What's new

Vintage April, 2024

W1 (1951) 'Crat
Astra SP
Stirling Barbershop
Connaught Jade
Avon Spicy

Forget the shave (DFS+)...this is the most beautiful razor ever made. Sure, some of the new machined marvels are pretty, but the Aristocrat is just drop-dead gorgeous.

My well-loved example:

20240416_170423.jpg

Razor: Schick G2 Gold filled Injector Razor
Blade: Schick Plus Platinum injector
Brush: Farvour Turn Craft 528 in synthetic
Pre-Shave: Proraso White Pre-Shave Cream
Lather: Truefitt & Hill Grafton
Aftershave: Truefitt and Hill Grafton Aftershave Balm
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
View attachment 1829522

Just wonderful. 🙂👍

Last edited:
A terrible shave. Could not figure out what was going on. Cut my self, loads of irritation just bad. I’ve used this razor and blade combo before with no issues. I’ve used the soap no issues. When I was cleaning up and cleaning the razor I saw the problem. These pictures we taken after the shave.

IMG_0417.jpeg

This is what I found while cleaning.

IMG_0418.jpeg

Well, I got a little bored and just decided to drag a finger nail on the discoloration on knurling of the Toggle i posted/used earlier today and wouldn't you know, it all came off. Due to the nature of the razor I did not scrub it as vigorously as I generally do and figured the discoloration was something I was going to have to live with. Looks so much nicer now.
Before
1713313318627.png

After some thumbnail action
1713313355274.png

17 April

Kirby Beard No.1 • Astra SS (Ru)
Arko • Semogue 1305
IMG_20240416_140828179.jpg

I've had some great shaves with this in the past - and some absolutely terrible ones! I've not yet worked out what makes the difference. Today was one of the good days.

Perhaps it was the partnership with the Astra - not a combination I've used before. But also a shout out to Arko and the little Semogue boar brush. Both as cheap as chips and proof that you don't need to spend big bucks to get a great result.

Well, I got a little bored and just decided to drag a finger nail on the discoloration on knurling of the Toggle i posted/used earlier today and wouldn't you know, it all came off. Due to the nature of the razor I did not scrub it as vigorously as I generally do and figured the discoloration was something I was going to have to live with. Looks so much nicer now.
Before
View attachment 1830748
After some thumbnail action
View attachment 1830749
A good scrub with a toothbrush and any "paste" style toothpaste does a fantastic job sprucing up any razor without risking wear on the finish. You may want to give that a go on your Toggle (I went this route on mine).

Wednesday morning vintage April shave rated 10/10 using:
  • Razor: 1946 Gillette Contract Tech
  • Blade: early 1960s Comet Super Stainless made by Okava Enterprises in its short-lived factory in Ireland (3)
  • Brush: Semogue Galahad Horse Hair
  • Pre-shave: Noxzema
  • Soap: TOBS Sandalwood
  • Post shave: Thayer’s unscented Witch Hazel followed by Old Spice splash and Stirling Christmas Eve balm
PXL_20240417_133744333.jpg
This was my first use of the Gillette Contract Tech, and it surprised me by delivering one of the best shaves I've had in a while. I’ve got a BUNCH of Techs, and this one has been sitting in a lonely corner of my Curio waiting for me to use it. I went to the Curio to fetch my English Flat Bottom Tech, but this one whispered, “pick me.” I’m glad I did. I was able to attain a 100% BBS finish in two passes plus a single touch up of the difficult sections of my neck adjacent to my Adam's apple.

The brush and soap combination was also perfect, and this was my best ever experience with any TOBS soap. This particular tub was the first "fancy" brand name soap I ever purchased, and I've had mixed results with it. Most likely my prior mixed results stem from using it more during the early stages of my wet shaving journey.

My shave scoring log is found HERE.

Happy shaves everyone :badger:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I started walking along the slippery creek bed of Vintage razors over the past week.... Well, a bit before that, I guess, since I bought a Canada Tech is such poor condition, I'm going to have to scrap it a few weeks ago now.@Balin generously sent me a replacement. I'll use the cute little Bakelite box that came with that first Canada Tech and I might keep the head, as it's stripped down to the brass but doesn't appear to be damaged beyond that.

i added a Flat Bottom Tech #77 the other day and it should show up in the next couple weeks. I also won an eBay auction for a Souplex metal razor. That one might be more than my face can handle, but we'll see.

If I am going to fall into the creek... or skip into the rabbit hole, which 3 piece Gillette Vintage razors should I add? I like the change up the handles so the two piece or TTO models hold less interest for me.... Though I do admit, I've been looking for a 1953 Y2 Gillette President, as that is one of my birth year/quarter razors. i already have the Y2 SuperSpeed. So far, I haven't found a President, though some sold recently did come up during that search...They can get a bit pricey, it seems.

I've read the Gillette Short Combs are a bit better than the Long Combs.. Is this accurate?

Top Bottom