What's new

VIETNAMESE Iced Coffee

Still in the 80's - 90's here....I love Viet iced coffee
Premium-ground-coffee.jpg
...But which brand to use ???....this one : ?

Our friend brings us this back. I want to get some green but can only find it in 10# min purchase. I may need to break down and order some when we get back to civilization as the Behmor does not like going dark enough for this robusta bean.

proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I know it's an Americanized solution, but every one of the 19.7 million Vietnamese restaurants around here use this:
Cafe du Monde.jpeg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I doubt that the chicory is authentic, but the flavor may be the closest they can get without having to charge more than anyone will pay.

This is more a question than a statement, but since most coffee grown in Vietnam is Robusta, can't you just buy some of that varietal and a drip brewer? Ideally one of those metal phin brewers. Then add your sweetened condensed milk, sugar, and ice to the mix. To get a more authentic taste.

Those phin brewers seem to me a vestige of colonialism that ought to have been overthrown. They're awful. When in Vietnam I make sure to avoid them.
This is more a question than a statement, but since most coffee grown in Vietnam is Robusta, can't you just buy some of that varietal and a drip brewer? Ideally one of those metal phin brewers. Then add your sweetened condensed milk, sugar, and ice to the mix. To get a more authentic taste.

yes.....and lenscoffee.com has everything you need...

Those phin brewers seem to me a vestige of colonialism that ought to have been overthrown. They're awful. When in Vietnam I make sure to avoid them.
I think they are fine when used properly. But then again lots of condensed milk and sugar can help hide bitter flavors that may arise. :) Those French baguettes are also another good left over that the Vietnamese enjoyed enough to adopt.

In my view a phin is just one form of a drip pot that was popular in France, Germany, etc. roughly a century ago. While drip pots are not so common these days they can make good coffee.

They drip too little too slowly. By the time you have a reasonable amount the coffee is no longer hot. French press is 10,000 times more effective, the units simply cost more. Obviously for iced coffee less of a concern.

I think they are fine when used properly. But then again lots of condensed milk and sugar can help hide bitter flavors that may arise. :) Those French baguettes are also another good left over that the Vietnamese enjoyed enough to adopt.

In my view a phin is just one form of a drip pot that was popular in France, Germany, etc. roughly a century ago. While drip pots are not so common these days they can make good coffee.

I find French Press in a glass container just a touch too cool as well. So I got an insulated press to help counter that. I have a ceramic drip pot and it also is a touch cool but the coffee it makes is quite good, much like a press pot.

The few Vietnamese people I know prefer ice coffee with sugar and condensed milk. So maybe it is a symbiotic relationship to typically make ice coffee when using a phin. Where the combination of ingredients makes it taste good.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
So maybe it is a symbiotic relationship to typically make ice coffee when using a phin.

That is absolutely true. The coffee straight out of the phin is not so good, but it works beautifully with the condensed milk. I prefer less of that milk than most do (and no sugar at all), but I still must have it.

lenscoffee.com specializes in la creme de la creme of Vietnamese coffees , and the price is very fair....

I use my Cremina 67 Lever, espresso roast ground extra fine, 25 to 30 second pull, pour over ice and add sweetened condensed milk. Woila... perfect Vietnamese style coffee... of course, with a Banh Mi.

My wife just took a 3 week tour of Vietnam. She brought back some different coffees including civit coffee. Her tour guide told them that the French took all the coffee from the plantations for themselves. So the Vietnamese started collecting the civit droppings because that's the only way they would get coffee. Talk about hard up for a cup o joe!

Top Bottom