What's new

Vintage Avon find

I don't know I guess I thought it was more rare and I have other aftershaves which I prefer a lot more. I just love the jug so much and I would love to use it as a traveler.

Even though it is vintage, and out of production, there is no shortage of the stuff out there. Avon really had a great strategy to sell AS. Guys didn't just buy another bottle when they ran out. They bought another bottle because the new bottle was cool, or they were gifted bottles by their family because of the bottles. They ended up with much more AS than they could use. This is very good for us now. The vintage market is flooded with these now. Many dealers think they are worth more than they really are, and some prices are crazy, but if you look you can find it cheap.

So, my point is, don't feel bad, go ahead and use it!

When I was a kid in the early 70's my brother's friend had a bottle of Avon aftershave in a dark bottle shaped like a baseball glove. I remember the aftershave had turned into the consistency of honey or syrup. Very strange!

So I had used the Tai Winds twice now. It gave me an insta Headache twice :(. I think I may pour it out and fill it with something else I like.

Picked up the old Avon Brush bottle as well. Only a couple bucks. Filled it with a friends all natural home made aftershave. Love it.

$AvonBrush.jpg

Is it sad I bought the little brown jug for the jug firstly. Now I feel bad using the AS in it.
i

Do to the fact its a collectable? I have a friend that goes nuts over such things. I bought a "new in the box" Mickey Mouse telephone at the local antique store last year. Ive been using it every since. Drives my friend insane LOL. To me its like seat covers in your car. Why keep it nice for the next guy? Use it and enjoy it.

Went to a new to me antique mall yesterday and found numerous Avon bottles, but most were empty, and the ones that weren't were priced over $10.

I did, however, find my first, in the wild, bottle of original Shulton Old Spice, in a cool decanter shaped like a ship. Bottle was full, the contents smell great, and it only cost me $2. Just looked it up, and it appears to be around 40-years old.

Quite proud of this guy. Picked it up for $3 bucks. In excellent shape. No cracks, chips, or scratches. The only defect, and it is very minor, is that the cap (pipe) section sits slightly off center.

Filled this bad boy up with Proraso Green aftershave.

Sitting on my counter next to my Avon Brush Bottle.

Wife thinks I am an idiot. Don't care. How could you not love this?

$AvonDog.jpg

Gah how do you guys find this stuff?? I've never been so fortunate
How hard are you looking??? In all the antique and thrift stores I've been to, across about 10 different states, only a handful haven't had at least one bottle. The key is knowing what to look for. They made well over 300 different bottles in all different themes. It would be easy to overlook a bottle shaped like a battery or a tool if your eyes were trained to look only for car bottles (which are the most common).

I just scored my first big Avon find on the 'bay. Six bottles, all completely full, with shipping for $36. From left to right in the front: Tai Winds in the Sleeper Guy, Everest in the Domino, Oland in the old car. Back row, L to R Leather in the Saddle, Spicy in the Razor and Deep Woods in the Trout.

I tried the Tai Winds today and really like it! All the others seem good just smelling them, except the Everest. SWMBO didnt like it, but maybe on me after it dries down, will be good?

$May 31, 2012 108.JPG

Last edited:
I just scored my first big Avon find on the 'bay. Six bottles, with shipping for $36. From left to right in the front: Tai Winds in the Sleeper Guy, Everest in the Domino, Oland in the old car. Back row, L to R Leather in the Saddle, Spicy in the Razor and Deep Woods in the Trout.

I tried the Tai Winds today and really like it! All the others seem good just smelling them, except the Everest. SWMBO didnt like it, but maybe on me after it dries down, will be good?

View attachment 338747

Great scents, and some bottles I haven't seen.

My wife thinks I'm nuts because of my stuff too. I don't have a cool bottle collection like this, just a bunch of nice aftershaves (although I picked up my first empty Avon bottle the other day, "The Bishop"). But geez, it's not like we're wasting the house note on drugs or booze or gambling! It's a nice hobby where no one gets hurt (except for the occasional self inflicted sting of a bay rum, perhaps). I guess if it were stamps or butterflies or baseball cards it would be more socially acceptable, maybe?

Last edited:
Top Bottom