid on it besides me. Thanks for letting me win! LOL

Believe it or not, Avon Bay Rum dates back to the 1890s (when Avon was founded as the California Perfume Co). I believe it was sold through the early 70s, with another commemorative early 80s release done in a pretty glass bottle with the old-style CPC label. By any chance did you score the boxed 8oz brown barrel decanter that was recently on the 'bay? If so, that's the one I let get away (I already have one, and was willing to let someone else experience the goodness if there was any interest beyond my smallish initial bid).

Went out to a couple antique stores yesterday and scored a Country Vendor Bottle that is boxed with Spicy and the Dueling Pistol Boxed with Deep Woods. I wish I had looked at the Pistol better. Its was in its box and apparently the seal in the cap dissolved and it has leaked out over time. Thats not a problem in itself but the aftershave ate through the styrofoam clamshell in one spot! I didn't think alcohol would do that! Oh well! I cant complain I got them both for 10 bucks.

In my area there is a lot of Avon to be had. But for some reason nearly all of it is either Deep Woods or Tai Winds.

Thanks for the info on the Bay Rum. I used to dismiss Avon and not pay any attention to it. Not now! Oh goodness another AD!

I was assuming that you had used up your supply of the Avon A/S. Some folks actually like the kitschy decanters for display. To each his own.

LOL, I'll never use up my supply of Avon A/S. I've got enough Wild Country to last a lifetime, I'm working on the other scents. I do enjoy some of the bottles for display, but for actual use, I find the Apothecary bottles more practical. The thing is there are a lot of bottles out there that I have no interest in. Those are the one's I'm looking to get rid of. I'm not a car guy, and half of the decanters I have are automobiles.

LOL, I'll never use up my supply of Avon A/S. I've got enough Wild Country to last a lifetime, I'm working on the other scents. I do enjoy some of the bottles for display, but for actual use, I find the Apothecary bottles more practical. The thing is there are a lot of bottles out there that I have no interest in. Those are the one's I'm looking to get rid of. I'm not a car guy, and half of the decanters I have are automobiles.

I know what you mean! I have so much juice now that I could be embalmed in the stuff after I die.

What a fun thread!

My father in law gave me a box full of Avon Decanters. All sorts of shapes and sizes. I pulled out an English Bulldog Meerschaum Pipe decanter filled with Wild Country AS that I am currently using. I still like that scent. The other one I pulled out is an Old SPice telescope decanter that is unfortunately empty. The one I want to find is an army jeep decanter that I used to have when I was a kid. I have seen them on the bay but I do not want to pay the shipping charges. It is something else to look for at the antique stores.

Last edited:
Discontinued, if not quite vintage, these are the "countertop proud" Avon examples I've managed to acquire so far. They all smell very nice, and contain glycerine just like the traditional Avon scent lines.

proxy.php

proxy.php

NOTE: The Uomo came unboxed and gently used; I posed it in front of the reversed Clint package so the printing on the bottle would show up better.

I already had (and liked) "Clint," in the Paul Revere Bell decanter, but started looking for these after acquiring the "Granite" bottle pictured earlier in the thread. I'm still looking for a few other flavors in reasonable deals: 4-A, Cordovan, Friktion, and Trailblazer.

WOW WOW WOW, I love those bottles!

Top Bottom